Sponsored by:

Brand loyalty and the C7

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 10:29 AM
enzodude
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand loyalty and the C7

I have always considered myself a GM guy. Have owned mostly gm trucks and SUV's my whole life. Ford was never an option. But I did buy the occasional Nissan and Toyota.

I have been able to get a new or 'new to me' Fun car every couple years.

Not rich. Just made it a priority and bought used often.
And with these cars brand loyalty went out the window. All that mattered was getting something different, Cool and interesting.

I have been a Vette fan since I owned a C4 in 1990 at the age of 20.
Since than I have owned-

3 Porsche 911's 75,78 and 01 new
Ferrari 308GTS 78 (crap)
Testarossa 91 (sweet)
Jaguar XK8 Convert 96 new
Viper RT10 97 (only car a spun, several times, evil)
Ford SVT lightning 04 new (Could take my dirtbike to the track in record time)
BMW 335 Coupe 07 new
Corvette 08 new
Genesis Coupe Rspec 13

2014 Corvette? Yes. Because it will be the best new car for the money and is different than my current ride.

This post is aimed at people who say they would never own a foreign made car or a non GM car. Live a little.

Life is short. Buy more cool cars.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:37 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by enzodude
I have always considered myself a GM guy. Have owned mostly gm trucks and SUV's my whole life. Ford was never an option. But I did buy the occasional Nissan and Toyota.

And with these cars brand loyalty went out the window. All that mattered was getting something different, Cool and interesting.

Since than I have owned-

Ferrari 308GTS 78 (crap)
Testarossa 91 (sweet)
BMW 335 Coupe 07 new
Corvette 08 new
Genesis Coupe Rspec 13

2014 Corvette? Yes. Because it will be the best new car for the money and is different than my current ride.

This post is aimed at people who say they would never own a foreign made car or a non GM car. Live a little.

Now, this is what I call a profound statement, without even driving the car. What if you drive the car and do not like it? Will you be following through with your assertion regardless of your real life experience?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:14 AM
enzodude
Advanced

Originally Posted by petermj
Now, this is what I call a profound statement, without even driving the car. What if you drive the car and do not like it? Will you be following through with your assertion regardless of your real life experience?

Haha....I have no doubt the 2014 Vette will kick a$$ and be far superior to any other car I have ever owned, How is that for a profound statement?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:22 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,956 Likes on 1,194 Posts

Since than I have owned-

Ferrari 308GTS 78 (crap)
Testarossa 91 (sweet)
BMW 335 Coupe 07 new
Corvette 08 new
Genesis Coupe Rspec 13

How in the world are those two statements in blue consistent?

I do agree with your last statement in red!

Old 02-14-2013, 11:22 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Haha....I have no doubt the 2014 Vette will kick a$$ and be far superior to any other car I have ever owned, How is that for a profound statement?
Well, whatever floats your boat.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:26 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I have been able to get a new or 'new to me' Fun car every couple years....

Ferrari 308GTS 78 (crap)
Testarossa 91 (sweet)
BMW 335 Coupe 07 new
Corvette 08 new
Genesis Coupe Rspec 13
Now that is an enthusiast.

Rock on.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:33 AM
VADanno
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I started my car buying with a '67 Camaro. Then swapped it for a '68, then a '69. I got my first Vette (1 '62) though I really wanted my buddy's uncle's Vette. He had a '65 FI roadster. Car was stolen and stripped. Anyway, I'm definitely a GM guy. I quit driving V-8's and went on to experience some of the most iconic cars of the 70's. I drove a VW Scirocco, had a sweet BMW 2002, and a string of 240Z's. This got me into sports car racing for 10 years. When I quit racing, I sold off all my cars and gear, and bought a '73 911E. I sold that two years ago (moved out of SoCal to Texas), and have been looking at acquiring another "fun car". My only debate is whether to buy a C6 now, or wait until GM starts putting rebates on the C7. It's time to get another V-8!
Old 02-14-2013, 11:43 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Nice to have money for cars one wants. Not sure about your definition of rich, but over the last 22 yrs you have put a lot of bucks into cars. I know you said you aren't rich but "used" Ferrari's ain't cheap.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:56 AM
enzodude
Advanced

Originally Posted by VADanno
I started my car buying with a '67 Camaro. Then swapped it for a '68, then a '69. I got my first Vette (1 '62) though I really wanted my buddy's uncle's Vette. He had a '65 FI roadster. Car was stolen and stripped. Anyway, I'm definitely a GM guy. I quit driving V-8's and went on to experience some of the most iconic cars of the 70's. I drove a VW Scirocco, had a sweet BMW 2002, and a string of 240Z's. This got me into sports car racing for 10 years. When I quit racing, I sold off all my cars and gear, and bought a '73 911E. I sold that two years ago (moved out of SoCal to Texas), and have been looking at acquiring another "fun car". My only debate is whether to buy a C6 now, or wait until GM starts putting rebates on the C7. It's time to get another V-8!
Man I do miss the Vette's V-8 torque!
Old 02-14-2013, 11:59 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,129 Likes on 731 Posts

Every corvette with the exception of the one year old used 72 that I have bought was without a test drive. And no regrets with any of them. I am loyal to corvette.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:00 PM
enzodude
Advanced

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
Nice to have money for cars one wants. Not sure about your definition of rich, but over the last 22 yrs you have put a lot of bucks into cars. I know you said you aren't rich but "used" Ferrari's ain't cheap.

True. I am much poorer now. I did sell the Testarossa for more a bit more than I bought it for. Oh the 90's were good.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:05 PM
zland
Drifting

Received 609 Likes on 191 Posts

You are right, life is short. Instead of owning more sport cars I just retired & moving to Bali to surf. I prefer to surf everyday in the best waves in the world that drive the latest greatest.

The great part is if anyone is smart, they live life to the fullest & that is exactly what it is about!
Old 02-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Dream C-5
Racer

Originally Posted by zland
You are right, life is short. Instead of owning more sport cars I just retired & moving to Bali to surf. I prefer to surf everyday in the best waves in the world that drive the latest greatest.

The great part is if anyone is smart, they live life to the fullest & that is exactly what it is about!
^^^^^ This ^^^^^
Old 02-14-2013, 12:53 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Love it! I drive 2hrs from Tampa to Cocoa beach to surf. I don't think I could talk my wife into Bali. Trying to move to Orlando so I'll be an hour closer.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:56 PM
enzodude
Advanced

I am in total agreement with your Bali plan.

Last year I sold my paid for 08 vette. Wife sold her paid for Lexus. We rented out are house. I traveled the world with my wife and 12 year old daughter for 7 months. Europe, Egypt, Greece, Turkey, India and three outstanding months in Thailand and Cambodia.

Going back to Thailand or Cambodia permanently in the next 10 years!!
Old 02-14-2013, 01:02 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,985 Likes on 935 Posts

I'm really not a domestic brand guy with the exception of the Corvette. I have been mostly European brand guy with a Lexus thrown in. But if I were to choose any domestic brand that most associates with me it will definitely be GM.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:38 PM
MEJ
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

That was quite a variety of cars! I'm curious, as a Bmw owner myself, what you thought of yours...

Get notified of new replies

To Brand loyalty and the C7

Old 02-14-2013, 02:38 PM
enzodude
Advanced

Originally Posted by MEJ
That was quite a variety of cars! I'm curious, as a Bmw owner myself, what you thought of yours...
It was a nice car, Sport package, Manual trans. I added a piggyback and got another 50 or so horsepower. Twin turbo motor had lots of torque and was great except for the HPFP issues. Fit and finish was great.

Really thought I would love this car but it just never felt as rewarding to drive as I had hoped. Never really got use to the clutch with the hydraulic delay valve. Car just did not have the feel of the older 3 series cars. It was a lease and after 18 months I put it up on swapalease and moved on.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:33 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Over the years from being on this forum, it's plain to see that except for the Corvette, not that many people have other GM products in their garage. I look around my neighborhood, and GM is almost extinct.

For any type of DD, I will never again consider buying GM. And from my personal views of the C7, not likely to ever consider another Corvette.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:26 PM
enzodude
Advanced

I surf aswell...with a motor!

Quick Reply: Brand loyalty and the C7