C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

only a select few dealership will sell the Viper...hope GM does the same with the C7!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 02:45 PM
plasboy
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Boo383
There aren't 40K Vipers in existence.

I think this would be a great idea. There are Chevy dealerships all over the country that only sell a few Vettes a year. Do you really want your Vette entrusted to a mechanic who only works on Silverados and Cruzes all day?? I think dealers should be required to sell and service a certain number of Vettes before being certified to sell or service the C7.
My dealer hardly sells any Corvettes but he has sold me two and takes care of them very well. Don't need to get rid of dealers based on Corvette sales but on poor performance. Some of the big dealerships have worse service and I have experienced it. Nice to have dealer in your town so you don't have to drive to god knows where just to get service.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:51 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
I think you got that backwards. A Viper would never be a Corvette no matter how much HP it has. But I like the new Viper's interior but would never buy one for many reasons including lack of refinement. And neither car is mass market, both are niche vehicle.

The idea of increasing the quality of dealer service is a very good idea though.
No, I did not get it backwards, it is a fact. Viper is purpose built and appeal to mass market is not the purpose and neither is a trip to a store or church.

If you need comfort, you buy something else, like Corvette or Porsche. LOL at Corvette being a niche vehicle, considering the major clientele and concessions GM keeps making to attract more of them, this is hardly a good thing.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:19 PM
sootytom
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by petermj
No, I did not get it backwards, it is a fact. Viper is purpose built and appeal to mass market is not the purpose and neither is a trip to a store or church.

If you need comfort, you buy something else, like Corvette or Porsche. LOL at Corvette being a niche vehicle, considering the major clientele and concessions GM keeps making to attract more of them, this is hardly a good thing.
I agree 100%! This is why corvettes come in optional automatic transmissions and vipers dont and never will (comfort and clientele).
Old 10-22-2012, 06:14 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by plasboy
My dealer hardly sells any Corvettes but he has sold me two and takes care of them very well. ....
Some equate quality with quantity, and that is not always true.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:30 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ford should only sell Mustangs at a few dealerships to keep as few on the streets as possible.

While we're at it, Toyota needs to limit how many Camrys are sold. Every last one that goes on the road devalues the rest.

This thread is seriously dumb. "Let's not sell as many Corvettes as we can so we can keep their values up." That's the kind of thinking that would put GM under. Their goal is to sell as many cars as they can.

And I don't give a rats *** how many Corvettes are on the road as long as I have one.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:40 AM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Ford should only sell Mustangs at a few dealerships to keep as few on the streets as possible.

While we're at it, Toyota needs to limit how many Camrys are sold. Every last one that goes on the road devalues the rest.

This thread is seriously dumb. "Let's not sell as many Corvettes as we can so we can keep their values up." That's the kind of thinking that would put GM under. Their goal is to sell as many cars as they can.

And I don't give a rats *** how many Corvettes are on the road as long as I have one.
Very dumb points.

Who in the world wants to limit sales of anything in 2012?

The more the Corvette sells the more $$$ they will have for R&D.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:07 PM
shawnvettefan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash

Comparing service and marketing of high volume cars like Mustang's & Camry's to a relatively very low production specialty vehicle makes no sense.....apples & oranges. Sure GM wants to make $ off the Corvette, but the car is also an image vehicle that's not all about volume.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Originally Posted by shawnvettefan
Comparing service and marketing of high volume cars like Mustang's & Camry's to a relatively very low production specialty vehicle makes no sense.....apples & oranges. Sure GM wants to make $ off the Corvette, but the car is also an image vehicle that's not all about volume.
Wrong yet again. In order to make $ as you claim they need to sell them. Corvette needs to sell as many cars as possible in this economy to keep the brand alive.

Just because you do not see teenagers in a Corvette does not in any way mean the image is suffering.

The image of the Corvette is stronger then ever. Just the other day yahoo had a list of trending searches, and the "2014 Corvette" was listed as the #1 searched item. The Corvette image has countless of companies devoted solely to selling Corvette products. This along with Corvette racing has secured a image that very few cars on the planet will ever enjoy.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:23 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnvettefan
It's not apples and oranges. You don't hear GM saying "We're only going produce 1,000 of these Corvettes." That's what you DO hear from manufacturers that plan to do limited production runs.

The Corvette costs just as much as most luxury/sport adult demographic cars, actually. My mom's Infiniti M35 was $53K. BMW 5 series cars are around $50K. Mercedes, Audi, Lincoln, Cadillac... You don't see kids buying these kinds of cars brand new because of price. But ALL of the manufacturers are trying to sell as many of them as they can. Selling a bunch doesn't lower the image of any of them.

Believe me, if GM sells 20,000 Corvettes next year, they're not going to stop taking sales or stop production on them because "too many Corvette have been sold." They're just going to make MORE of them to sell. As they should.

It's their jobs to get a Corvette into the hands of every happy customer. Honestly, if I have to wait MONTHS to get my C7 Corvette after I order it, I'll get annoyed. I know I can go on the lot and buy a C6 of my choice right now. I can go on the lot and pick up a Mustang of my choice right now. Instant gratification. Every trim and every color already made and ready to be driven off the lot.

This won't be the case with the Corvette, but at least if they're blasting out cars at high volume, the cost will be lower and the wait will be shorter.

Originally Posted by Carver Electrics
Wrong yet again. In order to make $ as you claim they need to sell them. Corvette needs to sell as many cars as possible in this economy to keep the brand alive.

Just because you do not see teenagers in a Corvette does not in any way mean the image is suffering.

The image of the Corvette is stronger then ever. Just the other day yahoo had a list of trending searches, and the "2014 Corvette" was listed as the #1 searched item. The Corvette image has countless of companies devoted solely to selling Corvette products. This along with Corvette racing has secured a image that very few cars on the planet will ever enjoy.

Exactly.

Quick Reply: only a select few dealership will sell the Viper...hope GM does the same with the C7!