Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel swap-DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 02:44 PM
promethius
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 191 Posts

Well finished my steering wheel today! With the help of my wife holding the steering wheel, while I used a 1/2 torque wrench. After several attempts the torx bolt "finally" came loose. No threadlocker on the bolt!!!!
It is amazing that my air impact wrench could not budge it! Thank god for manual strength.......LOL.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:44 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,114 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by promethius
Well finished my steering wheel today! With the help of my wife holding the steering wheel, while I used a 1/2 torque wrench. After several attempts the torx bolt "finally" came loose. No threadlocker on the bolt!!!!
It is amazing that my air impact wrench could not budge it! Thank god for manual strength.......LOL.
If it had threadlocker on it like a lot of wheels do, you would have probably been unable to get if off. I decided to let the dealer swap mine and I'm glad I did. Usually with my projects, what can go wrong will go wrong.
The following 2 users liked this post by Red C8 of Jax:
blue max (12-28-2019), scottjays (02-14-2017)
Old 02-07-2016, 08:45 AM
familyman's C7
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14
Default just my luck...

Originally Posted by Red-C6 of Jax
If it had threadlocker on it like a lot of wheels do, you would have probably been unable to get if off. I decided to let the dealer swap mine and I'm glad I did. Usually with my projects, what can go wrong will go wrong.
Oh, like me last night.

I went to replace my round wheel on my 2014 with a suede, d shape with yellow stitching.

I followed the advice of turning the wheel to the left all the way and started taking the wheel bolt off by hand with a breaker bar. It was coming off, but very slowly and stubbornly. I figured I would fire up my air compressor and use my impact to speed up the removal. I ended up stripping the torx recess on the bolt, not the driver bit. They must have used a crap load of thread locker.

So, to get the bolt out, I used a pair of vice grips and a section of pipe as leverage. I could only turn it about 1/6 of a turn at the time, and after a while, quite a while, I was able to get it out.

I ordered a replacement bolt from Cultrag last night, should have it in a few days. I must say the wheel looks good sitting on the steer column.

As for making sure the wheel gets installed properly on the shaft, I noticed the wheel has an arrow at 6 o'clock and the shaft has a dot at 6 o'clock to aide in proper installation.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:59 AM
Keith N
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I replaced my C6Z steering wheel without any issues. After reading all of the challenges with the C7 install, I decided to have a friend at the dealership do the job for $40. I replaced my 2015 round wheel with an GM D Bottom wheel form Trunk Monkey.
The following users liked this post:
subchev (04-18-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 07:31 PM
halt00
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

First spring mod - carbon fiber bezel and carbon fiber center console to match the factory carbon fiber dash.

The following 2 users liked this post by halt00:
C7 x 2 (04-15-2016), Tusc (02-01-2021)
Old 04-15-2016, 09:06 PM
buckeye4
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith N
I replaced my C6Z steering wheel without any issues. After reading all of the challenges with the C7 install, I decided to have a friend at the dealership do the job for $40. I replaced my 2015 round wheel with an GM D Bottom wheel form Trunk Monkey.
Same here. Great price from Trunk Monkey with 2 day shipping. My dealer charged 1/2 hour labor for the swap.

Last edited by buckeye4; 04-15-2016 at 09:13 PM.
subchev (04-18-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 10:47 AM
halt00
Pro

Originally Posted by buckeye4
Same here. Great price from Trunk Monkey with 2 day shipping. My dealer charged 1/2 hour labor for the swap.

BTW, I was reading the GM service manuals, and it states to wait 2 minutes after disconnecting the battery (or there is an option to remove certain fuses).
Old 04-19-2016, 11:17 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by halt00
BTW, I was reading the GM service manuals, and it states to wait 2 minutes after disconnecting the battery (or there is an option to remove certain fuses).
If you don't mind... Which fuses?

I'd rather not disconnect the battery if possible
Old 04-19-2016, 12:44 PM
C7 x 2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

I just pumped the brakes a few times after disconnecting the negative cable. That bleeds off any residual electrical charge. The main purpose is for the air bags but there are a lot more electrical connections in there than that so it would require pulling more than one fuse.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:35 PM
promethius
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by halt00
All u have to do is disconnect the negative side of the battery....it is two bolts! Recommendation: wait 20 mins after I disconnect! But I think disconnecting the battery is a heck of a lot easier then trying to figure out which fuse it is!
Old 04-19-2016, 02:48 PM
promethius
Burning Brakes

All u have to do is disconnect the negative side of the battery....it is two bolts! Recommendation: wait 20 mins after I disconnect! But I think disconnecting the battery is a heck of a lot easier then trying to figure out which fuse it is!
If this is the first time the air bag is being removed be aware in the manufacturing process the access holes to release the spring has a rubber coating over it on the inside. So when u push the screwdriver, Allen wrench, etc into the hole u r going to feel resistance. You have to break/pierce that coating and then you will feel the spring release.
C7 x 2 (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 05:43 PM
halt00
Pro

Originally Posted by markcz
If you don't mind... Which fuses?

I'd rather not disconnect the battery if possible
I'll try to find it - the manuals are 4000 pages with a crappy index! The battery is actually one bolt, flip up the carpet in the right rear and take the foam out. Follow the tips in either case to discharge the battery with the brakes. Also another note, please roll down your windows and find the manual open door handle so you can open the doors. Disconnecting the battery may cause the car to prompt you to re-index your windows - super easy, car guides you.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:14 PM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

I just swapped my wheel out. My bolt was Loctited at the factory and did not want to come off. Blue Loctite can be softened with a heat gun I hit the bolt with a heat gun for about 30 seconds and it came right off.
george vee (03-06-2017)
Old 12-21-2016, 10:02 PM
Clc3251
Racer

Received 274 Likes on 130 Posts

Great thread, great forum. I just swapped the steering wheel on my new to me 2014 Vette in about 20 minutes thanks to this thread. I absolutely needed the 700ft/lbs impact wrench to loosen the nut. I also had to turn it up to 120lbs of air pressure and put the wrench on high to get it to budge. With the 700lb wrench this is an easy do it yourself project. I did have to reset the windows and top to get them to operate correctly. Also had to reprogram the mods4cars smartTOP module to get it to operate correctly as it somehow deactivated when the negative cable was disconnected from the battery. Thanks again for the instructions!
Old 01-06-2017, 03:21 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,074 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Thanks for this post
Old 02-14-2017, 03:51 PM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 509 Likes on 293 Posts

okay I got a cf painted trim piece and followed the directions disconnect batter check waited 10 minutes. Poked an allen wrench into the little holes on either side of the steering wheel nothing went right down to solid metal no clip after a while with poking at various angle I got the bottom of the air bag to pop up not amount of gentle pulling or poking on the left side of the hole in the steering wheel got the top to pop up. What am I doing wrong it seems like an easy task? I tried prying up the trim piece with out removing the air bag and it seems like the air bag is holding it down. I do not want the damn thing going off. Nor do I want to wreck anything. I will hold off until I get some more advise.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:27 PM
promethius
Burning Brakes

The first time those springs are released, they are really tight. The first time I did this, i felt the one side release and then when I went to the other side, the first side would pop back in. After several attempts I eventually used a nylon trim tool to hold the bag away from the spring, until I got both sides to release. Once both springs release it is easy to wiggle the air bag out. Don't be afraid the bag is not going to go off if you diconnected the battery!

Get notified of new replies

To Steering wheel swap-DIY

Old 02-14-2017, 04:32 PM
promethius
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dashotgun
okay I got a cf painted trim piece and followed the directions disconnect batter check waited 10 minutes. Poked an allen wrench into the little holes on either side of the steering wheel nothing went right down to solid metal no clip after a while with poking at various angle I got the bottom of the air bag to pop up not amount of gentle pulling or poking on the left side of the hole in the steering wheel got the top to pop up. What am I doing wrong it seems like an easy task? I tried prying up the trim piece with out removing the air bag and it seems like the air bag is holding it down. I do not want the damn thing going off. Nor do I want to wreck anything. I will hold off until I get some more advise.
if u are trying to remove the silver trim bezel....the air bag has to come out!
Old 02-14-2017, 04:41 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Looks good...nice write up too.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:14 PM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 509 Likes on 293 Posts

if u are trying to remove the silver trim bezel....the air bag has to come out!
I know that hence the request on how to remove the airbag

Quick Reply: Steering wheel swap-DIY