Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very disappointed about price increase

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 12:27 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

So let me get this right, you can afford a ZR1 "new" and this price increase bothers you?
Old 03-05-2014, 12:27 PM
CANADIANSTEELMAN
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Prices for Vettes in Canada aldso going up?

Anybody hear of a price increase in Canada?
Old 03-05-2014, 12:29 PM
Limey25
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dan12
Actually what is disappointing is the conduct of the average Corvette owner or potential owner to the price increase. Yesterdays thread was unbelievable and although it was closed it really brought out the true colors of this board.

My main concern with buying a Corvette is the general perception of "The Corvette Owner" I was hoping things changed but from that display there are enough bad apples that really give this board and Corvette in general a tainted reputation. Its a great car but it threads like that one that brings it down a few levels.

It was embarrassing.

I don't want this thread to turn negative, i wish this could have been added to the bottom of yesterdays thread as a last post. Or maybe the administrator should have had some similar closing words to the offenders. Embarrassing.

Edit: maybe this post doesn't belong here but I had to speak my peace. Please feel free to remove or relocate it.

I avoided much of the thread as it descended rapidly into name calling. But it was also unsurprising as there are plenty of posters who had been taking potshots at new buyers (many were new to the brand) and basically calling them stupid. The natural reaction was that upon an announced price increase, this was thrown back at them. Neither group covered themselves with glory.

Personally, I am disappointed for those buyers who were ambushed and were holding off for whatever reason. I am also selfishly relieved that I was not affected, but based on what I have read, there will be an ultimate self-correction. If the new price is too high for the market, then discounts/rebates will increase. Supply and Demand will determine the price more than the sticker on the car given enough time.

Final note: the car for me is still incredible value at the new price that has been set.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:30 PM
Art-2008
Instructor

Default Buy Now.

I bought a lot of cars in the 70's and many years were worse than the year before. Examples: 1971 Corvette (High Compression Engine)- 1972 Corvette (Low Compression Engine)-1973 Corvette (Big Rubber Front Bumper)- 1974 Corvette (added Big Rear Rubber Bumper), and the horsepower went down and down.......

The 70's were generally hard times for car enthusiasts, and I'm NOT predicting a repeat (at least not yet). But, personally I like almost EVERYTHING about the 2014, I don't want to take a chance and wait (nor deprive myself for another year).

You never know what the EPA or politicians are going to do next. Another price increase for 2015 is a SURE THING there are also rumors that the 2015 may have the start/stop engine.

I don't want to be the guy months from now who is complaining about the 2015 price increase and how his engine stops every time his car idles.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:32 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

This is starting to remind me of the "Tail Lights" threads (and may suffer a similar fate). It is what it is. Accept it or don't. Quit whining. People are acting like this is the only car that has ever gone up in price. Sheesh!
Old 03-05-2014, 12:34 PM
Bob-G
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Limey25

I avoided much of the thread as it descended rapidly into name calling. But it was also unsurprising as there are plenty of posters who had been taking potshots at new buyers (many were new to the brand) and basically calling them stupid. The natural reaction was that upon an announced price increase, this was thrown back at them. Neither group covered themselves with glory.

Personally, I am disappointed for those buyers who were ambushed and were holding off for whatever reason. I am also selfishly relieved that I was not affected, but based on what I have read, there will be an ultimate self-correction. If the new price is too high for the market, then discounts/rebates will increase. Supply and Demand will determine the price more than the sticker on the car given enough time.

Final note: the car for me is still incredible value at the new price that has been set.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:34 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

GM will keep increasing the MSRP every couple of months until the base C7 reaches $84,300, the same as the base 911's MSRP. Then the C7 will have creds and everyone will be happy that the Corvette is finally equal to the 911.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:35 PM
Bob-G
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
This is starting to remind me of the "Tail Lights" threads (and may suffer a similar fate). It is what it is. Accept it or don't. Quit whining. People are acting like this is the only car that has ever gone up in price. Sheesh!
Amen!
Old 03-05-2014, 12:35 PM
onthebottom
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My order went 3400, TPW next week.

GM can set MSRP but the market sets the price, one Forum dealer is eating the increase for a limited time, order there (Rick Conti) otherwise wait until prices come down. Now, for the Z51, demand is outstripping supply - I think all GM has done is mark their product to market.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:40 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
It is all about the money, GM is doing what any smart company would do and taking advantage of supply and demand.
As for your purchases in the past if you move on due to the price increase someone else will be there to take your place. Cold facts.
At some point in the upcoming near future, GM will have jacked the MSRP so high that discounting will be needed to sell the cars after the hype and newness of the C7 has worn off. History repeats itself. Multiple vette price increases have occurred during model year runs many times.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:42 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Zymurgy

Bingo.

Enough said.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:42 PM
Dan12
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well said, and for all those reasons that thread shouldn't have taken the turn it did. It IS a great car at a great price.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:43 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

It happened to the C6 Z06. When it was released in 2005(as a 2006 model) the $64,890 price was great. A hell of a car for the money. So, for the 2007 model GM had a HUGE increase in the Z06's MSRP( to $69,175). Then they kept increasing the Z06's MSRP each year. Then in July 2008(before the economy crash) I purchased my 2009 Z06 with a $11,477 discount off MSRP($80,015). Then sales of the Z06 went into the toilet. They were priced above what people felt was a fair price. GM had to offer the employee price to friends of employees to move the cars(all GM cars/trucks). I purchased mine with the employee number of a friend who worked for GM. It was a legal transaction and the GM employee didn't get into trouble for letting me use his number. GM had hiked the MSRP up so high that they had to sell to the public at their employee's price to sell their cars.

History has a weird way of repeating itself.

Last edited by JoesC5; 03-05-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:44 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

If you keep the car four years the increase of $3000 amortizes to $62.00 per month. Your extra cost will cost less than a tank of gas each month. The Stingray is still a bargain. Also we do not know what this does to the invoice and holdback. Net effect may be less " out the door."

P.S. It IS GM's job to make a profit....

Last edited by quick04Z06; 03-05-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:50 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Old 03-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Yamanator
Instructor

Originally Posted by Supersonic 427
At a $51,995 base price, the C7 Coupe was priced incredibly low! One just has to look at a '13 C6 1LT Coupe in comparison to the '14 C7 1LT Coupe. There was only $1400 difference between MSRP. One has to just look what the C7 offers over the C6 for that small amount. I think it was purposely priced low to get the sales going after the lean years of sales from 2009-2013.
Even with the $2000 increase in base price and the $1200 additional charge on the Z51 pkg. It is still a bargain...nothing compares to it at that price.

Either way the OP is complaining because he wanted a 15 and the price went up on the 14? not sure that makes sense...
Old 03-05-2014, 01:04 PM
m3incorp
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Diver Down
Because if you live in a market like Colorado, where I live, and you wait for the 2015 you'll be receiving it as snow is falling. So you'll have a number of months when you're just staring at it in your garage....

Get notified of new replies

To Very disappointed about price increase

Old 03-05-2014, 01:11 PM
ENCT
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan12
Actually what is disappointing is the conduct of the average Corvette owner or potential owner to the price increase. Yesterdays thread was unbelievable and although it was closed it really brought out the true colors of this board.

My main concern with buying a Corvette is the general perception of "The Corvette Owner" I was hoping things changed but from that display there are enough bad apples that really give this board and Corvette in general a tainted reputation. Its a great car but it threads like that one that brings it down a few levels.

It was embarrassing.

I don't want this thread to turn negative, i wish this could have been added to the bottom of yesterdays thread as a last post. Or maybe the administrator should have had some similar closing words to the offenders. Embarrassing.

Edit: maybe this post doesn't belong here but I had to speak my peace. Please feel free to remove or relocate it.

I agree with you and in the beginning was having my doubts about my order with the whole Corvette Guy. I have to assume that it is only a small few that tarnish things on the forums. I am glad I placed my order as I think the car is a winner and I do not want to miss out on a great product. I find that I am not a Ford guy, Porsche guy, GTR guy, or any other type for that matter so I will say I am just a car guy.
Eric
Old 03-05-2014, 01:14 PM
sirploppy
Instructor

Originally Posted by JoesC5
It happened to the C6 Z06. When it was released in 2005(as a 2006 model) the $64,890 price was great. A hell of a car for the money. So, for the 2007 model GM had a HUGE increase in the Z06's MSRP( to $69,175). Then they kept increasing the Z06's MSRP each year. Then in July 2008(before the economy crash) I purchased my 2009 Z06 with a $11,477 discount off MSRP($80,015). Then sales of the Z06 went into the toilet. They were priced above what people felt was a fair price. GM had to offer the employee price to friends of employees to move the cars(all GM cars/trucks). I purchased mine with the employee number of a friend who worked for GM. It was a legal transaction and the GM employee didn't get into trouble for letting me use his number. GM had hiked the MSRP up so high that they had to sell to the public at their employee's price to sell their cars.

History has a weird way of repeating itself.

GM is striking while the iron is hot and will up the the price to what the market can bear. Ultimately this will fizzle and the likely future $65k C7 base msrp will emphasize the term "suggested" more than ever. But hey, if GM can make their numbers above 60k base, more power to um. Time will tell, I'm inclined to agree about the repeating history theory though.

Last edited by sirploppy; 03-05-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:20 PM
SteveMcGuire
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

It is amazing some of the whining that is going on in response to the price increase. All anyone has ever talked about on this forum was what an "incredible value" the Z 51 was at $2,800. Well, if that's so, wouldn't it make perfect sense for the manufacturer at some point to increase the price??? Demand for the Z51 has been overwhelming so isn't that just basic economics 101? The other thing that I find intriguing are those folks who can't decide whether to buy a 2014 "this late in the model year" or wait until the 2015, "but if I do that I won't take delivery until the winter when there's snow on the ground". Well folks, those are your options....why are you having so much difficult making a decision?

Quick Reply: Very disappointed about price increase