'13 or '14 which will it be

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 10:17 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by range96
He is saying C5 was all new - lots of first year issues, C6 was a revamped C5 - a lot less first year issues.

C7 will be a revamped C6 - expecting only minor first year problems. Makes sense.
How do you know the "C7 will be a revamped C6"?
Old 05-04-2012, 11:37 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jb_va2001
Good question.
The 2014 Corvette could be all brand new from the tires to the roof panel sharing no parts with with the C6 (or C5), I doubt it of course but we really don't know for sure just yet.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:44 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jb_va2001
We didn't . . . Until GM CEO Akerson stated the C7 would be "revamped", which I imagine he meant from the C6.

An authoritative source? Yes.

But the truth lies in what he did not say: All new, totally restyled, etc. He said "revamped". Not a good sign.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:52 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
But the truth lies in what he did not say: All new, totally restyled, etc.
True.
But he also did not say that it would have a 4 cylinder turbo diesel with a CVT 10 speed transmission and rear seats either, should we now assume that it will come with those items standard?
Old 05-05-2012, 12:43 AM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
True.
But he also did not say that it would have a 4 cylinder turbo diesel with a CVT 10 speed transmission and rear seats either, should we now assume that it will come with those items standard?
You may assume whatever you wish.

However, there can be no denying that the one of the words that the CEO chose to describe the C7 was "revamped". He did not use any terminology to indicate it was "All new", "revolutionary", and so forth. CEO's don't want to be caught lying in public, so it is my conclusion that he is aware that the C7 is a revamped C6.

I would not mind that, frankly, since the Corvette has been an evolutionary vehicle, anyway.

A CVT trans or a diesel engine would result in a bit more than a "revamped" Corvette, I'd say. As would gullwing doors, right?
Old 05-05-2012, 12:59 AM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

re·vamp
   [v. ree-vamp; n. ree-vamp] Show IPA

verb (used with object)
to renovate, redo, or revise: We've decided to revamp the entire show.

noun
an act or instance of restructuring, reordering, or revising something; overhaul: a revamp of the nation's foreign policy.

Maybe Akerson used "revamped" in the wrong context. Or maybe he said it just to throw everyone off. Just because the car is said to be revamped doesnt necessarily mean its going to be an upgraded C6. My guess is that the C7 may use the same chassis and that is where the similarities most likely end. Still overall the end result will be obvious. the C6 doesnt look like the C5 and vice versa. Regardless I think the C7 will grow on everyone like the C5 and C6 did.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:53 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pTr73
re·vamp
   [v. ree-vamp; n. ree-vamp] Show IPA

verb (used with object)
to renovate, redo, or revise: We've decided to revamp the entire show.

noun
an act or instance of restructuring, reordering, or revising something; overhaul: a revamp of the nation's foreign policy.

Maybe Akerson used "revamped" in the wrong context. Or maybe he said it just to throw everyone off. Just because the car is said to be revamped doesnt necessarily mean its going to be an upgraded C6. My guess is that the C7 may use the same chassis and that is where the similarities most likely end. Still overall the end result will be obvious. the C6 doesnt look like the C5 and vice versa. Regardless I think the C7 will grow on everyone like the C5 and C6 did.
True, it could just be a matter of semantics or interpretation.
One man's 'revamped' could be another man's 'all new'.

Is the C6 merely a revamped C5?
I never considered it as such, the exteriors look no more alike than the C4s and C5 do in my opinion and the interior appearances are quite dissimilar as well. Pop up headlights versus covered, oval tail lights versus round, shorter overall etc.
I could easily deal with a C7 that's only as different from the C6 as the C6 was from the C5. Especially if it's still value priced (ie: base MSRP of $53k or less).
Why would I accept such a thing?
Well, because the C6 (and even the C5 before it) is just overall that good in my opinion.
But, I do still want to see more power, less weight and more supportive seats/slightly better quality plastics as much as the next guy though.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:52 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Revamped is not a precise term. In the auto business, neither is new, nor all-new. They're marketing terms, folks, not engineering terms.

Honestly, keying on Akerson's offhand comment about C7, drawing the word "revamped" out of it, and then going to the dictionary to suss out anything of substance? Grasping at straws. Go look up that phrase.

.Jinx
Old 05-05-2012, 06:17 AM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

I take it you guys don't like each other.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:56 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by proexpert
I take it you guys don't like each other.
It's an emotional subject, made even worse by Akerson's poor choice of words. And he's the GM CEO! Forum contributors get frustrated by the dearth of good information, and vent at others. Human nature.

The fact is, I want the C7 to be an exciting, attractive, powerful, nimble and lightweight car. I imagine many others do, as well.

And then, there is that "bang for the buck" quality that makes it a Corvette.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:48 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
True, it could just be a matter of semantics or interpretation.
One man's 'revamped' could be another man's 'all new'.

Is the C6 merely a revamped C5?
I never considered it as such, the exteriors look no more alike than the C4s and C5 do in my opinion and the interior appearances are quite dissimilar as well. Pop up headlights versus covered, oval tail lights versus round, shorter overall etc.
I could easily deal with a C7 that's only as different from the C6 as the C6 was from the C5. Especially if it's still value priced (ie: base MSRP of $53k or less).
Why would I accept such a thing?
Well, because the C6 (and even the C5 before it) is just overall that good in my opinion.

But, I do still want to see more power, less weight and more supportive seats/slightly better quality plastics as much as the next guy though.
Here is my interpretation which is worth?

" Revamped" to me, as used by Akerson, suggests there is significant changes from the C6 to the C7 deserving calling it a new model, but....

There was a time when that had real meaning such as going from C1 to C2/3, C4, and C5/6. Note my grouping(s). Within each grouping The level of change was much more about visual design, not to suggest there wern't engineering advancements as well. Now, with the C5/6 we are at a crossroads. Is C5/6 engineering so far behind that a totally new car must be called a C7 or, will it be a visual change backed up by enhancements along the lines acceptable to LS1LT1.

In my opinion the C7 will be an all new look backed up by an evolutionary more forward in engineering. That's what I think Akerson was trying to express. Even though he is the top bead counter he is still a guy and I bet he has more than just a causal appreciation of the products under his control, especially the halo ones, now that Pontiac is gone. Please no flames with that comment. Thanks for reading.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:57 PM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx

Honestly, keying on Akerson's offhand comment about C7, drawing the word "revamped" out of it, and then going to the dictionary to suss out anything of substance? Grasping at straws. Go look up that phrase.

.Jinx
I posted the definition from the dictionary to rule out conjecture;

(Here is the definition incase you dont know)

con·jec·ture
   [kuhn-jek-cher] Show IPA noun, verb, con·jec·tured, con·jec·tur·ing.

noun
the formation or expression of an opinion or theory without sufficient evidence for proof.

an opinion or theory so formed or expressed; guess; speculation.

I didnt do it to "grasp at straws". I seen the video and I dont think Akerson used the word "revamped" as a marketing term, he simply answered a question that was asked to him without warning. I think maybe he used the word in error or in poor context. And whether the word was used as a marketing term or simply because he just used it, they would still hold the same meaning...

Quick Reply: '13 or '14 which will it be