Sponsored by:

New digital dash, ugh!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 11:16 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch Z
This one is pretty nice also. I find this interior provies an outstanding driver's environment:

I like it but it's like my former Toyota Matrix. It's gotta be even better.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:35 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,837 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash

See, now this is an amazing interior. Dodge usually does do a good job on interiors though. I never really like the interior on the older Vipers, but THIS is absolutely perfect.
Yup, they knocked it out of the park with the new Viper interior.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Slynky
Not sure I understand correctly. BUT, IF I were designing the tach, I would put both indicators on a single digital display. A big number in the middle with a 180 (or 225) degree arc "around" (and over) it showing a graphic progression of the RPMs as well. This arc would already be lit to show yellow and red line marks. Heck, it doesn't even have to be an arc--it can be a progression bar under the numeric display.

Being digital, I would also make it configurable: I would allow color choices on the guages, brightness selection for the arc and the number separately, as well as allowing the arc to appear alone, the RPM number to appear alone, both at the same time, selectable sizing for prominence, and for "purists", the arc alone with a digital sweeping needle.

As to the blur, I would suggest that in first gear, an analog guage is pretty much a blur when at WOT. In other words, you only see progression toward a red line--you certainly can't really ever tell what the actual RPMs are at any given split second.

Absolutely correct. That is all you need. You watch it approach a certain point and shift. It isn't about the number but about the number the needle is approaching, when the needle lines up with the number you shift. Digital tach is nothing but numbers changing so fast they look like a figure 8 with two lines down each side. There are some gauges like tachs that humans can't use very well if they are in digital format. Try counting your pulse using a digital watch Vs a watch with a sweep second hand. No way you can count off 6 seconds on the digital display while counting the number of pulses you feel on your wrist.

As I see it, if an analog tach is put in, then you have NO chance to change it or its location. On the other hand, I can mimic an analog look with digital AND if I want to change or customize it, I can.

An electronic display can simulate an analog tach and put it anywhere on the display. Any type of tach that doesn't represent the rpms in numbers isn't a digital tach. It can be a pointer in the typical tach, it can be a thermometer type of display.

That's the beauty of digital. Like being able to design a wrist watch so that it has an hour and minute hand for those who prefer that kind of display and a numeric readout for those who prefer it another way.

As I said in my post above your are confusing digital with electronic. Digital is the format meaning a measurement is represented by digits Vs an analog format that displays measurements in a continuous flow from one reference point to another. An electronic dash is a flat panel or similar display that can display gauges in digital or analog fashion. It all depends on the guy designing the layout.

The C6 has two analog tachs. One in the HUD and the other in the IP. The HUD tach can be configured into a couple of different analog formats. A bar thermometer and a circle.
The bar goes around the periphery of the display and the circle is more or less in the middle. So the HUD tach is moveable to some degree.

If you look at some of the "Glass Cockpits" that are in military and commercial aircraft nowadays you will see a mix of digital and analog gauges on one display screen. If you look at the displays used in Indy Car and F1 cars you see a mix of digital and analog instruments with the tach being a curved thermometer and fluid status shown in digital format.

The main problem with the C4 early dash was the resolution of the analog tach that backed up the digital display. It was broken up in 200 or 500 rpm segments (depending on year), curved up and down and didn't really follow good human factors practices. With the large rpm segments you couldn't predict when it was going to get to the shift point you had chosen. Another weakness that has followed into the C5 and C6 is the inability to display all of the measurements you would like at the same time. If I remember correctly the C4 limited you to a choice of Coolant or Oil Temp on one display and Oil Pressure or Volts on the other display. With the C6 you can choose only 1 of the 4 on the DIC.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 10-20-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:07 AM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaki30
I really hope the C7 doesn't follow the new digital dash designs of the 2 new Cadillacs. Quite frankly, I much prefer regular analog guages and buttons.
I agree that nothing beats a nice looking analog gauge but the possibilities with a digital layout are endless. With a digital layout you can probably have aftermarket companies design software to change the color, style, layout and even add gauges like boost for those who add forced induction. That is if there are ports on the back of the unit. I think that would be good if GM did something like that, to let the buyer be able to customize the instrument layout to his liking.

Just a thought on it!
Old 10-21-2012, 08:22 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by formulaWA
What would be even better is if GM had a USB port as part of a hi res OLED gauge display that allowed you to download "skins" from the GM website or include software that allowed you to design your own custom gauges on your home computer and then download them to your corvette. Make the HUD customizable as well. Then everybody could have whatever they wanted
Best idea yet!

While I like the configurable electronic instrumentation concept in the XTS, I don't like the needles. They are way too short with the center of the dial used up by other items, and the needles just get lost in the graphics. There is no way to spot those in spirited or track situations.

This could be remedied by using a circular bar graph (not linear please), and of a different color, say red.

Also the Cadillac system does not show oil pressure, volts, fuel level, and coolant temperature in analog gauge form at the same time. This is a step back from the analog guages we have now. We should always be moving forward.

I think the idea where you can design your own is the best of all. I think it would be great to see what people come up with, and it builds on the Corvette as a centerpiece of a community of enthusiasts. With this crowd, I don't doubt we would see some very innovative and detailed designs.

Michael
Old 10-21-2012, 08:45 PM
Flex182
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 87 Posts

Im hoping for something like this : Come on GM you can do it and the Corvette Deserves it

Last edited by Flex182; 10-21-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:57 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
Yeah that's ancient technology. The new Cadillac Cue system will be using a USB to update the software and then in future wi-fi in the car.
Which I hope won't require going through OnStar ................
Old 10-21-2012, 09:12 PM
G-man1
Intermediate

Like the lambos gauges, but Don't like the aventadors panel in rhe middle of the interior.. 2 much plastic, and plus it looks like a big cheap toy from China...
And this is how the aventadors central panel should look like:
Awesome... Looks expensive and modern...wish the brand new c7 had something like this...

Last edited by G-man1; 10-21-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:24 PM
Axial
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Digital speedometer in the centre with either a graphic or analogue tach going around it would be about right for my tastes. Put the other gauges to the left and right. I am hard-pressed to divine a more ergonomic solution than that, short of putting the information on the glass or on the steering wheel.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:46 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

My daily driver is a '12 Cruze and it's partially digital dash is so useable. I have configured it to display what I usually want, yet can easily alter it to get the other information I secondarily want.

I have faith the the C7's digital dash will similarly be user configurable, having some 'ole school gauges (as outlined by keeks), and also picturing it with some Corvette User Experience (CUE) digitally changeable/selectable elements too.

"Best Of Both Worlds."
Old 10-22-2012, 12:46 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

My daily driver is a '12 Cruze and it's partially digital dash is so useable. I have configured it to display what I usually want, yet can easily alter it to get the other information I secondarily want.

I have faith the the C7's digital dash will similarly be user configurable, having some 'ole school gauges (as outlined by keeks), and I am also picturing it with some Corvette User Experience (CUE) digitally changeable/selectable elements too.

"Best Of Both Worlds."
Old 10-22-2012, 12:51 AM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
I really Like the new digital dash and things like that. What I am really tired of is so many I see trying to hold on to the past and all the retro crap and ideas. Left up to them, the C7 would have friggin pop up headlights or grab bars on the dash etc. Leave the past where is is and lets move on. Ready for changes, especially with the C7. I'll be disappointed if they don't.
Lets define 'retro': The adherence to the class, materials and elegance that used to be core to the corvettes and other cars of the 1960s (there's never been anything undesirable about the 'retro' nature of a Porsche 911 - that makes it a classic, despite only subtle/slow changes over time).

Lets define 'crap': Substitution of plastic modern materials and shapes to fool us into not missing the higher quality materials of earlier cars - the 80s-90s C4 corvette interior was the absolute pinnacle of this religion

Old 10-22-2012, 07:51 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by G-man1
Like the lambos gauges, but Don't like the aventadors panel in rhe middle of the interior.. 2 much plastic, and plus it looks like a big cheap toy from China...
Awesome... Looks expensive and modern...wish the brand new c7 had something like this...
IMHO this center console would be far too much and in the way...
Old 10-22-2012, 11:46 AM
0MarylandSpeed
Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by G-man1
Looks like a huge Logitech smart remote photoshopped in the picture.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:03 PM
G-man1
Intermediate

this is the real interior of the upcoming 918 porsche
Old 10-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

My only real concerns (as if anyone cares)...

- Avoiding the craptasitc interior and dash of the 5th gen Camaro. In an effort to go "retro" it looks like it was designed by Fisher-Price and the single reason I don't own a Camaro today...

- If digital is used (which I would actually prefer) it uses a display that is viewable in direct sun since I will purchase a convertible. Same holds true for the audio and HVAC controls (praying they avoid touch items for HVAC). Take a lesson from BMW and iDrive on what not to do in the center-stack...

- Build in upgradability. Technology moves so fast this will be tough but it can be done. Not an Apple fan-boy but they are fairly successful in building items that outlast competitors with obsolescence (but arguably, they have stumbled recently with this)...

The new Viper interior is pretty slick and should be taken very seriously. On the other end of the spectrum, sad that the Dart is schooling GM in this regard.

/r

Allen

Quick Reply: New digital dash, ugh!