Sponsored by:

Local dealer no help since I didn't purchase C7 there

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 11:40 PM
jaimeleger
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Local dealer no help since I didn't purchase C7 there

Had the infamous check rear axle light warning yesterday. Called MacMulkin where I purchased the C7 a few weeks ago and they suggested taking it to the local dealer in town who sells a considerable number of C7s if I was concerned about driving it 75 miles to NH. I called my local dealer in town and was first asked by the receptionist if I bought the car there, then by the service department. When I told them I didn't buy it at the dealership, has 70 miles on it, live around the corner, and if the could check it for the common software issue they said no because I didn't buy it from them. I'm not sure who was more surprised, me or Ron at MacMulkin who Called me right back on his day off. Being a GM car, and brand new I was surprised they refused to help me. Seems like sales discrimination. Glad I got it at MacMulkin even if I have to tow it up or drive up for maintenance. A special thanks to Glenn on the forum for suggesting to check the battery cables-it did the trick.

My third Vette in 12 years, prob not my last and won't be buying from the local dealer after this. What happen to the corvette brotherhood lol. Drive safe and happy new year.
Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2014, 11:50 PM
rrichar2591
Drifting

Received 328 Likes on 183 Posts

Glad you got the issue resolved but I would have a talk with someone in GM customer service. I can't believe they want their dealers behaving this way. It's very short sighted on the local dealers part and a disservice to all Chevrolet customers that may need service there.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:52 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 1,015 Likes on 525 Posts
Tech Contributor

GM customer service has very little or no control over things like this...just find another dealer...
Old 01-01-2014, 11:52 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Maybe mention that to one of the Chevy Customer Service people on this forum? I don't think they can refuse warranty services on our cars. I will be in the same boat because I purchased my car 457 miles away from home.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:11 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Glen e
GM customer service has very little or no control over things like this...just find another dealer...

You darn well better believe GM does! They are obligated that every qualified dealer service any car. That's just BS if a dealer says no because you didn't buy it from them. They need to root out this sort of attitude. What if he broke down somewhere on the road? Does he need to tow it back to the guy he bought it from? Every dealer who has the qualifications should do the job.

Tell them you want an appointment and show up. Don't take any BS!
Old 01-02-2014, 12:12 AM
jaimeleger
Instructor

Default No service locally

Originally Posted by rrichar2591
Glad you got the issue resolved but I would have a talk with someone in GM customer service. I can't believe they want their dealers behaving this way. It's very short sighted on the local dealers part and a disservice to all Chevrolet customers that may need service there.
I can kind of understand their point of having a limited number of techs and wanting to focus on their customers who bought cars from them - but if I bought it at say Kerbeck or a dealer outside of New England and was refused service by every corvette dealer near me I'd be pretty screwed. I take my Lexus to the Toyota dealer for oil change and maintenance and never been refused. Maybe they were short handed on the holidays but they could have offered to help me at some point versus flat out refusing.

As a biz owner (ad agency) all you have as a differentiator is good will and customer service. At 47 years of age I am likely to purchase many new Vettes, as our my many friends who fell in love with my new C7. Foolish moves like this end up costing the dealership many sales over many years. Small mice have sharp teeth as they say!
Old 01-02-2014, 12:16 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by BERETTA
Maybe mention that to one of the Chevy Customer Service people on this forum? I don't think they can refuse warranty services on our cars. I will be in the same boat because I purchased my car 457 miles away from home.
You're not in any boat. Either this dealer is just some freakish anomaly That GM needs to get on his case or the OP is wrong in what he's claiming or understanding.

The dealer shouldn't even ask where the car came from. Maybe you bought it second hand. Is that a crime? "I'm sorry we can't service your car because the first owner didn't buy it from us. Sorry. Take it back to the dealer he bought it from."

Baloney.

The only he thing do is ask you if you have a C7, what the problem is, and when you can bring it in. Period.

Last edited by Sin City; 01-02-2014 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:20 AM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by jaimeleger
Had the infamous check rear axle light warning yesterday. Called MacMulkin where I purchased the C7 a few weeks ago and they suggested taking it to the local dealer in town who sells a considerable number of C7s if I was concerned about driving it 75 miles to NH. I called my local dealer in town and was first asked by the receptionist if I bought the car there, then by the service department. When I told them I didn't buy it at the dealership, has 70 miles on it, live around the corner, and if the could check it for the common software issue they said no because I didn't buy it from them. I'm not sure who was more surprised, me or Ron at MacMulkin who Called me right back on his day off. Being a GM car, and brand new I was surprised they refused to help me. Seems like sales discrimination. Glad I got it at MacMulkin even if I have to tow it up or drive up for maintenance. A special thanks to Glenn on the forum for suggesting to check the battery cables-it did the trick.

My third Vette in 12 years, prob not my last and won't be buying from the local dealer after this. What happen to the corvette brotherhood lol. Drive safe and happy new year.
Please post the name of the dealer who refused to look at your car so that other people can avoid them.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:27 AM
jaimeleger
Instructor

Default Not mistaken

Originally Posted by Sin City
You're not in any boat. Either this dealer is just some freakish anomaly That GM needs to get on his case or the OP is wrong in what he's claiming or understanding.

I was told flat out Cant help me since they are only servicing C7s they sold. Funny the receptionist asked me prior to connecting me to service so obviously I wasn't the first person to be asked or told this. I asked him twice and got the same answer-it was made very clear. Since it was a rear axle deal I was very Leary to drive to NH having heard of problems with low fluids in the early Vins. Ron checked with service yesterday on his own and called me back on his day off to tell me mine was checked and in the system as fine. He also suggested contacting Customer Service on this dealer and was shocked as well. No confusion. Hopefully this is an anomaly. Drive safe all
Old 01-02-2014, 12:28 AM
air86
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jaimeleger

I am gambling here, but my guess into why they acted in this manner is because you went to a high volume dealer and purchased this car at MSRP. I was snubbed at a local dealer here in Vegas a few weeks ago when I went in just to inquire about a courtesy delivery and they told me the same exact thing " you didn't buy it here so we cant help you", They are also charging 7500 over sticker right now, 7500 in pure profit for the dealer not counting the profit they are getting without the addendum but I could be wrong on that. My belief here is; and this may or not be wrong is that they probably had corvettes you could have bought at that dealership and also paid their 7000+ addendum that from my experiences is non negotiable, but instead purchased at volume and saved a couple thousand. I seen one dealership as high as 15k over sticker, was like 91k for a 3lt/z51.

The dealer asked me why I went out of state when I could have bought one right here and I asked him if he had allocation he said not at this time but maybe soon and I asked if he would come down on the premium and he also said "no" it is what it is supply and demand.

Last edited by air86; 01-02-2014 at 12:31 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:28 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

You darn well better believe GM does! They are obligated that every qualified dealer service any car. That's just BS if a dealer says no because you didn't buy it from them. They need to root out this sort of attitude. What if he broke down somewhere on the road? Does he need to tow it back to the guy he bought it from? Every dealer who has the qualifications should do the job.

Tell them you want an appointment and show up. Don't take any BS!
Agreed. Servicing GM cars in honor of the factory warranty is a part of the dealers franchise contract with GM and Chevrolet. If they want to continue to be a GM/Chevrolet dealer, they had better change their tune, or they will be selling used cars via 'buy here, pay here' on the quick.

I would most certainly contact GM/Chevrolet customer service. I would also contact the BBB.

However, before doing that, I would make absolutely sure that they were outright refusing to help you. That they didn't mean they couldn't do it 'today', but actually meant they couldn't do it 'ever'. Sometimes, these folks can come off wrong, sounding like they are saying one thing and meaning something else. I'm pretty sure they would know they are contractually obligated to do warranty work whether they sold the car or not.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:52 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,561 Likes on 14,116 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Glen e
But I sure would be having some words with the owner of that dealership and tell them how displeased you are and that they have lost a customer for life.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:01 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 1,015 Likes on 525 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
But I sure would be having some words with the owner of that dealership and tell them how displeased you are and that they have lost a customer for life.
sorry I was a bit short...of course, customer relations via a call can get the dealer on the line and try and force him to do the service, but if he's really a jerk, he'll say "ok, but it'll be two-four weeks as i"m booked " or some other crap, and CR can't do a damn thing about that.. I've seen it for years. He can say his tech is overloaded, they can slow walk parts...forget it...and also, he does not want a bad survey he knows you're gonna give 'em.

Frankly if this happened to me, I would call cust relations and have them set up a appt at ANOTHER dealer. Because once you force a dealer to do work he does not want to do....what kind of work do you think he's gonna do???...like sending a meal back and having the chef spit in your meal!

WHAT IS FAR MORE IMPORTANT is I would want no part of a dealer that gave me that response. Warranty money is good money to the dealer, and any of the major chains like Penske or AutoNation don't give damn where you bought it..screw him find another dealer...

And for others, if you're buying from one of the forum dealers like I did, and have not take delivery yet, pay a visit to a few local stores and ASK if they will service it. I did, found two dealers close that said "no problem" after I asked for the GM....And don't call or email, GO SEE THEM.

Last edited by Glen e; 01-02-2014 at 01:23 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:08 AM
BIg Wash AZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fools errand

I have a friend who is a service manager at a substantial Ford dealership. The service drive is a significant revenue source. He told me that his bonus is based on volume and he could care less where the car was purchased. He wished he could get every Ford vehicle warranty job in town.

We purchased our C6 from Michigan with courtesy delivery in Tucson. The first time we needed service, the Tucson dealer's service writer didn't even ask where we bought the car. They have been super to work with since that day.

A dealer who turns down a chance to make a buck and a good customer is a fool.

Last edited by BIg Wash AZ; 01-02-2014 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:12 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

The dealer shouldn't even ask where the car came from. Maybe you bought it second hand. Is that a crime? "I'm sorry we can't service your car because the first owner didn't buy it from us. Sorry. Take it back to the dealer he bought it from."

Baloney.

The only he thing do is ask you if you have a C7, what the problem is, and when you can bring it in. Period.
2 quick questions: 1) "...the OP is wrong in what hes claiming...."--are you saying the OP is misrepresenting what happened?, 2) what means: "The only he thing do is ask you...."=??. just trying to understand your point.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:31 AM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Agreed. Servicing GM cars in honor of the factory warranty is a part of the dealers franchise contract with GM and Chevrolet. If they want to continue to be a GM/Chevrolet dealer, they had better change their tune, or they will be selling used cars via 'buy here, pay here' on the quick.

I would most certainly contact GM/Chevrolet customer service. I would also contact the BBB.

However, before doing that, I would make absolutely sure that they were outright refusing to help you. That they didn't mean they couldn't do it 'today', but actually meant they couldn't do it 'ever'. Sometimes, these folks can come off wrong, sounding like they are saying one thing and meaning something else. I'm pretty sure they would know they are contractually obligated to do warranty work whether they sold the car or not.
Would you really want someone working on your car who didn't want to? Just a thought. Fek 'em - OP, you're in a decent-sized city, so find another Chevy store that understands where their profit comes from: SERVICE.

I have had dealers inquire about whether I bought the car from them, but it's always been to determine if my car is already in their computer record system. I have never bought a Corvette from a dealer where I take it for service, and have never gotten the "evil eye" from the service writer. Those dealers know where their bread is buttered - it ain't sales, it's the shop!
Old 01-02-2014, 02:16 AM
jaimeleger
Instructor

Default Thanks agree

Originally Posted by HummelS
Would you really want someone working on your car who didn't want to? Just a thought. Fek 'em - OP, you're in a decent-sized city, so find another Chevy store that understands where their profit comes from: SERVICE.

I have had dealers inquire about whether I bought the car from them, but it's always been to determine if my car is already in their computer record system. I have never bought a Corvette from a dealer where I take it for service, and have never gotten the "evil eye" from the service writer. Those dealers know where their bread is buttered - it ain't sales, it's the shop!

I bought my Z06 at a dealer in northern RI a year later they closed and I brought it to two diff dealers for diff things with never a question incl recalls. Bottom line they are giving pref to only their customers and punishing guys like me around the corner for not buying at their dealership. I went with Mac because my buddy had a great experience and they had a ton of allocations. I'm def not driving four hrs round trip for an oil change lol. Ty for the discussion. I figured when they clearly stated twice that " they currently only servicing C7s they sold" it wasn't right, but without the help of Glen on the forum I was ready to cover it and tow it to NH In the Spring.

It's come in very handy and worth the $25 annual fee to be member. We have a few small dealerships in RI I could likely bring for service, and hopefully they have techs and are up to speed, I guess there are worse things in life than owning two Vettes. Good problems to have maybe -just took me by surprise. Ty for comments.

Get notified of new replies

To Local dealer no help since I didn't purchase C7 there

Old 01-02-2014, 02:26 AM
Buck-I
Racer

To be fair, who pays for the mechanics to be trained to work on C7s...

Is it GM, or the dealer? I'd bet it was the dealer.

You snubbed them on they sale, they snubbed you on service. Seems fair to me.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:30 AM
NocarbutaVetteforme
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Easily remedied. Simply contact GM customer service and also make sure to get the Owner's/General manager's email/phone number. Then promptly email both and ensure to CC the dealer in question. Then proceed to explain exactly what transpired. You bought a "GM/Chevrolet" product and as such it states in your owners that they will do what it takes to ensure that you are satisfied with your product.

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...14corvette.pdf

There is no excuse for this type of behavior. Let's just put this in perspective and say that you bought the car in one location and then moved away or let's just say that you are on a road/business trip and the warranty work needs to be accomplished. Do not settle for anything less than complete satisfaction. I have provided a link to the 2014 Chevrolet vehicle warranties. In it you will find exactly what/where/and when you should take a vehicle in for servicing.

In particular you will find this excerpt:

Claims Procedure
As with the other warranties
covered in this booklet, take your
vehicle to any authorized Chevrolet
dealer facility to obtain service

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...wm2ndprint.pdf

Good luck and never forget the power of word of mouth or in this case power of communication on a popular website.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:34 AM
jaimeleger
Instructor

Default Actually snubbed 866 dealers

Originally Posted by Buck-I
To be fair, who pays for the mechanics to be trained to work on C7s...

Is it GM, or the dealer? I'd bet it was the dealer.

You snubbed them on they sale, they snubbed you on service. Seems fair to me.
I gave them shot. They no allocations for my color and CF Z51. How would you feel if you went to the dentist in pain and was told he wouldn't help you because he didn't do the original fillings? My best analogy at 2:30 in am. It's all good. Enjoyed the comments and advice.

Quick Reply: Local dealer no help since I didn't purchase C7 there