C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question regarding installing a fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 11:12 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Question regarding installing a fuel pump

Having spent a number of hours taking out the driver’s side fuel tank on my ’06 ZO6 and installing the fuel sending unit to the tank, I’m sure hoping I had not interfered with the swing of the float. After struggling a bit to hook up the two feed lines inside this tank, I was able to connect these up to the fuel sending unit. I’d think there is only one way to move these around inside the tank to connect both lines, but wouldn’t be a pain to find out these are now interfering in the swing of the float? Before completing the installation of the tank again, is there any way to confirm the float swings properly? When I hold the tank and shake or move around at different angles, I cannot feel or hear the float moving. Maybe there is an electrical test I can do before I put it back in?

Oh and for those who have experienced the cracked 90 degree fitting at the top of the fuel sending unit, you might consider something similar to the application of shoe goo that was put on this new pump

Last edited by Dirk Miller; 07-08-2019 at 12:04 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:13 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
Before completing the installation of the tank again, is there any way to confirm the float swings properly? When I hold the tank and shake or move around at different angles, I cannot feel or hear the float moving. Maybe there is an electrical test I can do before I put it back in?
Yes!

Measure the resistance across the fuel level sensor pins of the 4-pin connector on top of the pump assembly.

On your 2006 car, the resistance should be approximately 40Ω with the tank right side up (float at extreme low position).

Flip the tank upside-down. The resistance should have increased to approximately 250Ω (float at extreme high position).

If your measurements are the opposite of these, you received a level sensor for a 2007 or later car.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:23 AM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks. Will measure today

Get notified of new replies

To Question regarding installing a fuel pump

Quick Reply: Question regarding installing a fuel pump