Sponsored by:

Mp3, SD ?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 02:34 PM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by rawhide
Help! I'm out of the loop when it comes to new music sources. I would like to know which is better for the c7. I don't have a cell phone or ipod or tablet. Would like something cheap to download music off of my cd's or the internet. I see the car has a place for a memory stick (sd I presume) .Can a sd shuffle songs . What about an m3p player. The ipods have more things than I need. Today I was at Best Buy and got confused. Is it better to have them pluged in or use bluetooth. Senior citizen needs help.
You can use usb flash drive (wav--mp3 files ) I used a Nano IPOD using the headphone jack ---to the mini jack Also you can use a potable CD player again head phone jack I have SD cards but haven't used them yet So my guess is buy a portable CD player ( get a friend or relative to look for one off or ebay ) Get one that has a dc charger and one that can run on batteries Good Luck !!! Wayne
Old 04-22-2014, 02:37 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by wgood
You can use usb flash drive (wav--mp3 files ) I used a Nano IPOD using the headphone jack ---to the mini jack Also you can use a potable CD player again head phone jack I have SD cards but haven't used them yet So my guess is buy a portable CD player ( get a friend or relative to look for one off or ebay ) Get one that has a dc charger and one that can run on batteries Good Luck !!! Wayne
Totally unnecessary

Buy an SD card (16GB is probably large enough) For $10 and transfer your mp3s onto it. If you have iTunes installed on your computer, you can create playlists too. Shuffle content, search songs, etc. without needing to connect anything other than the SD card...

(BTW, if you insist on using your iPod, you do know you can connect to one of the USB ports and control it from the Infotainment screen, yes?)
Old 04-22-2014, 05:10 PM
pk2401
Safety Car

Received 212 Likes on 102 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Is there a reason why a hard drive was not installed within the infotainment system. Would make life a lot easier.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:11 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pk2401
Is there a reason why a hard drive was not installed within the infotainment system. Would make life a lot easier.
What advantage would that give over a USB stick or SD card?

(I can't think of a single one)
Old 04-22-2014, 05:25 PM
pk2401
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by KenHorse

Don't have a C7 (hopefully at least not yet), so I'm not sure if these functions are available:
1-Playlists
2-Random playback
3-Album art
Old 04-22-2014, 05:26 PM
Mecholova
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse

Not sure if it's an advantage or disadvantage for those with little restraint but a hard drive would open up the ability to purchase songs as you hear them, allow you to download songs from friends sd/usbs/phones and offers larger storage (though I haven't used more than 7gigs myself)

Also could allow for additional apps and playback software. (Though that would be a leap)
Old 04-22-2014, 05:28 PM
Mecholova
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pk2401

Don't have a C7 (hopefully at least not yet), so I'm not sure if these functions are available:
1-Playlists
2-Random playback
3-Album art
All 3 are available now. You just need to create and import them from your PC or Mac

Shuffle is there. Just hit the Media button then pick either album (if you want just those songs) Artist (for just that artists songs) or songs (if you want everything you have), press the menu button and select shuffle on

Last edited by Mecholova; 04-22-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:53 PM
pk2401
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by Mecholova
All 3 are available now. You just need to create and import them from your PC or Mac

Shuffle is there. Just hit the Media button then pick either album (if you want just those songs) Artist (for just that artists songs) or songs (if you want everything you have), press the menu button and select shuffle on
Thanks for the info, good to know.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:59 PM
c5eddiem
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bee attack
Kenhorse, I guess your computer has a sd slot for do the transfer?
Bee attack,

You can get one of these or something like it. It plugs into your PC's USB port and accepts SD cards.

This one is from Best Buy, but if you walk into Walmart, Target, etc. with this pic, they will have something like it similarly priced.

Enjoy your Vette,
Ed
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2014, 06:08 PM
c5eddiem
Racer

Originally Posted by Nicky43
Are you saying we can just copy a CD to a PC (by copy all CD files) then move that exact copy of files to a mem stick and it will play in the vet?
Nicky43,

Google "CDEX".
Download the program, it's free.
Once installed on your PC, click on CDDB tab at top
Select "Read from remote Freedb"

Then, for each CD you have:
Insert CD into your PC
Select all tracks listed. (highlight them)
On the right side of the screen there is a button that says "Convert Wav file(s) to Compress Audio File(s), click it.

3 or 4 minutes later, you will have the whole CD in a Folder on your PC ready to be copied to SD or USB stick.

It IS REALLY EASY and will give you each CD in a separate folder ready to go.

Enjoy your Vette,
Ed
Old 04-22-2014, 06:11 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bee attack
Kenhorse, I guess your computer has a sd slot for do the transfer?
Yes I do but c5eddiem's post is a good way to deal with a lack of one on your computer.

SD card is the way to go in the C7 IMHO. Doesn't take up a USB port and there's next to nothing sticking out of the socket to have something snap it off
Old 04-22-2014, 06:12 PM
c5eddiem
Racer

Just for the record,

The issue I have is that there are menu choices for Audiobook and Podcast, which I use a lot.

BUT, Audiobooks and Podcasts stored on SD or USB stick will not be listed in the categories provided on the menu.

IF you have an iPOD/iPHONE/iPAD hooked up, they WILL show Audiobooks and Podcasts in the appropriate menu.

Should work for USB/SD - no help from Chevy Customer Support - they are trying, but no response yet!

Ed
Old 04-22-2014, 06:15 PM
c5eddiem
Racer

Or, you could buy a Sandisk Cruzer Fit in sizes up to 64G. They don't stick out except for the little black tab on the end. I'm using them, work great! It is pictured here in its protective rubber sleeve.
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2014, 06:43 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by c5eddiem
Or, you could buy a Sandisk Cruzer Fit in sizes up to 64G. They don't stick out except for the little black tab on the end. I'm using them, work great! It is pictured here in its protective rubber sleeve.
Did you have to reformat that SanDisk? Many people have had problems with the SanDisk proprietary software the company puts on all their disks and drives.

Last edited by fdxpilot; 04-22-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:20 PM
c5eddiem
Racer

Fdxpilot,

I don't know if I have to, but I usually just format any new USB stick I buy from any company to a blank FAT32 format.

I just figure that there may or may not be stuff that is on there that may cause an issue down the road. Sandisk does have some password stuff and I'm afraid I'll activate it accidentally then forget the password. so, I just format a new disk to complete blankness.

Enjoy your Vette,
Ed

ps. I've also seen those little sticks at Staples under their store brand name "Relay", and Walmart had the same thing by Memorex on sale a while back with colored tabs - green, pink, blue. I particularly like tham in the center console slots because a long stick might get pushed the wrong way and get damaged or damage the connector receptacle in the car.

Last edited by c5eddiem; 04-22-2014 at 07:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Mp3, SD ?????