Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Weight Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 03:02 AM
texel
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 7 Posts

Nope they just put their test cars on a scale.....

Cheers
Old 02-01-2013, 01:26 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch Z
Oh boy have you just reopened a can of worms. I'd love to see an analysis showing exactly what items, and how many lbs. for each, offset the 200lbs lower starting point in your C4 PLUS the lighter aluminum frame, engine block and heads, CF body panels, no spare and jack, etc. We can surmise it is airbags all over the place, passenger compartment reinforcements in doors and A-pillars, extra sound insulation, interior coverings, steel torque tube, much bigger brakes, and other items. Problem is, we're all conjecturing and nobody really knows except the C7 team.

The comparison would be very interesting. I hold to the belief that GM could have made a great Vette sticking to a no-compromise "it will be less than 3K lbs" mandate even given the safety and usable space requirements. But, they had their reasons not to...and they are smart people.
I'm in the habit of weighing everything in my car when I remove it. I happened to have both seats out of my 86 one day and compared the weights: the electric driver's seat was 15# heavier than the manual passenger seat. That's just the seat, then you add the wiring and relays and switches. You're looking at at least a half percent of the vehicle empty weight. Multiply that by probably a dozen other systems on the C7, and you end up heavier than desired.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:36 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by texel
Nope they just put their test cars on a scale.....

Cheers
I thinky you may have missed my point. R&T also had the new Carerra S on the scales with driver, and it was 85 lbs less!
Old 02-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebz06
I'm in the habit of weighing everything in my car when I remove it. I happened to have both seats out of my 86 one day and compared the weights: the electric driver's seat was 15# heavier than the manual passenger seat. That's just the seat, then you add the wiring and relays and switches. You're looking at at least a half percent of the vehicle empty weight. Multiply that by probably a dozen other systems on the C7, and you end up heavier than desired.
Great info/insights. This is the analysis I'd like to see. What could have be axed without compromising the mission of reasonably comfortable sports GT suitable for daily-driver duty? I never found having electric-everything seats, heavily-padded interior panels, 3 overdrive gears, or more than 4 speakers necessary to fulfill that mission.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:23 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch Z
I thinky you may have missed my point. R&T also had the new Carerra S on the scales with driver, and it was 85 lbs less!
Looks like there's a lot of variability. I still think MT and C/D weigh there cars on full without driver unless stated otherwise.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:32 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kappa
Looks like there's a lot of variability. I still think MT and C/D weigh there cars on full without driver unless stated otherwise.
Drivers' weights can vary by 150 lbs EASILY (100 lb woman or jockey vs. 300 lb 6'2" powerlifter. Those that include driver could be meaningfully affected by that variable.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:34 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Drivers' weights can vary by 150 lbs EASILY (100 lb woman or jockey vs. 300 lb 6'2" powerlifter. Those that include driver could be meaningfully affected by that variable.
I know, that why R&T is the only one that breaks that down. If they don't give the driver's weight, I assume that there wasn't a driver in there.

Like I said, the curb weights of American cars are always spot on in these magazines.

Quick Reply: C7 Weight Issues