C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-parking brake ?

Old 01-19-2013, 11:35 PM
ekib
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never use the parking brake to get going on steep hills.

If you let the clutch out until it starts to bite, you won't roll back when you let off the brake. Do it quickly and it just might wear the clutch less than using the parking brake.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:00 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

And there is upside to not having an emergency brake handle. To quote Tadge, the center console as a place to rest your elbow on is now more ergonomic, and not having an e brake handle allowed for better cup holder design. Also, the emergency brake handle was/is ugly on both my C5 and my C6.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:04 PM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
And there is upside to not having an emergency brake handle. To quote Tadge, the center console as a place to rest your elbow on is now more ergonomic, and not having an e brake handle allowed for better cup holder design. Also, the emergency brake handle was/is ugly on both my C5 and my C6.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:44 PM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by arkus
Never liked the emergency brake on my c5 and 6
Old 02-06-2013, 06:12 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by al89
I build cars for a living , check with your dept of transport or motor vehical branch. hyd park brake is ONLY allowed if you still have cable operated e brake as required by law

Well that's the crux of the disagreement then. Emergency brakes aren't required by law anymore and haven't been for some time.

Parking brakes, on the other hand, are.

jas
Old 02-06-2013, 07:54 PM
VinceJB
Instructor

If you can't do it without an ebrake you should be driving an auto IMO. I can nail it the first time everytime.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:42 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 808 Likes on 532 Posts

yeah, i never even heard of using the handbrake to hill start til a couple years ago. i started driving with trucks (which have the brake on the floor), so you have to learn how to slip the clutch (which if i could do at 11ys old & teach my brothers when they were 13, it ain't that hard)
Old 02-07-2013, 02:39 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
Yet there have been loads of cars with ergonomic center consoles, and great interiors + handbrake. R8 comes to mind. The handbrake itself can be designed to be stylish, it's a one of a kind handle and designers can get creative.

This is the first 'Vette to feature sissy electronic controls. A step in the wrong direction imo. Not really worth it to attract new costumers that like a long list of gadgets.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:50 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I personally like the electronic parking brake. I use the parking brake even in my auto Solara. I'm just in the habit of using the parking brake.

But if they could make the p-brake a button/switch rather than a handle, more power to them. I'd rather it not be in the way. With passengers, when I pull the handle, sometimes their arms are in the way. LOL If their arms are in the way of the p-brake switch, I can just push their arm off it real fast. LOL
Old 02-07-2013, 02:57 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

I'd say it's way easier to deploy a button by mistake rather than a leaver that needs muscle.

Have you seen the latest Top Gear? The rally driver had a **** time in that Bentley because it doesn't have a usable handbrake.

Leavers, wheels, pedals are not about cuteness and Texas-sized cupholders, they are about control. The best drivers, or the most enthusiastic drivers love control. With manual you can theoretically grenade the motor, but no true driver will switch to auto to get the extra safety. No risk, no reward.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:03 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
I'd say it's way easier to deploy a button by mistake rather than a leaver that needs muscle.

Have you seen the latest Top Gear? The rally driver had a **** time in that Bentley because it doesn't have a usable handbrake.

Leavers, wheels, pedals are not about cuteness and Texas-sized cupholders, they are about control. The best drivers, or the most enthusiastic drivers love control. With manual you can theoretically grenade the motor, but no true driver will switch to auto to get the extra safety. No risk, no reward.
By mistake? That's like saying that you can easily throw an automatic into park while you're driving and something will happen...

If you throw an automatic in park while you're driving, it won't lock the gears like it would when you've stopped. It will remain in drive.

If you really think GM's going to make a button/switch p-brake that engages while the car is in drive, I'd say you're paranoid... Besides, to engage this p-brake, you have to PULL it upward. To disengage it you push it down. (Just like a handle brake.)
Old 02-07-2013, 03:23 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
By mistake? That's like saying that you can easily throw an automatic into park while you're driving and something will happen...

If you throw an automatic in park while you're driving, it won't lock the gears like it would when you've stopped. It will remain in drive.

If you really think GM's going to make a button/switch p-brake that engages while the car is in drive, I'd say you're paranoid... Besides, to engage this p-brake, you have to PULL it upward. To disengage it you push it down. (Just like a handle brake.)
You missed the point. No matter whether it's safer or not, button is a wussy item. It's about control and the joy of driving. Just because the older manual handbrake didn't work as well as it should it doesn't mean that the design is inherently flawed, just the implementation.

Even so, I've never been in a car where someone hit the ebrake in a way that locked wheels. But I have been in cars where someone threw the transmission in R of the freeway and it did fire back. I've also been hit by a guy who started the car in reverse instead of drive. I think ****** drivers select themselves into autos, not that all auto drivers are ******. I've been nearly hit by another reverse by mistake auto driver but never been in that situation with a manual driven car. Despite the fact that they roll back easily on hills the drivers are much better and compensate for the simplicity of the transmission with skill. How about that.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:09 AM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

The only thing you probably lose with this setup is any chance of pulling off a nice bank robber's 180. Saved my life once in my 1989 Z51 with that maneuver but that's a long story and was a once in 100 lifetimes situation after being run off the road by a semi at night. Still, 180's are fun.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:01 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

The only time my parking brake is used, is when the state inspection is performed.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:13 AM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 321 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Tom/99
The only time my parking brake is used, is when the state inspection is performed.

The instructions on how to use it are in the owners manual.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:21 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
If you really think GM's going to make a button/switch p-brake that engages while the car is in drive, I'd say you're paranoid...
I'm not sure how many times I need to repeat myself in this and other threads, but: the electronic brake in the CTS-V works just fine even when the car is in gear and moving. So unless GM has re-written the controller software for that, it'll activate when you're in motion.

jas
Old 02-07-2013, 08:47 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by arkus
How would you take off from an incline when using a stick shift with the E brake .
Buy an auto if you are scared

Get notified of new replies

To E-parking brake ?

Old 02-07-2013, 08:58 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by ramey
what the hell? seriously?

what happens without battery power? it is an EMERGENCY brake after all.

what happens if you want to use the handbrake for any number of things?

you may WANT to load the car up slightly against the handbrake (test clutch, etc.,). you may WANT to leverage the handbrake while working a car on or off a trailer.

a sports car should be able to do a handbrake turn.

bottom line, just like everything else, only more so (it is an emergency brake after all) it is vital that the e brake ALWAYS DO EXACTLY WHAT YOU TELL IT TO, ONLY WHAT YOU TELL IT TO, AND NEVER ANYTHING YOU DON'T TELL IT TO. It should not rely on battery power to activate or deactivate. it should not 'turn off' when the car begins to move.

surely this is not right?
How is that any different than any other function on the car? The engine will not do what you tell it to do either if the battery goes dead.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:00 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by B747VET
The only thing you probably lose with this setup is any chance of pulling off a nice bank robber's 180. Saved my life once in my 1989 Z51 with that maneuver but that's a long story and was a once in 100 lifetimes situation after being run off the road by a semi at night. Still, 180's are fun.
And I'm willing on betting that exactly zero people on this thread, and maybe you can count on one hand of all forum members who actually could do this maneuver if they tried. Reminds me of motorcycle forums where people don't want ABS because they contend that they can't "put the bike down" in the event of an impending crash. I ask them how many times they have practiced putting a bike down at speed.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:07 PM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
And I'm willing on betting that exactly zero people on this thread, and maybe you can count on one hand of all forum members who actually could do this maneuver if they tried. Reminds me of motorcycle forums where people don't want ABS because they contend that they can't "put the bike down" in the event of an impending crash. I ask them how many times they have practiced putting a bike down at speed.
I bet you're wrong.... I personally know of at least 4 who used to do it regularly, sometimes to parallel park in an entertaining cloud of smoke. Bottom line, who cares. A car should do exactly and only what you tell it to do, every time, the same way, and never do anything at all you don't tell it to.

If I pull the parking brake, try to open the door, turn the lights on or off or any other system, it should do it. if I want to turn the car over in gear on the starter, it should do it. If I regret it, that 's my problem. If I want to drift a car into a corner sideways on the brakes, it should do it.

I don't want some annoying warning popping up all the time.

I can't accept a throttle or brake pedal that argues with my inputs.

I can live with concessions for basic abs (with no vses, no drp stability functions, no edc) but that's it.

A car that won't open the freaking door or use the rear brakes or the e brake when I want it to, or that chimes or dings at me, or changes the volume or temperature on me, or won't turn off the lights, all that is just bullcrap.

but all this is not even as important as the OP - the Parking brake is also an EMERGENCY BRAKE, it should be a powerful and independent mechanical brake that is not dependent upon any other system in the car (especially battery power or brake hydraulics) and works exactly as the user directs, to prevent the rear wheels from moving when and in the amount applied.

anything less is gross negligence and inexcusable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: E-parking brake ?