Header options? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header options?

Reply

 
 
 
Old 09-08-2018, 10:48 AM
  #1  
saleen556
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: May 2010
Posts: 1,229
Thanked 304 Times in 205 Posts
Default Header options?

What options do we have to remain emission compliant? I know longtubes are out. Considering doing the Heartbeat on my 17 Z06 and believe Iíll need to upgrade them as well.
saleen556 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:51 AM
  #2  
robert miller
CF Senior Member
 
robert miller's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: cookeville tennessee
Posts: 25,669
Thanked 995 Times in 906 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by saleen556 View Post
What options do we have to remain emission compliant? I know longtubes are out. Considering doing the Heartbeat on my 17 Z06 and believe Iíll need to upgrade them as well.
The only thing in a header you can put onto the car is a shorty header. If me & only was looking to do this I would just keep the stock exhaust on it since it is a z06. Robert
robert miller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:08 PM
  #3  
saleen556
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: May 2010
Posts: 1,229
Thanked 304 Times in 205 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by robert miller View Post
The only thing in a header you can put onto the car is a shorty header. If me & only was looking to do this I would just keep the stock exhaust on it since it is a z06. Robert
Thanks for the response. Thatís what I was thinking after more research. I was able to do mid lengths on my 02 Saleen and still pass emissions. Just donít think itís possibles here in Oregon these days.
saleen556 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:35 PM
  #4  
robert miller
CF Senior Member
 
robert miller's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: cookeville tennessee
Posts: 25,669
Thanked 995 Times in 906 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by saleen556 View Post


Thanks for the response. Thatís what I was thinking after more research. I was able to do mid lengths on my 02 Saleen and still pass emissions. Just donít think itís possibles here in Oregon these days.
A few guys in here DID use the stock Z06 stuff then ported it out some on the inside of it THEN had a shop to do the coating on them on the inside & out & said did get just a few more rwhp from them. I really would do this then to spend the money on a shorty header, Plus it will still look stock & the Z06 stuff is better & liter. Robert
robert miller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:39 PM
  #5  
saleen556
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: May 2010
Posts: 1,229
Thanked 304 Times in 205 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by robert miller View Post
A few guys in here DID use the stock Z06 stuff then ported it out some on the inside of it THEN had a shop to do the coating on them on the inside & out & said did get just a few more rwhp from them. I really would do this then to spend the money on a shorty header, Plus it will still look stock & the Z06 stuff is better & liter. Robert

Thatís very creative 😄
saleen556 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:50 PM
  #6  
3 Z06ZR1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
3 Z06ZR1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: salem OR
Posts: 20,286
Thanked 785 Times in 652 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by saleen556 View Post


Thanks for the response. Thatís what I was thinking after more research. I was able to do mid lengths on my 02 Saleen and still pass emissions. Just donít think itís possibles here in Oregon these days.
Where in Oregon? I think Portland is the only area. No emissions here or on the coast. Portland is going crazy anymore I moved out of that area.
3 Z06ZR1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:00 PM
  #7  
saleen556
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: May 2010
Posts: 1,229
Thanked 304 Times in 205 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1 View Post
Where in Oregon? I think Portland is the only area. No emissions here or on the coast. Portland is going crazy anymore I moved out of that area.
Iím in Forest Grove and work in Portland. Trying to plan ahead on my build. Iím going to most likely upgrade the blower to the Heartbeat when my warranty is up.
saleen556 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:29 AM
  #8  
TurboLX
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2003
Location: Detroit MI
Posts: 427
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Your only truly legal option is to retain the factory catalyst in its stock location. That means a stock exhaust manifold or a CARB compliant shorty. When you look at the Z06 manifold, it actually flows quite well and is not the bottleneck. Upgrading to longtubes typically only gives more power because they are also replacing the catalyst, which will not pass emissions. I would concentrate on upgrades elsewhere. The benefit isn't really worth the cost here if you wish to remain emissions compliant.
TurboLX is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: