Sponsored by:

C7 predictions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 01:50 AM
0Vette Stripes
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08

My prediction would be the same as current C6 to keep cost as low as possible for slow Corvettes and then some special ZR1 features in C7 Z06 ... no more ZR1 for C7

-Mike
Old 12-23-2007, 08:34 AM
Thud
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BSM's will be standard.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:59 AM
Runge_Kutta
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
Runge even if the patent application for internally reinforced
hydroformed assemblies has stalled would that prevent GM from using it?
I pointed that out because I thought it was a bit odd. I have no idea what
the circumstances are surrounding this application. At worst, GM could
pay some other patent holder to use this idea in production.

By the way, while I have your attention: Why isn't this section called the
"ZR-1" section now? Also, are we going to get a C7 thread soon so that
threads like this one don't get completely lost?
Old 12-23-2007, 11:23 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Runge_Kutta
I pointed that out because I thought it was a bit odd. I have no idea what
the circumstances are surrounding this application. At worst, GM could
pay some other patent holder to use this idea in production.

By the way, while I have your attention: Why isn't this section called the
"ZR-1" section now? Also, are we going to get a C7 thread soon so that
threads like this one don't get completely lost?
I'm sure they will change the name soon, that is easy, adding it to the drop down menus is what takes money. We can ask about a C7 section but I wouldn't hold your breath.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:35 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

WhiteDiamond, how does DoD add weight to the exhaust system?
It is my guess, I am no expert on what really happens to the frequency, that when the engine changes from 8 to 4 cylinder operation, there is a dramatic change in the frequencies within the system. I believe this has to do with the change in exhaust "pulses" down the system. Anyway, with the current DoD vehicles(GM's version) and the MSD vehicles(Chrysler's version), there is some additional exhaust system components in the form of mufflers. I know the Dodge trucks added 1 muffler and it appears the GM did the same with the DoD vehicles(or enlarged the muffler for more chambering). This is how they deal with the change in exhaust tone/frequency. The Corvette currently offers very little real-estate for additional exhaust system components, or even enlarged components.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:53 PM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

The DoD changes all the exhaust frequencies, and so what sounds good in V8 mode, does NOT in V4 mode.

Just because a patent is "stalled" doesn't mean its SOL, theres a giant backlog of patents for the near future. They will most likely still continue with the manuf. process regardless of technicalities because they've independently come up with the research most likely and its very beneficial to their own goals.

Slightly OT, but where is the link for the Al framed GMT's ? I'm curious as to whether this is just for the people mover half-tons or not.

As per the C7, if they implement the technical range that Runge is talking about and it still comes up a bit short, would it be plausible at that point that Corvette would take to its own brand and be shielded from CAFE? (Is that how CAFE implications would work?)
Old 12-24-2007, 01:23 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by OKsweetrides
The DoD changes all the exhaust frequencies, and so what sounds good in V8 mode, does NOT in V4 mode.

Just because a patent is "stalled" doesn't mean its SOL, theres a giant backlog of patents for the near future. They will most likely still continue with the manuf. process regardless of technicalities because they've independently come up with the research most likely and its very beneficial to their own goals.

Slightly OT, but where is the link for the Al framed GMT's ? I'm curious as to whether this is just for the people mover half-tons or not.

As per the C7, if they implement the technical range that Runge is talking about and it still comes up a bit short, would it be plausible at that point that Corvette would take to its own brand and be shielded from CAFE? (Is that how CAFE implications would work?)
Search for interviews with Lutz, he mentioned it in an interview and I think we discussed it in one of Runge's threads.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:43 AM
Runge_Kutta
Burning Brakes

TITANIUM APPLICATIONS:

While titanium is potentially getting less expensive

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehicles...er07_peter.pdf

(this won a 2007 R&D award):

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehicles...cvt_rd100.html

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^

Armstrong Process CP Ti and Ti Alloy Powder and Products, (International Titanium
Powder, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, BAE Systems, AMETEK, the National Energy
Technology Laboratory, and Red Devil Brakes). The Armstrong Process is a new
method of producing titanium powder that reduces costs significantly. Titanium's
strength, low mass, and corrosion resistance make it ideal for many manufacturing
uses, but it is prohibitively costly because of the difficulty and expense of
extracting it from ore. The Armstrong Process extracts titanium from ore much
more cheaply than conventional methods, making titanium feasible in many new
applications. This is the most significant development in the titanium industry
in 50 years and can produce titanium continuously, unlike other methods.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv vvvv

I still think it is way too expensive for the base model. This article has some
great pictures of titanium automotive parts.

======================================== ========================
http://www.webs1.uidaho.edu/imap/Fin...0in%20Auto.pdf

These are also interesting:

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0026-0657(06)70736-6
http://engine-materials.ornl.gov/Kraft-Titanium.pdf
http://www.dynamettechnology.com/
http://www.itponline.com/index.htm
======================================== ========================

As an aside, I suspect that with the recently passed law on increased
vehicle mileage, government support for technologies that facilitate
better mileage will increase. Possibly, the acceleration of magnesium
and titanium technologies could occur.

Check out the 10,000,000 plug that the Armstrong process just got:
(Search for the word titanium on this web page)

http://durbin.senate.gov/Approps_2007.cfm

There are actually three items; $10M, $6.2M, and $1.35M.

Added:
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2006.12.015
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.triboint.2007.02.020
http://www.reddevilbrakes.com
http://www.reddevilbrakes.com/page/page/1001014.htm

http://www.itponline.com/Presentations/Borys.pdf (see the last slide - meet Donn Armstrong himself!)

Last edited by Runge_Kutta; 12-26-2007 at 07:43 AM. Reason: To add new material
Old 12-24-2007, 04:00 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if the cold war gets hot again goodbye to ti prices
Old 12-24-2007, 05:27 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

My predictions~
1. CAN
2. DoD
3. DI (this one for sure.)
4. Lighter weight components
5. Seats that don't "rock"
6. Refined "CAGS"
7. Steering by "wire"
8. A reduction in power (sorry but the gov't is noticing power levels now.)
9. An all wheel drive edition (maybe C8,C9 gens...or not.)
10. Limit on production to < half of current production. (This may help CAFE #'s.)
11. The powerplant will share with other chevy models
12. The trans will too.
13. RHD for certain markets

And now, something completely different...

What I doubt will happen~

1. Mag wheels (DOT doesn't like 'em.)
2. Marked increase in power
3. Lexan windows
4. A "racing edition" that John Q Public can buy
5. Non run-flat tires
6. SMC trans
7. Less electronic computer wizardry
8. No rear facing camera for parking

These 2 lists are in no way complete so please add your thoughts
Old 12-24-2007, 06:07 PM
cbgpe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default My wish list

What we know:
- The specs of the ZR1
- Various GM reports and patents on the use of CF, aluminum, magnesium, titanium and hydro-forming.
- Europe and EPA/CAFÉ regulations demanding higher gas mileage.
- Ferrari stating how they will go lighter, not more HP.
- Rear mid-engine mules have been reported to me, and to the press.

I predict the base C7:
- Aluminum hydro-formed internally stiffened frame with targa roof.
- Entire body and trunk bucket in CF, front and rear facias will remain flexible.
- More magnesium, wheels and maybe the engine block???
- More titanium, the exhaust again???
- If the CC rotors and pads can go 100K miles under normal use they will be standard, if not they will be an option. (and the price on a used C7 with near 100K miles will be very low )
- Magnetic shocks standard
- 450-500 HP w/variable valve timing and displacement on demand cruising (How it makes the HP, how many valves and camshafts is anyone’s guess)
- A true F1 tranny as an option (Not first year of production)
- If rear mid-engine AWD will be explored and may become an option (Not first year of production)
- Run flat technology will make the spare obsolete for all cars and trucks and only hard core track guys will still want a non-run flat for track days.
- The mono-composite leaf springs will stay because of the packaging they allow for not only rear mid-engine but front trunk space too.
- More electronic wizardry in the TC/AH/brake apply/magna shocks etc.
- Weight: No more than 3000 lbs

What are your predictions?
Predictions ...not sure but here is my wish list
Direct Gasoline injection
Mixed mode engine operation compression ignition & spark ignition with variable compression ratio
E85 friendly so that the full benefit of E85 can be realized We can make a LOT more power with E85 than gasoline BUT only if we have variable compression
variable valve timing , electro magnetic ? a system was shown in a recent SAE Journal
Variable displacement
At least 3 valve engines BTW 3 is almost as good as 4 and gives better combustion chamber shape
Lighter weight
Improved fuel economy so GM can build them
mid engine so we can actually use all the power the car has at street legal speeds
(had my z out today in comp mode rolled on the throttle in 2nd gear between 1500 but less than 2000 rpm blew away the tires car moded by the vette doctors 543 rwhp 504 rwtorque)
The need for improved fuel economy is a fact of life. Otherwise plan on keeping your C6 ZO6 & your ZR 1 for the rest of your life they just will not be able to make them all that much longer
Old 01-30-2008, 02:56 PM
markabc6
Racer

Very nice

I must echo a lot of the OP predictions.

I see small differences in new power plant technology...possibly after the C7 emerges.

Similar HP (400+) in coming years with more influences in DI, variable cam and intake tech…which would effectively make the engine peakier with less torque produced in the lower RPM range. This would give us the Hp for the hard WOT runs and a band with enough complacently in a power range for fuel economy.

Which this would require the use of 8-10-12 speeds for better drivability. I believe the days are limited for “conventional” manual transmissions are now upon us. I believe to get a 30% increase in fuel economy this could conceivably be accomplished…~25 to ~33mpg.

The use of more lightweight materials will be used, but perhaps not so much of the “exotic” flavors that we would like to see. Prices, availability, and manufacturing will drive those out of “the got to have it” category. Mostly as an incentive to insurance carriers and replacement, costs will be held to insure a “modestly” affordable vehicle.

I am not against the “heavy” use of CF and Ti, but I think as a mass-produced vehicle, it will not happen…soon. Perhaps the use of injected or blown molded panels from constant dye polymers already in the desired color finish, thus added durability and paint negativity (how much weight does a few coats of paint and clear coat save?) This would also add to the “green” value of the car. This has been tried before (UV and color matching ) .

IMO, a capable DD with 400+ HP for the average Joe paycheck and not being AWD or considerably more nanny functionality is terrifying for me. Not in the sense that I feel that I can’t handle it or wish it to be taken away, but I just feel all that power should be firmly planted while driving in every day public street occurrences.

Ok, my predictions (and a few rants )

Old 01-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by gmoller
Just my 2 cents..
If GM, or anyone, is gonna hit a CAFE standard like 35 mpg, they need to seriously put their big vehicles on a diet. i mean, downsize the SUVs and trucks, cutting weight very significantly Direct injection and variable displacement engines. More high tech diesels in trucks. Aluminum frames on everything with a separate body/frame. All the E85/flex-fuelishness needs to be ignored. It drops mileage too much.
Most do not understand why the E85 vehicles are being produced. As a matter of fact, the way the current CAFE standards are being written, it could be that all Vettes would be E85 capable.

Here is why:
"The irony here is that although E85 in fact gets poorer fuel economy than gasoline, for CAFE purposes, the government counts only the 15-percent gasoline content of E85. Not counting the ethanol, which is the other 85 percent, produces a seven-fold increase in E85 mpg. The official CAFE number for an E85 vehicle results from averaging the gas and the inflated E85 fuel-economy stats."

This is from a couple of sources.

If one looks at programs like LSx Edit, one would see that there is space in the fuel tables for different ethanol levels. They are just no used.

On the LPE electric motor idea. It's been done on a Mini. One big problem, if you want the car to handle is the huge increase in unsprung weight, if you have the motors at the wheel. If half the motor is directly attached to the wheel, also increase the rotational mass, also a bad thing.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:20 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

I'm sure they will change the name soon, that is easy, adding it to the drop down menus is what takes money. We can ask about a C7 section but I wouldn't hold your breath.
They listened, and added a whole bunch of new mods.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:28 AM
Gohard777
Burning Brakes

What we know:
- The specs of the ZR1
- Various GM reports and patents on the use of CF, aluminum, magnesium, titanium and hydro-forming.
- Europe and EPA/CAFÉ regulations demanding higher gas mileage.
- Ferrari stating how they will go lighter, not more HP.
- Rear mid-engine mules have been reported to me, and to the press.

I predict the base C7:
- Aluminum hydro-formed internally stiffened frame with targa roof.
- Entire body and trunk bucket in CF, front and rear facias will remain flexible.
- More magnesium, wheels and maybe the engine block???
- More titanium, the exhaust again???
- If the CC rotors and pads can go 100K miles under normal use they will be standard, if not they will be an option. (and the price on a used C7 with near 100K miles will be very low )
- Magnetic shocks standard
- 450-500 HP w/variable valve timing and displacement on demand cruising (How it makes the HP, how many valves and camshafts is anyone’s guess)
- A true F1 tranny as an option (Not first year of production)
- If rear mid-engine AWD will be explored and may become an option (Not first year of production)
- Run flat technology will make the spare obsolete for all cars and trucks and only hard core track guys will still want a non-run flat for track days.
- The mono-composite leaf springs will stay because of the packaging they allow for not only rear mid-engine but front trunk space too.
- More electronic wizardry in the TC/AH/brake apply/magna shocks etc.
- Weight: No more than 3000 lbs

What are your predictions?
Probably the only stopping it is the Government.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:39 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Base 500HP

HUD new version.

Quick Reply: C7 predictions...