Sponsored by:

Issues with Gray Interior

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 12:04 PM
StansFlash
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with Gray Interior

I recently purchased a '15 Red Tint Coat convertible with Gray interior. I chose the gray interior color based solely on the pictures available on the Chevrolet 'build your car' website. To my surprise, the actual gray color was what I would consider to be Light Gray. The gray in the Chevy website pictures showed what could best be described as a Charcoal Gray. I definitely wanted a darker interior and only picked the darker gray based on the nice two-tone contrast appearance with the black dashboard, steering wheel and other interior items.

I have raised the issue with Chevy and am now in the process of resolution. My question to others is if anyone has had a similar experience and if so, what are my options for resolutions.

Thanks so much.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:07 PM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Received 207 Likes on 137 Posts

See if a member would want to trade or you could have it painted by an Interior shop.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:09 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

The build your own site is notoriously "off" on almost all colors, especially interiors. Even if it was dead on there is no reason that your computer renders colors the same way. Buying without seeing in person is a crap shoot unless you are buying black. I don't see that GM or the dealer will do anything for you...
Old 11-16-2014, 12:10 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 506 Posts
Tech Contributor

Why did you take delivery?
Old 11-16-2014, 12:17 PM
StansFlash
3rd Gear

Default Delivery

Originally Posted by Glen e
Why did you take delivery?
It was a museum delivery and I didn't want to ruin the experience for my family.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:18 PM
StansFlash
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by BigJoe
The build your own site is notoriously "off" on almost all colors, especially interiors. Even if it was dead on there is no reason that your computer renders colors the same way. Buying without seeing in person is a crap shoot unless you are buying black. I don't see that GM or the dealer will do anything for you...
Agreed, but there are none in inventory to view.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:19 PM
markk1
Racer

I was very fortunate in one way. I saw the gray interior exactly as you did and included that in my order (2LT Z-51 coupe with Crystal Red Metallic). My first order was at 1100 when I found out through this forum how light the gray was from photos submitted by members. I called the dealer in a panic asking to change the color. Fortunately at the time the order had gone nowhere, so I was able to make the change to black. Another + for the forum and doing homework here!!

I said something to the dealer at the time I made the change that they should make GM aware that the colors online and in their brochures were misleading and that they should give each dealer a color swatch kit that prospective buyers could use for selection. I guess that went as far as the salesman's ears....
Old 11-16-2014, 12:24 PM
Zajac
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Grey interior

As I looked at different interiors I was also thinking grey would be a good choice. I especially like the grey carpet that came with the grey interior as it provided a nice contrast to the other black/dark charcoal interior trim.
However, I did the time to search out as many on line photos as I could of C7s with grey interior. The shade of grey varied depending on the light or shadow or camera or camera angle.

I ended up choosing jet black as the grey seemed too light in my opinion.

However, I did find that a complaint to GM (this was for some other reason than interior color) resulted in no change because I had "accepted delivery" of the car. It appears that I needed to have "declined delivery" based on my complaint.

It seems that you should not have "accepted delivery" of he car for the reason that the grey interior was too light compared to photos on the GM website.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:28 PM
markk1
Racer

Originally Posted by Zajac
As I looked at different interiors I was also thinking grey would be a good choice. I especially like the grey carpet that came with the grey interior as it provided a nice contrast to the other black/dark charcoal interior trim.
However, I did the time to search out as many on line photos as I could of C7s with grey interior. The shade of grey varied depending on the light or shadow or camera or camera angle.

I ended up choosing jet black as the grey seemed too light in my opinion.

However, I did find that a complaint to GM (this was for some other reason than interior color) resulted in no change because I had "accepted delivery" of the car. It appears that I needed to have "declined delivery" based on my complaint.

It seems that you should not have "accepted delivery" of he car for the reason that the grey interior was too light compared to photos on the GM website.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:36 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

Order some black lloyds mats and enjoy the contrast. I would not do any type of aftermarket painting/dying of the interior. OEM seat covers will also be available sooner or later if you don't want the gray seats.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:39 PM
markk1
Racer

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp
Order some black lloyds mats and enjoy the contrast. I would not do any type of aftermarket painting/dying of the interior. OEM seat covers will also be available sooner or later if you don't want the gray seats.
Do the above when you desire, but just put the gas pedal firmly down and you will quickly forget the interior color .... Enjoy the ride!!
Old 11-16-2014, 12:42 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,135 Likes on 1,831 Posts

Can't imagine the feeling you got seeing it first,then outside in the sun
Sucks to read a story like that.I would have snapped! Sad to say guy you did a bobo without researching.It was discussed here a ton.
People like it here,people don't.The carpet color ruins it.
Then again with certain ext. colors it's ok.
If your stuck with it? Members here use black mats (mentioned above) or change the carpet?

Last edited by DALE#3; 11-16-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:44 PM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

There are many photos available on this forum of what the gray interior really looks like. I remember several from the Carlisle show this summer that show it looking almost white. Sorry you didn't see these.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:23 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by StansFlash
....... I have raised the issue with Chevy and am now in the process of resolution............
Aw, just sit tight. I'm sure that GM will just tell you to return the Car. And, pick a new interior color that you think will look better with the Car.

But, seriously, next time you spend 65K for a Car. Maybe you should actually go to a dealer and look at the various color combos before you order. I wouldn't order a set of blinds for a window over the internet without looking at the color in person. But, thats just me, I guess.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:30 PM
Aceman
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I think the grey interior should of had a black carpet - not sure how tough it is to swap the carpet but it may help if it were black...
Old 11-16-2014, 01:46 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,948 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by 89L98
Aw, just sit tight. I'm sure that GM will just tell you to return the Car. And, pick a new interior color that you think will look better with the Car.

But, seriously, next time you spend 65K for a Car. Maybe you should actually go to a dealer and look at the various color combos before you order. I wouldn't order a set of blinds for a window over the internet without looking at the color in person. But, thats just me, I guess.
I read you about none in your area, altho it's hard to tell just what area you are talking about. Still, it's your dollars and you chose to believe the equivalent of a "paint chip" ---at that, one that is online where there is at least one more complication to make it off-color.

I am sorry you didn't get what you thought it was going to be. For that reason alone, it would have been worth your while to go somewhere, even a few hundred miles away, to view a real car with the interior for $60K +/- worth of spending.

Several years ago, I didn't get a two-tone interior because there were no examples anywhere (new interior colors) at the time I was ordering (first week orders accepted). When I saw it, I wish I had gotten it.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:53 PM
Woody
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
First St Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Lifetime Member

There are hundreds of pictures here and the net. The gray is not new for 15. When you're dropping 60K for a car, it's worth doing some research before doing so.

Get notified of new replies

To Issues with Gray Interior

Old 11-16-2014, 02:11 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

I had the same issue so I looked at 100's of Kalahari photos from other sources on different monitors.

First, I would suggest calibrating your monitor with at least something like http://www.datacolor.com/. Then, go to Google and search for "Corvette Stingray gray interior". Also look at this thread https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-threads.html which will have a lot of exterior/interior color combinations.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:21 PM
LincolnUSA
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The same argument can be made on how the Adrenaline Red pictures look on the Chevy site. Their pics make the color look like a dark red, blood red or maroon color. In reality the Adrenaline Red is very bright.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:27 PM
johnnyvettes
CHICAGO CREW !
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: We are living in a Bazzaro World everything is upside down half ass backwards !
Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12

on a really hot sunny day you will be happy with the light interior . had the light gray in my c5 loved it , I know the c7s gray is lighter

Quick Reply: Issues with Gray Interior