Sponsored by:

Non-NPP to NPP Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 08:12 PM
CyberMurdered
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non-NPP to NPP Exhaust

Question, I ordered my C7 without NPP exhaust as I am going to an Akrapovic as soon as they come out. However, Akra telling me they are 6 months out, I cant deal with a stock exhaust sound for much longer. So, a friend of mine took off his NPP and will give it to me but, I'm not sure if the wiring and/or plumbing is on my car, considering it was ordered without? Does anyone know if I did install the NPP is it plug and play or is their additional wiring/plumbing that needs to be done as well? If so, it's probably not worth the trouble.

Advice needed from the experts, please...

Thanks
Old 09-07-2014, 08:19 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

It's a huge PITA.....nothing like the C6.

Read this then head over to the C7 Tech Forum and talk to these guys. I don't know if it's been solved yet:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-npp-help.html
Old 09-07-2014, 08:29 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Hasnt been solved. I did it on mine. Since we dont have the hookups for the valves, they stay open all the time. Sounds better..
Old 09-07-2014, 08:43 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

The NPP exhaust is not plug and play as far as being able to adjust the sound from inside the car.

You can install the exhaust and the valves just stay open thus giving you a throatier sound.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:48 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

This wasn't easily accomplished on the C6 and the complexity of the C7 control strategy for the NPP exhaust is ten times more complicated than on the C6.

If your car didn't come from the factory with NPP, the best you can currently do is to install the exhaust and it will leave the valves open all the time making your exhaust louder and more aggressive sounding than stock non-NPP.

You are missing the wiring harness to provide system power to actuate the valves (no longer vacuum actuated). You are missing all of the software calibrations to trigger the operation of the valves in their different modes for each of the driver mode selections.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:02 PM
CyberMurdered
Heel & Toe

Thanks everyone... Quite frankly, I'm ok with leaving them open. As I understand it, my friends NPP exhaust was cut to accept his Corsa exhaust. So, I'm assuming there would need to be some pipe added? Just wondering if worth the hassle for 6 months of painful, annoying and emasculating Oldsmobile sounding car? Thoughts from all are welcome... Thank you
Old 09-07-2014, 09:09 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

NoWeeds.net will give you absolute control.

Laborsmith
Old 09-07-2014, 09:15 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by CyberMurdered
Thanks everyone... Quite frankly, I'm ok with leaving them open. As I understand it, my friends NPP exhaust was cut to accept his Corsa exhaust. So, I'm assuming there would need to be some pipe added? Just wondering if worth the hassle for 6 months of painful, annoying and emasculating Oldsmobile sounding car? Thoughts from all are welcome... Thank you
Maybe you could be a little kinder/gentler to those of us that have the...now what was it, oh yeah, "painful, annoying and emasculating Oldsmobile sounding car? "
Old 09-07-2014, 09:22 PM
CyberMurdered
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by talon90
Maybe you could be a little kinder/gentler to those of us that have the...now what was it, oh yeah, "painful, annoying and emasculating Oldsmobile sounding car? "
Oh crap - I'm sorry.... No offense but just wanted to; oh never mind, anything more I would say would just get me into deeper water... You are all so helpful and don't need any enemies... Sorry again Talon90
Old 09-07-2014, 09:34 PM
MrGeorge
Advanced

This is going to get good.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:32 AM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 479 Likes on 258 Posts

I also have the non-NPP exhaust. The car has a nice sound, but not nearly loud enough.

I would love to switch to either B&B PRT or Flowmaster, but there are issues with people throwing CELs.

The NPP could be an option, I wouldn't really care if it is open all the time.
Is welding required or would it just be unclamp the stock mufflers and clamp on the NPPs?

After I get out of this, the C7 definitely seems quiet(click on small pic to hear it).....
Ignore the wheels, this was when I first got the car before I got new Center caps and lugs and cleaned the car up.

They look better now...

Old 09-08-2014, 10:27 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by yell03
I also have the non-NPP exhaust. The car has a nice sound, but not nearly loud enough.

I would love to switch to either B&B PRT or Flowmaster, but there are issues with people throwing CELs.

The NPP could be an option, I wouldn't really care if it is open all the time.
Is welding required or would it just be unclamp the stock mufflers and clamp on the NPPs?

After I get out of this, the C7 definitely seems quiet(click on small pic to hear it).....
Ignore the wheels, this was when I first got the car before I got new Center caps and lugs and cleaned the car up.

They look better now...

no welding. unbolt the clamps, swap mufflers, rebolt clamps. The part that sux is taking off the rear fascia first.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:34 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 479 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
no welding. unbolt the clamps, swap mufflers, rebolt clamps. The part that sux is taking off the rear fascia first.
Sounds easy enough, thanks
Old 09-08-2014, 01:59 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I like my stock exhaust. When you apply power the stock system sounds ok. There is a resounding residence that occurs at rapidly applied partial power that sounds neat. This sound is further enhanced when more power is smoothly applied. We never hear much about the stock system, most here never heard it or have written it off as anemic. Doesn't sound at all like my 1961 Oldsmobile.

Last edited by Larry/car; 09-08-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:04 PM
oyealiz
Team Owner

Received 232 Likes on 119 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'16

Get notified of new replies

To Non-NPP to NPP Exhaust

Quick Reply: Non-NPP to NPP Exhaust