Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 02:11 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

In order to ease my mind about this normal sound, I sent oil samples to Blackstone Labs every 5K for three years. Everything in the oil so far is normal @ 29k and I did not continue at this point.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:49 AM
Bueler
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel line

Originally Posted by NSC5
The most common reason for this ticking is the cam driven high pressure fuel pump and it is present to a greater or lesser extent on all of the GDI engines using this type of pump to create the pressure necessary for direct injection into the combustion chamber. My first experience with this was my 2008 Cadillac CTS with a 3.6L DI and to combat the noise Cadillac used a lot of sound deadening to address the noise directly from the pump and also to reduce the noise along the common fuel rails which "sing" along with the pump. Corvettes have far less sound deadening around the engine (and in the passenger compartment) so the noise is far more audible. If my LT-4 equipped Z06 had been my first GDI engine it would have been more noticeable but after my first gen 3.6DI in the CTS and 2nd gen 3.6DI in my ATS the LT-4 tick sounds normal to me.

You can use a sound stethoscope to somewhat narrow the sound location and if it is the cam driven high pressure pump the noise will be louder near its location towards the top rear of the engine however sound propagates, especially through the common fuel rails, so it won't have only a single source point for the noise.

Also see this TSB for a related issue: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...2017-1338.html

And on edit here is a nice post put up on the C7 forum by Theta that shows some good information on the layout of the HPCR (high pressure common rail) fuel system for those unfamiliar with its layout: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-for-lt1.html

And use proper caution around these systems since the fuel pressure in the rail is FAR higher than what people are used to with port injection systems and a little leak can effectively inject fuel into your skin. Although not as potentially dangerous as the HPCR used on diesel engines which develop rail pressures beyond 30,000 PSI the 2,000 and up PSI developed in these gas systems is nothing to be careless around.
I Have this sound on my 2017 grand sport. Does the ticking frequency increase with throttle increase? Mine does. Happens for seconds to 30 seconds but not every time I start it.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:47 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Bueler

I Have this sound on my 2017 grand sport. Does the ticking frequency increase with throttle increase? Mine does. Happens for seconds to 30 seconds but not every time I start it.
The high pressure direct injection injectors do make a bit more noice than normal. There is insulation under the intake manifold to muffle the sound. Some have had that sound insulation not properly installed. Yep injector noise will increase with rpm BUT it won't go away in seconds.

Another possible clicking sound is the hydraulic lifters that may "click" for a short time if the car has been sitting a while. They will quickly fill with oil and the sound goes away. If excessive or it just started could be a lifter issue. But if it goes away I would not be concerned.

Frankly I don't listed to my engine when it starts! I have not heard the sound of oil leaving the pan and flowing to the dry sump tank some report! It does drain back to the pan when the car is parked! For fun, I checked the oil level after the car sat for several days before I started the engine. It was below the end of the dip stick! That's >5 quarts low! It quickly flows back when the engine starts, which is what some folks hear! That would NOT be a clicking sound.

Last edited by JerryU; 05-05-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:20 PM
Carlos Thomas
Instructor

Received 215 Likes on 73 Posts

Here is the "ticking" sound on my 2019 Grand Sport M7

Last edited by Carlos Thomas; 05-29-2018 at 02:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kevstaarr (01-24-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 08:23 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

^^^
I think frequency is too low for injector or more common belt tensioner noise. Could be lifter but does not sound like one to me! Could use a mechanics sthetiscope ($5 at Harbor Freight) to try to pinpoint the location.

Last edited by JerryU; 01-19-2020 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:07 AM
RWDonly
Racer

Received 255 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^^
I think frequency is too low for injector or more common belt tensioner noise. Could be lifter but does not sound like one to me! Could use a mechanics sthetiscope ($5 at Harbor Freight) to try to pinpoint the location.
That post is going on 2 years old, so hopefully they have figured it out by now. Good info nonetheless!
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (01-19-2020)

Quick Reply: Engine clicking noise