Biggest flaw of C7

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 04:50 PM
SONKIST
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Go to any good driving school and it's one of the first things they teach you. If you have side mirrors and an interior rearview mirror you DO NOT HAVE BLIND SPOTS if your mirrors are set correctly.

Ever see a race car driver turn their head to make a "lane change" at 180 mph? No. because their mirrors are set right and they have awareness of everything around them.

When I hear someone say, "He was in my blind spot" then I just shake my head… In a panic situation in front of me, I can glance in the rear view and then the side view and if both are clear, then the lane is clear and I can do that in a second and know if I have a lane to bail to - all while continuing to steer with the anti-lock brakes engaged. And all of my kids are trained to be able to do the same and have practiced it.

This country seriously needs better driver training!
Old 02-27-2014, 04:53 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

As long as you adjust your side mirrors so that side of the car is just out of view, you will have full coverage. The back window is small.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:02 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 504 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by onthebottom
That's awesome!

When I test drove the car I couldn't believe how bad the rear visibility was (I have no experience with Corvettes), that said, I'm not going to be passed very often
Tell that to the trooper you just passed
Old 02-27-2014, 05:08 PM
sccaracer46
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SONKIST

Go to any good driving school and it's one of the first things they teach you. If you have side mirrors and an interior rearview mirror you DO NOT HAVE BLIND SPOTS if your mirrors are set correctly.

Ever see a race car driver turn their head to make a "lane change" at 180 mph? No. because their mirrors are set right and they have awareness of everything around them.

When I hear someone say, "He was in my blind spot" then I just shake my head… In a panic situation in front of me, I can glance in the rear view and then the side view and if both are clear, then the lane is clear and I can do that in a second and know if I have a lane to bail to - all while continuing to steer with the anti-lock brakes engaged. And all of my kids are trained to be able to do the same and have practiced it.

This country seriously needs better driver training!
When the mirrors are adjusted as indicated you will be able to see the car in the side mirrors before you lose it in the rear window and you will be able to view it in the side mirror until it is beside you where your peripheral vision will pick it up! Like stated above, YOU HAVE NO BLIND SPOTS!!! Not an issue!
Old 02-28-2014, 08:32 AM
azvetters
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C 7 Convert

[QUOTE=c6miller;1586277827]I agree that the mirrors need to be adjusted outward to compensate for the blind spot. My C7 convertible is substantially worse than my C6 because the seat appears lower and the deck lid higher blocking most of the view when you turn your head]

I added washers to the seat base to raise the seat / and lowered the rear by 3 turns on stock bolts to lower the rear of my Vette.
it's a LiL Better, Wife quite bitchin?????

AZVETTERS
Old 02-28-2014, 08:58 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

[QUOTE=azvetters;1586283728]
Originally Posted by c6miller
I agree that the mirrors need to be adjusted outward to compensate for the blind spot. My C7 convertible is substantially worse than my C6 because the seat appears lower and the deck lid higher blocking most of the view when you turn your head]

I added washers to the seat base to raise the seat / and lowered the rear by 3 turns on stock bolts to lower the rear of my Vette.
it's a LiL Better, Wife quite bitchin?????

AZVETTERS
exactly, thank you very much. looking out the back on the c6 gives you that panaramic view, sort of. not so on the c7. but over all the c7 is a much better vehicle, imo. the car just looks so sleek compared to the c6.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:07 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,403 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Biggest flaw of the C7 is that they'll sell one to just anyone
Old 02-28-2014, 11:47 AM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by KenHorse
I always thought they were for OPENING the door, not closing it
Old 02-28-2014, 12:24 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 488 Likes on 313 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwzUE...etailpage#t=56
Old 02-28-2014, 01:11 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Larry/car
The only issue I have found to date is; the door opening latch cutout isn't large enough. I closed the door on my finger, upper edge. Boy did that hurt, still black and blue.
whoa! then you have bigger problems than i do.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:30 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,684 Likes on 6,671 Posts

Originally Posted by billyboy47
i know a lot of people will disagree on this one but, its my opinion and sticking to it. i went to stroudsburg, chevy the other day to look at the c7 (thinking of trading my 013) they have two on the floor. one is a cyber gray 2lt none z51. the other, is a/w z51 3lt. both beautiful cars. the only thing that really bothered me about the car is "the blind spots" its horrible trying to see rear or sides. it reminds me of the honda cr-z my wife and i looked at a few years back. (wound up buying a toyota) at least the c6 has the wrap around glass that makes it more tolerable. i wish i could test drive the vehicle to get a better perspective of things. sitting in the car i try to envision being on the road looking side to side and in the rear view mirror just seemed a bit difficult. i welcome all opinions, thank you.
Some will disagree with me as well but it is worse than my C6! The SAE ’95 paper on setting up your mirrors, which some have shown, is what I use. However that was based on having a wide view in the rear view center mirror. With the C7 you don’t. Did not use a blind spot mirror on my C6 which I had for 6 years (nor my ’93 or ’87) but I added one to the C7! It works great especially on the driver’s side. Set the mirrors to see far out as described by the SAE paper but you lose perspective of what you’re seeing relative to the C7. Look at the small blind spot oval glass mirror and you see both. At night the driver side mirror as well as the center mirror darken. The spot mirror does not and is small enough to not create excess glare. If you see a bright light use caution! With this addition and learning to use all mirrors I am very comfortable driving on the highway.
Check out the photos I took with a car on either side and see the difference at: netwelding.com/reports_vette_info.htm
Each of us has an opinion and that is mine.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:48 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by JerryU
Some will disagree with me as well but it is worse than my C6! The SAE ’95 paper on setting up your mirrors, which some have shown, is what I use. However that was based on having a wide view in the rear view center mirror. With the C7 you don’t. Did not use a blind spot mirror on my C6 which I had for 6 years (nor my ’93 or ’87) but I added one to the C7! It works great especially on the driver’s side. Set the mirrors to see far out as described by the SAE paper but you lose perspective of what you’re seeing relative to the C7. Look at the small blind spot oval glass mirror and you see both. At night the driver side mirror as well as the center mirror darken. The spot mirror does not and is small enough to not create excess glare. If you see a bright light use caution! With this addition and learning to use all mirrors I am very comfortable driving on the highway.
Check out the photos I took with a car on either side and see the difference at: netwelding.com/reports_vette_info.htm
Each of us has an opinion and that is mine.
thanks for the photo and your input.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:09 PM
ferravette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

After having driven a Diablo SV for about 10 years, the C7 blind spots are not a problem for me. Having said that, I can see some people having difficulty w the C7. But adjusting the mirrors properly and staying alert should do the trick. But you are right you need to get on the road and see if it suits you.

Good luck, hopefully you can make it work, as the C7 is a really super fun car.

Originally Posted by billyboy47
i know a lot of people will disagree on this one but, its my opinion and sticking to it. i went to stroudsburg, chevy the other day to look at the c7 (thinking of trading my 013) they have two on the floor. one is a cyber gray 2lt none z51. the other, is a/w z51 3lt. both beautiful cars. the only thing that really bothered me about the car is "the blind spots" its horrible trying to see rear or sides. it reminds me of the honda cr-z my wife and i looked at a few years back. (wound up buying a toyota) at least the c6 has the wrap around glass that makes it more tolerable. i wish i could test drive the vehicle to get a better perspective of things. sitting in the car i try to envision being on the road looking side to side and in the rear view mirror just seemed a bit difficult. i welcome all opinions, thank you.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:23 PM
WBT
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

The C7 I ordered still hasn't arrived yet, but I still wish the car came with a CD player. At least make it optional for people like myself who want one.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:37 PM
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts

The rear side quarter windows and greenhouse lines are still something I'm not sure I like but nothing the vert won't cure.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:17 PM
kdepew
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

I think the lack of rear visibility is the price that is paid for the look of the C7. I think the rear glass is a big part of what makes the C7 look "more exotic" than the C6. However, I don't agree that it is a non-issue. Good rear visibility is nice. A car with great visibility is more confidence inspiring when driving. You can adjust your mirrors and make the best of it, but it is not as good as simply having good visibility in the first place. IMO, it is just a compromise you have to accept for the look of the C7. As others have said, you should spend time in one and make sure you can live with it.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:13 PM
grey 79
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the rear quarter windows help with the blind spots?
Have only been able to sit in the Vert, not the coupe.

Get notified of new replies

To Biggest flaw of C7

Old 03-01-2014, 09:22 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
I always thought they were for OPENING the door, not closing it
The car was already sold and I was trying close the door gently and held the door as I closed it. The C6 opening is considerably larger. I have closed the C6 door the same way and have not had a problem. I got it good, my finger is still black and blue (over a week).
Old 03-01-2014, 11:07 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,096 Likes on 1,733 Posts

I think the blind spots are a non issue for a capable driver.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:15 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,684 Likes on 6,671 Posts

Originally Posted by WBT
The C7 I ordered still hasn't arrived yet, but I still wish the car came with a CD player. At least make it optional for people like myself who want one.
I took the 32GB SD card out of my 35mm SLR (put back the 8GB that came with the camera) and loaded every CD I have on it! Can use the voice command and it finds the artist and if I wish a song! Works great.

Quick Reply: Biggest flaw of C7