Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rev Match?

Old 01-16-2013, 03:50 PM
Subw00er
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Dont like it. Then turn it off. Yes, it is defeatable.

While I agree the main reasonable for buying a manual transmission is to be more involved in the driving process, how can you not like a feature thats designed to make you operate the car better & faster. And is a feature you can turn off if you dont like. Same would go for traction control, vehicle stability, performance driving modes, etc. They are all designed to make you go FASTER and SAFER in your vehicle.
Yes, but you're totally missing the point. I dont want to be safer or even go faster. I want to have fun.
Its like a nanny. Why should I have to hit a **** every time I'm in the car to get rid of a feature I dont want in the first place.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:53 PM
Centex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok sorry to get off topic - but I am aware of what rev matching is/does .. but i pride myself in being able to drive a manual car well .. (well better than anyone i know ...i mean in my circle of friends/ people i KNOW.. NOT actual race car drivers etc) .. so if you know what you are doing does Rev Matching make any difference? or rather a noticeable difference when driving aggressive/ spirited ? does it make your driving experience any different/ or easier . sorry if I said the same thing twice - just want to make sure I got my question across ..
Old 01-16-2013, 04:06 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Centex
ok sorry to get off topic - but I am aware of what rev matching is/does .. but i pride myself in being able to drive a manual car well .. (well better than anyone i know ...i mean in my circle of friends/ people i KNOW.. NOT actual race car drivers etc) .. so if you know what you are doing does Rev Matching make any difference? or rather a noticeable difference when driving aggressive/ spirited ? does it make your driving experience any different/ or easier . sorry if I said the same thing twice - just want to make sure I got my question across ..
It's a replacement for heel and toe down shifting. If you try and shift while braking, it blips the throttle to match revs so it doesn't lock the wheels and jerk the car as you trail into the corner.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:12 PM
greasyginzo
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Subw00er
Yes, but you're totally missing the point. I dont want to be safer or even go faster. I want to have fun.
Its like a nanny. Why should I have to hit a **** every time I'm in the car to get rid of a feature I dont want in the first place.
Stop acting like a spoiled little bitch and be a man. Is it really that hard to hit a button it takes less then a second. Seriously grow up and deal with what the situation is at least its a button and not something that needs to be "tuned" out.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:34 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Centex
Originally Posted by Reciprocal
It's a replacement for heel and toe down shifting. If you try and shift while braking, it blips the throttle to match revs so it doesn't lock the wheels and jerk the car as you trail into the corner.
Correct. If you are hard in a turn lets say and you do not match revs, at least close, you run the risk of dragging (partly locking up in essence) the rear wheels and putting the car in a spin. That sort of spin is gonna be extremely difficult to drive out of, if not impossible. The rear end simply goes in a straight line, where ever that might be. Usually ain't good. And the more it slides, the worse it drags the wheels.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:38 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Wasn't this annonced for both manual and automatic transmissions?

What does it mean for automatic transmissions?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by bighank
Nothing.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:52 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bighank
The throttle gets blipped when downshifting with the paddle-shifter.

It's a cool feature -- the C6 had it since '09. Smoother shifts... and mostly it just sounds nice -- especially with NPP or aftermarket exhaust.

Last edited by CO Lightfoot; 01-16-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:56 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by greasyginzo
Stop acting like a spoiled little bitch and be a man. Is it really that hard to hit a button it takes less then a second. Seriously grow up and deal with what the situation is at least its a button and not something that needs to be "tuned" out.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:34 PM
Subw00er
Racer

Originally Posted by greasyginzo
It has nothing to do with being a man. It has to do with USABILITY (UX), annoying quirks, and the company's focus on catering to people who dont know how to drive rather than people who are buying a sports car because they want a proper driving experience. Its a clear message that people who buy these cars don't know how to drive them, which is a real shame. Why not design it such that to make it blip you have to hit the button, rather than the other way around? Why am I forced to use the nanny rev by default when no law or legislation is forcing me to (yet)?

This reminds me of when car companies were required to put traction control on their cars and although you never owned a vette, I can tell you its a daily pita to hit the TC button or worse yet, painfully hold down that comp mode button to put it in a mode the car should have been in from the start. who the hell wants to hit a bunch of buttons every time they enter their car.

BTW, speaking of spoiled little bitches, hows that m3 treating you? How annoying is it that the active handling kicks in WAY too early on your car? Or that it takes 5 minutes to program the nav? Or that the voice entry system totally doesnt work. These electronic gizmos are cool on paper but annoying in person. My only hope is that the new c7 driver selection function works like the M button on the M3 but also includes removing things like blipping and traction control.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:40 PM
Xtreme Z06
Instructor

I am not quite sure why anyone would find this to be a useless feature. It can be turned off so its all good. If on the track with many transitions, this could be a useful tool as you can spend more attention on your driving. You can only do so much at once. Good job GM..
Old 01-16-2013, 11:50 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury

for those not understanding rev matching (sometimes called Adaptive Shifting)... it matters to a particular driving type. For those particular drivers, it is a welcomed addition.

When in fourth gear - and blazing into a tight corner and downshifting into second - breaking traction (due to the downshift) will send you into the barrier. Up to the present time, one would need to try to rev match engine RPM's right before the downshift. Having to do this manually - keeps the driver very busy behind the wheel.

If it's not beneficial for ones driving type; then instead of saying "it's wrong"... just say it's "not for me".

Everything I've read so far says that Adaptive Rev Matching will be driver enabled/disabled.
great post. I have tried to master heel toe for awhile but the physics of my leg, ankle, and foot make it difficult. Now I will be able to downshift from speed with out "going into the wall". Thank you GM!
Old 01-17-2013, 12:04 AM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

It is a GREAT feature because it is an equalizer. I spent YEARS mastering the art of heel and toe downshifting. It's not only the timing of it that has to be mastered, you have to position the ergonomics just right. The last thing you want is to drive up the rear of the car in front because your foot slipped off the brake. Now, it's your choice to practice an obsolete skill, or let the computer handle the job.

Last edited by Reciprocal; 01-17-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:51 AM
Subw00er
Racer

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
It is a GREAT feature because it is an equalizer. I spent YEARS mastering the art of heel and toe downshifting. It's not only the timing of it that has to be mastered, you have to position the ergonomics just right. The last thing you want is to drive up the rear of the car in front because your foot slipped off the brake. Now, it's your choice to practice an obsolete skill, or let the computer handle the job.

Why not let the computer bring you around the track too with automated GPS steering. Better yet, why not sit in the grandstands and watch computers race cars around the track. That would be just as fun, right?!
Old 01-17-2013, 02:19 AM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
I agree that it should be able to be turned off by the driver, but this is a feature that I really like.
It is not a feature that should be able to be turned off--but a feature that should be turned on by those who want it. That is the default is backwards.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:26 AM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Why not let the computer bring you around the track too with automated GPS steering. Better yet, why not sit in the grandstands and watch computers race cars around the track. That would be just as fun, right?!
Lol...I hear ya. I really do.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:04 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,909 Likes on 1,355 Posts

So wait, this is not permanently defeatable? Ok, so now every time I enter the car I have to hit two buttons? One for comp mode, and one for removing auto blip? Thats a VERY poor user experience considering the real goal of the car is to be a serious sports car.
Totally agree. The owner should be able to set an "On" or "Off" DEFAULT setting in the menus, so it is set the same way each time the car is started.

Michael

Get notified of new replies

To Rev Match?

Old 01-17-2013, 04:15 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think anyone is arguing that. With synchro rev matching, the driver is still choosing the line, judging braking points, braking, steering, changing gears, adjusting behavior with the throttle, etc. These are all things that the driver still makes a deliberate choice about. Most of the reviews I've seen of Nissan's system by those who have actually tried it are quite favorable. These are by guys who have test driven all manner of cars, from Ariels and Caterhams to Veyrons and F1 cars; some even race on the side.
To suggest that merely removing the driver's input of rev-matching automatically (haha) makes the car boring is quite a stretch. The process of rev-matching and physically moving the stick through gates is eliminated on F1 cars (and top level Corvette race cars) and WRC rally cars, but I doubt they are boring or uninvolving to drive. Also bear in mind that of those Corvette models that offer it, 70% of buyers chose the automatic transmission. So it's not like the demographic overall is that hardcore. There will be plenty of people who like new technology and will like something that makes driving around town smoother. And yes, those who have tried it on the road or track find it fun too.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:27 AM
Batman 357
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

The pedals might not be well positioned for heel toeing. I thing that is a liability thing.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:44 AM
VinceJB
Instructor

If you want to see the art of heel to toe by the best driver who ever drove a race car IMO, Ayrton Senna here, enjoy! And he drove that car to the absolute limit!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rev Match?