C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you agree that the C7 Z06 will not be faster than a C6 ZR1 b/c of GMs marketing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 10:48 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Could it be that GM is going to make a "458" type Corvette? A high HP n/a engine with mag ride standard and a super fast auto, a car that will by anyones standards be a " super car " edging into the realm of hyper cars. My guess is that it will be a 3400 pound rocket with octopus like traction that will spell death for most of it's competition. With the knowledge from C6-R and the upcoming C7-R being incorporated the car should show great promise as the $90,000 wonderkid of the automotive world. GM is betting a bundle on the success of this car and the future of Corvette rides on it.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:50 AM
Fugitive C7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcooper
Could it be that GM is going to make a "458" type Corvette? A high HP n/a engine with mag ride standard and a super fast auto, a car that will by anyones standards be a " super car " edging into the realm of hyper cars. My guess is that it will be a 3400 pound rocket with octopus like traction that will spell death for most of it's competition. With the knowledge from C6-R and the upcoming C7-R being incorporated the car should show great promise as the $90,000 wonderkid of the automotive world. GM is betting a bundle on the success of this car and the future of Corvette rides on it.
Pretty sure a large % of people wanting a z06 or the like do not want auto. I'm certainly in that camp, dont care how fast it shifts, no slush-box for me.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:03 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 585 Likes on 400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by JohnFather
On a side note Jimmy what happened to you, you like the c7 ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! never thought that would happen ?? lol lol

I think most of your guys' assessment is accurate and that the C7 Z06 will outperform (maybe only slightly) the C6 ZR1 on the track, b/c they want those C6 ZR1 guys to open up their large wallets and buy the new C7 Z06, which should be an engineering and performance marvel.

Johnny,

On a side note the car I never disliked the car except for the rear end, BUT, the more I see it in person, and after sitting in one this last week with that new sweet interior, the car is quickly growing on me, it does make the C6 look boring and outdated with its European, sleek and agressive styling all rolled into one.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 12-29-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:43 PM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Price of admission for the Z06 is gonna come in high 90's to low 100's. Has to be just the cost of CC brakes will push it up there. The HP will not be anywhere near 638 of the ZR1. Two different cars with different demands. The ZR1 was not really a track car (think auto x not drag strip). GM already has mentioned it will be the best handling track car yet. One thing GM does not do is go from 505 to 638 hp so those thinking the Z06 will have more HP than the ZR1 had, are not being realistic. I believe the new car will come in at 575/575 hp/tq for the first few years of the run.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Mr.Lee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
The C7 is a smoking hot car that is REALLY growing on me fast, and I we know that every couple years GM likes to come up with its latest and greatest high HP crazy performance Vette, to keep sales rocking and to be the king of the hill vs Ford and Mopar, and my guess is that the upcoming C7 Z06 will probably have between around 600 HP, with the a C7 ZR1 (or whatever else they call the next high performance model in a few years) making at least 700 ponies.

Million dollor question- Do you agree or disagree, that the upcoming C7 Z06 to be unveiled in the Detroit auto show in a couple weeks will have have as much HP (638 ponies) and will not be as fast as the C6 ZR1 in all the popular performance categories.

We are living in some exciting times regarding the modern HP wars and one would think that since the 2014 Viper makes 640 HP and the 2013 Mustang makes approx 662 HP, that the new high performance C7 Z06 to be unveiled in January might beat those HP numbers to be top dog when it comes to HP made, b/c as we know there is a lot more to the car than HP, but HPower does sell all day long and the big 3 love to be top dog when it comes to that topic.

Thanks for your intelligible input!
Jimmy, it's a must the new C7 Z06 is faster then it's predessor or what's the point of trading up to the C7 or purchasing one for the first time if it's slower.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:17 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Mr.Lee
Jimmy, it's a must the new C7 Z06 is faster then it's predessor or what's the point of trading up to the C7 or purchasing one for the first time if it's slower.
I agree with you for those who have a C6 ZR1 and it would make sense that those folks would represent the biggest target (market) for the C7 Z06.

Bottomline is that I think the C7 Z06 will (slightly) outpeform the C6 ZR1 in most performance categories with less horsepower.

By the way, what is the date that the C7 Z06 will be unveiled (January 12th)?
Old 12-29-2013, 02:56 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Fugitive C7
Pretty sure a large % of people wanting a z06 or the like do not want auto. I'm certainly in that camp, dont care how fast it shifts, no slush-box for me.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:13 PM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Never-Enough
If there is no C7 ZR1 then the C7Z better beat the C6 ZR1 by a good margin...
Why?...
Old 12-29-2013, 03:25 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by 455230
Why?...
Because what "performance minded" vette guy is going to shell out close to $100K for a slower vette, when he could buy a C6 ZR1 for $70K?

Forward progress, corvette is not going to go backwords when they end up with the final C7 that is the ultimate performance C7, be it a C7 Z06 or C7 ZR1 to come after that.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:42 PM
thedofuss
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whatever they call "it" the new C7 will outperform any prior vette. thats essentially what GM has said, i think. the overall business strategy of GM has to be considered at this point in time. GM is on the ropes, big time, for survival--read their financials. they have the caddy and the vette to distinguish themselves, and the vette will be their best shot for the speed race, but only if it is their own very best, as well as the best of its peer group. if i were running GM, in lieu of that woman, i would pull out all the stops--personally and professionally--to get back into the game, or give it up.

the biggest problem with GM, of course, was roger smith--probably the most inept ceo of all time. hes gone, and GM is not far behind. by that i mean, that GM will not just disappear of course, but rather will be broken up into its constituent parts (chevy, caddy, buick, GMC)--either as a spin off, via the investment banking strategy du jour, or alternatively a foreign buyer will come in and take all or the parts. under any outcome, corvette has to distinguish itself, rather than some other, conservative strategy (that also includes establishing the vette in the foreign market place like every other company on the planet has done). that would be suicidal. note: its not about hp, letters used to describe the car, historic anything. these are irrelevant considerations. also note that GM is now on its own again, with the government having sold its shares back to us.

the strategy of GM has to reflect the objective of distinguishing each remaining division. the chevy as a luxury sedan, whatever, is a lost cause--impala??. i could obviously be wrong, depending on what the republican agenda is, and what their real financial backers have in store for the USA. my analysis excludes that. watch for the fastest and highest performing car corvette has ever produced--or at least its efforts in that regard. QED. EOD. STP.

Last edited by thedofuss; 12-29-2013 at 04:44 PM. Reason: poor wording
Old 12-29-2013, 04:48 PM
thedofuss
Drifting

Originally Posted by Stingray23
The C6 platform is old news. That includes the ZR1. I would be surprised and disappointed if the C7 Z06 isnt faster and better then the ZR1. Especially if were not gonna get a C7 ZR1.
is your yellow pic the C7? if so, what did you do to rid yourself of that chrome bar in the grille? thanks in advance.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:53 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 614 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by thedofuss
is your yellow pic the C7? if so, what did you do to rid yourself of that chrome bar in the grille? thanks in advance.
Its a C6 Z06
Old 12-29-2013, 05:21 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by ldepalma
Price of admission for the Z06 is gonna come in high 90's to low 100's. Has to be just the cost of CC brakes will push it up there. The HP will not be anywhere near 638 of the ZR1. Two different cars with different demands. The ZR1 was not really a track car (think auto x not drag strip). GM already has mentioned it will be the best handling track car yet. One thing GM does not do is go from 505 to 638 hp so those thinking the Z06 will have more HP than the ZR1 had, are not being realistic. I believe the new car will come in at 575/575 hp/tq for the first few years of the run.
I believe there will be ONE Z model of the C7 due to both Reuss and Juenter's previous statements. It is EASY to get over 650 HP on an LT1 with a Roots blower - and that's what they will do. The trick is thermal management and my guess is you'll see what all those louvers are REALLY for.

The car will offer ceramic brakes as an option to keep the base cost down, and because the Z51 iron brakes are already pretty good.

My guess it will blow both the ZR1 in the weeds on the street, and the Z06 on the track, but it will be fundamentally a track car - listen to Reuss's comments on why the Z28 is the top Camaro. As a result expect a weight reduction program involving more carbon fiber for the flared fenders and other mold line changes.

To address the numbers problem, expect the base MSRP to be less than $90K. Oh, and as for the OP's premise about the ZR1 being a ceiling for any C7 Z-model, I've got a new term for you - creative destruction. The ZR1 was OBE in January 2013.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:11 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Lee
Rumur has it! There is already an ZR1 owner that traded his 2010 with 15k
and 3,000.00 dollars towards a 66k MSRP C-7! One happy car dealer!
The C7 ZO6 predessor model is the C-6 ZO6! Not a ZR1!
Old 12-29-2013, 06:40 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
I believe there will be ONE Z model of the C7 due to both Reuss and Juenter's previous statements. It is EASY to get over 650 HP on an LT1 with a Roots blower - and that's what they will do. The trick is thermal management and my guess is you'll see what all those louvers are REALLY for.

The car will offer ceramic brakes as an option to keep the base cost down, and because the Z51 iron brakes are already pretty good.

My guess it will blow both the ZR1 in the weeds on the street, and the Z06 on the track, but it will be fundamentally a track car - listen to Reuss's comments on why the Z28 is the top Camaro. As a result expect a weight reduction program involving more carbon fiber for the flared fenders and other mold line changes.

To address the numbers problem, expect the base MSRP to be less than $90K. Oh, and as for the OP's premise about the ZR1 being a ceiling for any C7 Z-model, I've got a new term for you - creative destruction. The ZR1 was OBE in January 2013.
If you hit 3 out 4 sign me up! I doubt it , will be less cost (90k)
or less hp (650) Dealer mark-up ? crazy high and they will be a hot demand!
Old 12-29-2013, 06:48 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Stingray23
Its a C6 Z06
Old 12-30-2013, 10:18 AM
burbleflyer
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

Days after Chevy released its first teaser, spy shots of the new 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 have hit the wire, showing dramatic aerodynamic enhancements, extra vents, and a new hood – which just may be hiding a new 650-hp supercharged V-8 underneath, according to a leaked Instagram photo.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/1312_2015_...#ixzz2oyJB22ST

LOL! Look at the peekaboos for the tail lights!!

Last edited by burbleflyer; 12-30-2013 at 10:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Do you agree that the C7 Z06 will not be faster than a C6 ZR1 b/c of GMs marketing?