Sponsored by:

On star -- anyone else had this happen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 10:04 AM
vettedrummer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 255 Likes on 74 Posts

Default On star -- anyone else had this happen?

I ride in my sports cars to relax, and among other things get away from the TV which seems to go 24/7 in our house.

So, I am riding in my two week old C7 listening to my iPod which abruptly stops. My first thought , "damn it the USB is acting up", but after a few seconds OnStar comes on to provide me with a commercial extolling their available services.

I got some kind of pissed. Does this recur? If so, I will cancel..
Old 10-26-2013, 10:11 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by vettedrummer
I ride in my sports cars to relax, and among other things get away from the TV which seems to go 24/7 in our house.

So, I am riding in my two week old C7 listening to my iPod which abruptly stops. My first thought , "damn it the USB is acting up", but after a few seconds OnStar comes on to provide me with a commercial extolling their available services.

Sounds about right. Pull the fuse !
Old 10-26-2013, 10:18 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Yep, the same thing happened to us the other day.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Rich427
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 29 Posts

I have had Onstar on a lot of vehicles, but not my Vettes, and I don't recall this happening to me. But, have you thought of just pushing the Onstar button and ask them not to send you any commercial messages? It might be that simple to fix.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:31 AM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

This really puzzled me so I called OnStar. Quoting them, they do have 'radio' commercials but do not have any means to interrupt your USB connected or Bluetooth connected iPod to broadcast a commercial through it. Their suggestion was somehow your listening was switched to XM satellite or a local radio station and that's where your commercial came from.

Given that, I'm recalling that while trying to use the touch screen to play an album on my iPod I wound up listening to HD radio. I attributed it to my big fingers .
Originally Posted by vettedrummer

Old 10-26-2013, 10:32 AM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have to activate onstar. Buttons on my C6 but have never done anything with it.
Never gotten an invoice getting me to renew or anything. For all I know the
fuse may be pulled. Told the dealer did not want it or XM, so it may not be operable.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Chip A
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

vettedrummer; You have mail.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:41 AM
BIg Wash AZ
Racer

Default the straight and narrow

To spam your radio is inexcusable. In an age where virtually everyone and more so the C7 buyer has a smartphone, OnStar is the duplication of a utility you carry in your pocket/purse everyday. Save perhaps the cataclysmic event when you die in a car crash. And OnStar calls to offer final directions.

"You are arriving at your destination the intersection of Heaven and Hell. Proceed as directed. Good bye."
Old 10-26-2013, 10:51 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Cruiter
This really puzzled me so I called OnStar. Quoting them, they do have 'radio' commercials but do not have any means to interrupt your USB connected or Bluetooth connected iPod to broadcast a commercial through it. Their suggestion was somehow your listening was switched to XM satellite or a local radio station and that's where your commercial came from.

Given that, I'm recalling that while trying to use the touch screen to play an album on my iPod I wound up listening to HD radio. I attributed it to my big fingers .
We were listening to the radio, but it wasn't a commercial through the radio station. The sound went dead for a couple of seconds and then we connected to Onstar for the feature presentation.....
Old 10-26-2013, 11:07 AM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

It happened to me about a week after I took delivery...I had nothing on...all audio off. It started with the tone that notifies you of an OnStar call and proceeds to the blurb without waiting for an acknowledgement. Gotta throw the BS flag on their claim they don't have "the means" to butt in. You all do realize that ANY use of OnStar audio communication mutes all other audio don't you?

I was at first surprised, then a bit infuriated, that they could use their access to my car to force feed their BS and interrupt my pleasant joyride. I've had the car now about a month and no further calls. Maybe it was a one shot deal....it better be.

Last edited by Rad22; 10-26-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:10 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rad22
It happened to me about a week after I took delivery...I had nothing on...all audio off. It started with the tone that notifies you of an OnStar call and proceeds to the blurb without waiting for an acknowledgement.

I was at first surprised, then a bit infuriated, that they could use their access to my car to force feed their BS and interrupt my pleasant joyride. I've had the car now about a month and no further calls. Maybe it was a one shot deal....it better be.
I think that's probably the case. It only happened once on our Corvette when we were under the trial period and now it has happened once on the wifes new car.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:56 AM
vettedrummer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 255 Likes on 74 Posts

I have had OnStar on many cars, and this is the first interruption. I hope Chevy customer care is listening, and chews on them. Inexcusable.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:04 PM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I had it happen once only. I think this is a one-shot announcement during your free trial. I'd be willing to bet that another one comes up near the end of the free trial period.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:07 PM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Exact same thing happened to me, and I thought the same thing. The USB is messing up. The On Star "beep" and a commercial. It's only happened once.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:10 PM
bamawrx
Instructor

Same thing happened to me the other day in my Tahoe. I pushed the little telephone icon on mirror to hang up, which worked. If you hear the attempted connection to onstar just hang up on them. Happened twice so far.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:50 PM
13brv3
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

So is there an easy way to disable onstar on the C7? The C6 has a fuse, but the downside is that you lose bluetooth. I read a post that said there wasn't an obvious fuse for onstar on the C7, but that doesn't mean there really isn't one. Some people removed the antenna instead, which kept the bluetooth working.

I pulled the fuse on my C6 after the first time they called me on my Sunday drive to try to get me to activate it, and buy some minutes for their phone. The only mod I plan to make to my C7 (whenever it arrives) is disabling onstar, and I resent being forced to pay for the hardware when I don't want it.

Cheers,
Rusty
Old 10-26-2013, 02:21 PM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bamawrx
Same thing happened to me the other day in my Tahoe. I pushed the little telephone icon on mirror to hang up, which worked. If you hear the attempted connection to onstar just hang up on them. Happened twice so far.
May keep happening until you let it finish,

Last edited by Cruiter; 10-26-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To On star -- anyone else had this happen?

Old 10-26-2013, 03:07 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Can they listen in on you anytime? I always wondered about how much information Onstar collects on you.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:32 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Sin City
Can they listen in on you anytime? I always wondered about how much information Onstar collects on you.
Well if they're not listening in on you, the NSA is....
Old 10-27-2013, 04:24 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 687 Likes on 510 Posts

Hey y'all,

I am so sorry that this happened! I am going to look at this, and see if this will continue or is a one time shot. Thanks,

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: On star -- anyone else had this happen?