Sponsored by:

Why is it taking so long?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 05:28 PM
TonyCool
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Why is it taking so long?

Interestingly the C7 section in this forum started back in 2007. Back then people knew the C7 wouldn't be here till 2011-2012. The 6th generation had just been here for a little over 2 years, but people was really excited and enjoyed guessing. After some time things settle a little bit.

On 2009 when the Stringray concept came out the hype increased considerably, everyone started talking about what the new car would really look like. We all started collecting renderings and started guessing performance characteristics and pricing.

Back then people was still thinking the car would be here by 2011/12, after all it was 2/3 years away, more pessimistic people was debating on whether the C7 first model year would be an anniversary edition in 2013 or whether GM would wait and introduce the c7 as a 2014 model. Most people thought there was no way GM would wait till 2014. People were discussing on whether they should buy a 2010 Zr1 or wait for the c7. In retrospective I think it's clear to see what the right decision was.

We have been trying to maintain the enthusiasm about the new generation for several years now. But recently I don't see anything exciting in the c7 section. I find this interesting as we are just a few months away from seeing the car, I'm not sure this is a good sign. In my opinion GM is taking too long and it's not doing a good job at keeping the momentum going. I think they should have released at least some information to keep people interested.

I've to wonder though, why is it taking so long? Look at the new viper, in 2009 they announced that the 2010 would be the last model year, on 2010 they said the viper would be back in 2013, it's just 2 years later and we have seen it already. And in my honest opinion I think SRT did an overall awesome job with the new viper.

Do you think GM is bringing something really special to the table that would blow us all away? Or why do you think they are taking sooo long?

I for one can tell you that if they end up releasing a warmed up version of the c6 or something that looks anything close to the Jalopnik renderings I'd be truly disappointed.

What do you guys think?
Old 05-31-2012, 05:47 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I think a part time job or a couple shots of Jack Daniels would quite your overactive mind and free you to ponder the truly important crap . . . . .
Old 05-31-2012, 05:53 PM
TonyCool
Racer

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
I think a part time job or a couple shots of Jack Daniels would quite your overactive mind and free you to ponder the truly important crap . . . . .

Hahaha you are wrong. I have a full time job with exhausting long hours and that hasn't helped. I haven't tried the Jack Daniels route though... Maybe it's because I'm a real car guy that this is more important to me than it's to you .
Old 05-31-2012, 06:10 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyCool
Hahaha you are wrong. I have a full time job with exhausting long hours and that hasn't helped. I haven't tried the Jack Daniels route though... Maybe it's because I'm a real car guy that this is more important to me than it's to you .
I share your concern. I believe the C7 will in fact be an evolved C6, just as the C6 was an evolved C5. I have no problem with that, but Jeez, the Jalopnik renderings make me nauseated.

During the C7 gestation period GM was very financially stressed. Thus, the C7 will really be only a refreshed, and lightly re-engineered C6. I have the feeling that it will be the C8 that people will be in awe of.

The C7 will be an improved, freshened, lighter-weight and smaller-engined C6, I think. Maybe a supplier or vendor will provide an accurate leak.

But my opinion and $4.75 will get me a cup of bitter coffee at Starbucks.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:38 PM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Plenty of excitement here, and a light at the end of the tunnel. We know when it's getting revealed, and the guessing has already come complete circle. Not much more than to just wait and see.

I'm guessing the Jalop renders aren't far off, BUT... I can guarantee a render isn't going to do the car justice. If all you care about is the exterior look, I could understand some of the negativity shared on the forums. I need all the details before I'll make up my mind.

Luckily, there is variation in personal aesthetics. Otherwise, the world would be a very boring place.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:39 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Good advice!
Old 05-31-2012, 06:40 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyCool

LOL - I'm off to work to becoming a real car guy.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:02 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Ask camaro5 and myself about the enthusiasm of the zl1. Outperformed, outdesigned, out engineered, before it even hit the showroom floor. I have a feeling sadly that this car will not/cannot be a breakthrough in technology, revolution or whatever you want to call it. GM got blindsided and flat out kicked in the you know what's with the release of the gt500 in regards to the zl1. Now, hopefully it will not happen again but SRT certainly raised the bar. And for that matter, so did Ford.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:02 PM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

Considering how many model years there were with the C3 (15 with a long final year) and the C4 (13) I am in no way bothered by C6 being drug out for only 9 model years. Shoot, if dragging it out another year would give us a better car... go for it.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:13 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mitchydkid
Considering how many model years there were with the C3 (15 with a long final year) and the C4 (13) I am in no way bothered by C6 being drug out for only 9 model years. Shoot, if dragging it out another year would give us a better car... go for it.

Do you really think that is an option?
Old 05-31-2012, 07:44 PM
TonyCool
Racer

Originally Posted by WaxWeekly
Plenty of excitement here, and a light at the end of the tunnel. We know when it's getting revealed, and the guessing has already come complete circle. Not much more than to just wait and see.

I'm guessing the Jalop renders aren't far off, BUT... I can guarantee a render isn't going to do the car justice. If all you care about is the exterior look, I could understand some of the negativity shared on the forums. I need all the details before I'll make up my mind.

Luckily, there is variation in personal aesthetics. Otherwise, the world would be a very boring place.
I agree with you. Nothing to do but just waiting.

While performance is really important you have to admit it's only on rare occasions you get to flirt with the car limits. Unless you track your car often or you street race which is irresponsible and dangerous. With that in mind the looks of the car become really important. I can't get on board with a car if I dislike it's exterior styling. I'd never for example buy a Nissan GTR or a Lexus LFA (even if I could afford it) just because I hate their design.

Last edited by TonyCool; 05-31-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:03 PM
TonyCool
Racer

Originally Posted by mitchydkid
Well if the C6 base had as nice of a design as the c3 (in it's time) or if the c7 turns out to be as much of an improvement as the c5 was after the c4 I wouldn't have a problem waiting some more either. I guess we will see if the wait is worth it or not.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:10 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

The new Viper isn't much different from the old Viper. It's a new skin and a new interior and some tweaks to the same chassis. The windshield is the same, which likely means the firewall is the same, which is a pretty big deal. And it's easier to make refinements to a vehicle that's essentially hand-built in small numbers, as compared to a volume production vehicle like Corvette.

C5 to C6 was a more significant update. C6 to C7 will be at least as significant as C5 to C6, and perhaps moreso (if aluminum frame rumors are true). I bet parts commonality from C6 to C7 will amount to fasteners and some engine accessories. It will be akin to the effort behind the new 911, except in Corvette's case the all-new body will be more obviously all-new.

I think it was Lutz who said we could have had a refreshed Corvette sooner, but he and others recommended a more thorough update.

And if you think it's taking too long, take a step back, and be thankful it's happening this fast, or at all.

.Jinx
Old 05-31-2012, 08:19 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

It's formal debut is only a bit more than 6 months away.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:48 PM
TonyCool
Racer

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I know I can't wait to see it. I'm just hopping all this waiting is because GM has something really cool in store for us.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:22 PM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

answer is simple... GM went bankrupt. they weren't going to invest millions they didn't have into a low profit project. they spent that money on things like the Malibu, Equinox, Cruse and the Buick line...ya know the bread and butter. if it werent for all that, we might have seen it sooner...but maybe not. remember, the C3 lasted 15 years, the C4 13 years and the C5 8 years. what made everyone think the C6 would only be 5-6 years???
Old 05-31-2012, 11:19 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

There is a new Corvette coming soon.

Get notified of new replies

To Why is it taking so long?

Old 05-31-2012, 11:21 PM
Senna1994
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
What the hell, its about time, actually about 4 years too late.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:36 AM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
[/B]

Do you really think that is an option?
With the economy still in the toilet, it may not be a bad idea. There are people with money that will still be able to afford it, but based on how things are going in the market there are a lot that cannot or won't spend that kind of money until it picks up again.

The C7 should have been released in 2010 or 2011. The life span of generations is too long for Corvettes. They need to be coming every 5-6 years not 8-9 years.

Last edited by chaase; 06-01-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:03 AM
ghostmech
Le Mans Master

"Patience Grasshopper, patience"

Quick Reply: Why is it taking so long?