Notices
C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what does the spring do on plug shield?

Old 06-10-2019, 08:04 PM
Trebor
CF Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default what does the spring do on plug shield?

I have seen pictures of spark plug wires with the heat shield. There appears to be a spring at the end of the shield. What is the purpose of the spring? Does it help hold the wire on the plug? And does the spring make it more difficult to pull the wire off the plug?

Thanks,

Trebor

PS - I have a 2006 and it has the shields. At 46,000 miles, I am just looking ahead to changing them someday.

OK - since I have had almost 40 views and no responses, maybe a pic is in order. Here is a guy from the sales forum trying to sell his plug wires. He posted a pic of the plug wires so you can see what I am talking about. Note the spring at the bottom of the shields.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-7-total.html

Last edited by Trebor; 06-10-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:29 PM
Trebor
CF Senior Member

bump
Old 06-11-2019, 12:15 AM
torquetube
CF Senior Member

Received 192 Likes on 164 Posts

The plug wires are clearanced by the spark plug terminal, not the heat shield, which is necessarily shorter. I think the spring just takes up the gap and prevents the shield rattling against the plug body.

Last edited by torquetube; 06-11-2019 at 04:58 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:05 AM
Trebor
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by torquetube View Post
The plug wires are clearanced by the spark plug terminal, not the heat shield, which is necessarily shorter. I think the spring just takes up the gap and prevents the shield rattling against the plug body.
Thanks for taking a shot at this. The spring must slide over the plug. I would think that spring would make it harder to click the wire boot onto the plug ; And conversely, make the boot harder to pull off the plug when changing the plugs. I'm not sure if I will re-use them.

Trebor
Old 06-11-2019, 10:49 AM
mikeCsix
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 130 Likes on 115 Posts

I would certainly re-use them. A tip I picked up when changing the plugs at 100k miles on my Yukon where it is difficult to get enough mechanical advantage to remove the plug wire/boot from the plug, use a shoelace. Tie a shoelace onto the boot so you can get your hands back for better mechanical advantage to remove the boot if it is stuck to the plug.
The following users liked this post:
Trebor (06-11-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 07:53 PM
luka2sb
CF Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The real reason the spring is there is for EMC concerns. The spring guarantees that the shield is grounded to the block.

i know you called it a heat shield and although it might act like a heat shield , I was told itís also needed for EMC concerns.

Last edited by luka2sb; 06-12-2019 at 07:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Trebor (06-12-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what does the spring do on plug shield?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: