C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker shorty headers install

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 06:03 PM
pj-c7
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Hooker shorty headers install

Figure I share my shorty header install in case someone finds it useful...
I've read several threads on the subject so I'm aware of the controversy. People are correct though,
it is a minimal power improvement for the cost.

Reason I went with them is cause I'm an idiot and want to avoid emissions test issues.

I had ESP, a local shop, install the Hooker Blackheart Shorty headers. ESP said there were no issues with the install so,
fitment was good. ESP did an awesome job BTW. Cost was 1400 for headers + install + 2 dyno runs. I paid 750 for the headers.

Didn't notice any sound change but dyno did report a power improvement. Pulls were done on a Mustang Dyno. Between weather
corrected and non-corrected, it shows something like 4 to 20 HP increase and 50-60 lb-ft torque.
It feels like it pulls harder in the power band but hard to really tell since it already has a lot of power that I can't use on
the public roads. Haven't taken it to the track yet but won't be till next year; after a long winter

Here's a complete list of mods...

2016 Stingray Z51, stock bottom end,
Magnuson Heartbeat with 84mm pulley (3mm down from stock; 87mm) at 8-9 PSI,
GM secondary radiator, Katech Ported TB,
Alky Control kit, Single M15 nozzle, running 70/30 Meth/water mix. 93 Octane Gas.
BMS Air Filter, and new OEM/ACDelco plugs @.037 gap.

The boost level didn't appear to change; still getting same 8-9 PSI. Actually peaks about 9.5 PSI.
Since the dyno runs looked good, trims looked almost the same, fuel was good (12.2 AFR), I didn't do anything with the tune. I
included the last dyno pull log for the technical/tuning inclined...

Here are all the dyno numbers and pics below....

Baseline Before headers (Very cool out, 45*F but dry)...

553/492 rwHP/Tq
544/484 rwHP/Tq WCF (WCF are lower because it was a cold day; was told anyway).

With Headers and new plugs (60*F, warmer but rainy/humid)...

557/534
573/549 WCF (Weather Correction Factor)

Performance increase....

4/42 HP/Tq
20/65 (WCF)

I'm guessing it should do about 600-625 on a DynoJet right? Which would be slightly better than the average Z06 so....Mission accomplished

Anywhoo...Overall I'm happy with them so far...

Anyone else try these out? Got better/worse results?
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
Headers-Pull1.hpl (1.39 MB, 110 views)
Old 11-11-2018, 04:42 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Im surprised it didnt changed the sounds, even though you kept your cats, i would expect a more meaner sounds!!??
Old 11-11-2018, 08:25 PM
pj-c7
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Think I heard just a tiny bit of difference during idle but I run the exhaust in track mode so don't really hear any diff.

Pj
Old 11-16-2018, 10:55 AM
0JUICED1
Former Vendor

Received 347 Likes on 286 Posts

Not bad. They pair up great with a cat delete too.

Last edited by JUICED1; 11-16-2018 at 10:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
pj-c7 (11-16-2018)
Old 01-11-2020, 04:19 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by pj-c7
Figure I share my shorty header install in case someone finds it useful...
I've read several threads on the subject so I'm aware of the controversy. People are correct though,
it is a minimal power improvement for the cost.

Reason I went with them is cause I'm an idiot and want to avoid emissions test issues.

I had ESP, a local shop, install the Hooker Blackheart Shorty headers. ESP said there were no issues with the install so,
fitment was good. ESP did an awesome job BTW. Cost was 1400 for headers + install + 2 dyno runs. I paid 750 for the headers.

Didn't notice any sound change but dyno did report a power improvement. Pulls were done on a Mustang Dyno. Between weather
corrected and non-corrected, it shows something like 4 to 20 HP increase and 50-60 lb-ft torque.
It feels like it pulls harder in the power band but hard to really tell since it already has a lot of power that I can't use on
the public roads. Haven't taken it to the track yet but won't be till next year; after a long winter

Here's a complete list of mods...

2016 Stingray Z51, stock bottom end,
Magnuson Heartbeat with 84mm pulley (3mm down from stock; 87mm) at 8-9 PSI,
GM secondary radiator, Katech Ported TB,
Alky Control kit, Single M15 nozzle, running 70/30 Meth/water mix. 93 Octane Gas.
BMS Air Filter, and new OEM/ACDelco plugs @.037 gap.

The boost level didn't appear to change; still getting same 8-9 PSI. Actually peaks about 9.5 PSI.
Since the dyno runs looked good, trims looked almost the same, fuel was good (12.2 AFR), I didn't do anything with the tune. I
included the last dyno pull log for the technical/tuning inclined...

Here are all the dyno numbers and pics below....

Baseline Before headers (Very cool out, 45*F but dry)...

553/492 rwHP/Tq
544/484 rwHP/Tq WCF (WCF are lower because it was a cold day; was told anyway).

With Headers and new plugs (60*F, warmer but rainy/humid)...

557/534
573/549 WCF (Weather Correction Factor)

Performance increase....

4/42 HP/Tq
20/65 (WCF)

I'm guessing it should do about 600-625 on a DynoJet right? Which would be slightly better than the average Z06 so....Mission accomplished

Anywhoo...Overall I'm happy with them so far...

Anyone else try these out? Got better/worse results?
I didn't dyno mine but my results were similar. I had mine cerakoted before the install. The passenger side had the holes a little bit off and had to re-drill them. I couldn't get all the ARP bolts in and was afraid I'd strip the heads. I ordered ARP studs and that's when I found out it was the header. Drivers side worked with the bolts and then the studs. When I got it all back together the drivers side, where it connects to the x-pipe, was tucked up a little tighter to the bottom of the car than before.
I didn't notice any difference in sound or power but I didn't really expect to on the street. I did it to lose the 22 lbs at the front and that mission is accomplished. I put the DEI sleeves over the wires but I'm not sure they're necessary. I got the titanium cerakote and the titanium sleeves so it all looks the same.
One thing for sure I'd recommend is the ARP studs. They are money well spent. They also make it much easier to hang the headers if you're alone.
While I had everything out I also put in a Tick performance clutch slave bleeder. It's a really tight fit but with everything out of the way it can be done with the clutch and engine in the car. Then it's easy to bleed the clutch.

Get notified of new replies

To Hooker shorty headers install

Quick Reply: Hooker shorty headers install