Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 08:44 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

From a Cobra (replica) owner at work:

"That's the best looking Corvette I've ever seen. They really got that one right. I've never been a Corvette fan, but I'd like to have one of those."

I think this was the intention of the redesign.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:56 AM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by batmoble
People may be drawn to it because it's within reach of almost everyone if they're willing to work / sacrifice for it. They can see themselves owning one.
Within reach of almost everyone? Hardly agree when data says that a huge majority of people go into retirement with less than $50K in assets and a shocking number have less than $10K.

It’s a very high performance car that is a bargain compared with comparable other models. Don
Old 05-01-2014, 10:05 AM
Diver Down
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by arcticblast
From a Cobra (replica) owner at work:

"That's the best looking Corvette I've ever seen. They really got that one right. I've never been a Corvette fan, but I'd like to have one of those."

I think this was the intention of the redesign.
That quote is exactly how I feel. I've never liked Corvettes. I didn't like the round lights, body styling and interior.

Now I own one. The Stingray is insanely beautiful, inside and out. It's enough to turn a Corvette critic into a buyer. Like me.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:15 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
A Ferrari is more like "I like it but I could NEVER afford one."

A Vette is more like "I like it and I think I could actually afford one."
And that really sums it up. You can dream about a car all day. Or you can drive a car all day.

I'll take driving over dreaming anyday. When the day comes that I can afford a new Ferrari.. then I might perhaps get more excited about them.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:22 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Diver Down
That quote is exactly how I feel. I've never liked Corvettes. I didn't like the round lights, body styling and interior.

Now I own one. The Stingray is insanely beautiful, inside and out. It's enough to turn a Corvette critic into a buyer. Like me.

C5 also was/is beautiful, in my opinion. C6 was a little too much like a generic car from the movie "Cars." C7 is striking.

BTW, responding to the comments about gas station reception of C7s, there are 1000 new Chinese foreign students in my university community, and they have got a lot of money. (This is not terrible, since it's our money coming back to the US from China.) They are driving really expensive cars, pretty much BMWs to start, but there are Lamborghinis and Maseratis also. Guys and gals at my gas station agree with me that the one guy who bought a white C7 Z51 got by far the best deal.

Last edited by fsvoboda; 05-01-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:34 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by W88fixer
Within reach of almost everyone? Hardly agree when data says that a huge majority of people go into retirement with less than $50K in assets and a shocking number have less than $10K.

It’s a very high performance car that is a bargain compared with comparable other models. Don
You are missing his point. Just because someone has managed their money poorly does not mean they couldn't afford things if they were more responsible. If I gave someone a million dollars and they spend $1.1 million they would still be in debt.

What he said was that the Corvette is priced such that anybody willing to work enough or sacrifice enough, should be able to afford.. and thats true. It may not be a brand new Stingray that stickers at $53k.. but chances are the average consumer could afford one that's a few years old.

I purchased my '07 Coupe three years ago for $25k. With no money down the payments are $390 a month. And while it will be a 4-5 years before used Stingrays are selling for $25k, you could cut grass in a neighborhood to earn the $390 a month to afford one. Its just a matter of how focused you are & how badly you want one.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:47 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
You are missing his point. Just because someone has managed their money poorly does not mean they couldn't afford things if they were more responsible. If I gave someone a million dollars and they spend $1.1 million they would still be in debt.

What he said was that the Corvette is priced such that anybody willing to work enough or sacrifice enough, should be able to afford.. and thats true. It may not be a brand new Stingray that stickers at $53k.. but chances are the average consumer could afford one that's a few years old.

I purchased my '07 Coupe three years ago for $25k. With no money down the payments are $390 a month. And while it will be a 4-5 years before used Stingrays are selling for $25k, you could cut grass in a neighborhood to earn the $390 a month to afford one. Its just a matter of how focused you are & how badly you want one.
There are quite a few people misfortunate enough never to be able to afford a Vette, but there also are many who can, or who could have done so with wise money management. It's within the realm of possibility for many.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:55 AM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,588 Likes on 1,649 Posts

I'm still waiting for my convertible to arrive. When it finally arrives, I hope to get just a little of the same attention the coupes are so obviously receiving....
Old 05-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,483 Posts

A better compliment would have been if someone came up to a Ferrari owner and asked "is that the new Vette"?
Old 05-01-2014, 11:18 AM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

The guy who organizes a local autocross, who can easily afford any car he wants, went out and ordered a Z06 the day after riding with me on the course.

That says a lot.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:38 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
LOL.....it's OK, the first thing out of my mouth when I first saw the C7 was, "This looks just like an F12 Berlinetta."
That was precisely my first reaction too.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:38 AM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

About an hour after the transporter from Kerbeck unloaded my crystal red vert in front of my house (LA area) in February, my wife and I took the dogs and went to lunch at a place where we could eat outside. As I parked the C7, a lady sitting at a table across the street started yelling at me about the car. As we sat down at the table next to her and the guy she was with, she asked "Are you in the entertainment industry?"
Old 05-01-2014, 01:54 PM
Horsefly
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Very Cool

Driving down the road shortly after I got mine, I met an oncoming Lambo. The guy flashed his lights at me and gave me a thumbs up.

A week later, I'm driving in the left lane on a busy Intersate Hwy in San Antonio. Running about 70mph in a 60mph zone. A city policeman in a police car passes me on my right, gives me a big smile while nodding his head then gives me a

Thought that was pretty cool.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:08 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverblue
I'm still waiting for my convertible to arrive. When it finally arrives, I hope to get just a little of the same attention the coupes are so obviously receiving....
Believe me, you'll get all the attention you can handle. My crystal red vert has been bombarded with compliments since the day it arrived (Feb 13).
Old 05-01-2014, 05:36 PM
1hawk
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best compliment to date

Saturday our club caravan to the Mustang Club of Tampa,

Nice 200 cars, Mustangs, Chevelles, Ford Thunderbirds, Buick, Pontiacs, Plymouths and Corvettes.
1st place went to a Mustang, 2nd place to me, 3rd place to a member in our club & so on.
Not bad for a non Corvette show.

Save the Wave
Old 05-01-2014, 06:24 PM
aforand
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My best one was this guy pulls along side of me after following me (car is in Sport mode) and says "Wow man you need to follow yourself so you can hear how great that stock exhaust sounds"!

Another one was this guy comes up to me and says wow "that is that new Stealth car right"?

Go figure!
Old 05-01-2014, 10:09 PM
Mmixer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the mall....Guy driving a Bentley says "it's the best car in the parking lot". Come to find out he owns Jokers Audio. He went on to state that "he wouldn't change a thing on the car." I just might have to do business with this guy.

Get notified of new replies

To Best compliment to date

Old 05-01-2014, 10:35 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,650 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by bmanahan
I have had a lot of complement on my Stingray over the past 7 months, but today's was the best.

As park to drop off my son at school, his best friend walks up to the car and says "no fair, you get to go to school every day in a Ferrari".
Two people in one day told me they thought my car was a Ferrari...a 599 to be exact! I'll take that compliment any day of the week!
Old 05-01-2014, 10:48 PM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverblue
Don't worry you'll get plenty if not more, especially when the top is down. At least we do.

Last edited by GTFD2; 05-01-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:18 PM
c6rod
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Compliments

My black C7 draws many lookers frequently when parked and everyday I get thumbs up from young kids to old timers.
The ones that I talk to usually assume it is a $100K car and are amazed when I tell them the actual cost.
My cousin, who has owned many new Ferraris and now has a F12 on order ($400K +), took mine for a test drive and was surprised and impressed with the style, drivability and performance. His comment was, "maybe I should get a couple of these and not get the F12 and save lots of $". I talked him out of it because if he gets the F12 I will get to drive it.

Quick Reply: Best compliment to date