Sponsored by:

2016 C7 Changes

Old 11-24-2014, 12:58 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
Default 2016 C7 Changes

I am brand new to the forum but I am having a hard time finding information on what might change on a 2016 C7 vs the 2015, everything that comes up for a 2016 is information about the Z06.

Does anyone have any info about what could change? Since the alpha platform Camaro is supposed to be 2016 MY could they change the engine in the Corvette? Or put the Camaro at 445 hp or something? Would be weird to only see a ~10hp bump with an all new platform.

Any other new options planned? I am planning to buy a C7 in the next couple months but if there is a reason to wait for a '16 I think I will.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:02 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

You're having a hard time finding info because GM hasn't said anything about the 2016 model year. I doubt much will change from the '15, but time will tell.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 11-24-2014, 01:08 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Steve_R
You're having a hard time finding info because GM hasn't said anything about the 2016 model year. I doubt much will change from the '15, but time will tell.

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the reply! I just find it hard to believe they will drop the new Camaro platform in 2016 and not use the same motor the Vette has now, and I also don't think they will let the hp number be the same on both cars. Especially not with how light I anticipate the Camaro to be.

Since this is already a n00b thread I will ask another question:

Do all the C7 Vettes have that **** that selects from track to sport to touring etc mode? I thought all Z51 cars were magnetic ride but apparently that isn't the case.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:08 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

My best guess on 2016 info is that it will begin to show up sometime in March, you are only into the 2015 my a few months. I would not look for much change in the '16. I waited for the '15 as the 8A was coming up and there was plenty of notice on that. Get the '15 you will be happy.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:12 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by rcooper
My best guess on 2016 info is that it will begin to show up sometime in March, you are only into the 2015 my a few months. I would not look for much change in the '16. I waited for the '15 as the 8A was coming up and there was plenty of notice on that. Get the '15 you will be happy.
The thing is I have to sell my Mustang first, and it won't be paid off until next month or maybe early January. It's also 900hp and somewhat modified so I can't trade it in, I will have to wait for the right buyer to come along which could take time.

Realistically I wouldn't be ready until the beginning of February I think, so at that point I thought it might make more sense to wait for the '16.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:28 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,066 Likes on 6,168 Posts

Originally Posted by 10mm_
Thanks for the reply! I just find it hard to believe they will drop the new Camaro platform in 2016 and not use the same motor the Vette has now, and I also don't think they will let the hp number be the same on both cars. Especially not with how light I anticipate the Camaro to be.

Do all the C7 Vettes have that **** that selects from track to sport to touring etc mode? I thought all Z51 cars were magnetic ride but apparently that isn't the case.

Yes, all C7's have the drive mode selection. What it does depends on which options you have/don't have. MSRC is optional and only available on Z51.

The thing is I have to sell my Mustang first, and it won't be paid off until next month or maybe early January. It's also 900hp and somewhat modified so I can't trade it in, I will have to wait for the right buyer to come along which could take time.

Realistically I wouldn't be ready until the beginning of February I think, so at that point I thought it might make more sense to wait for the '16.

2016's won't start hitting the streets until September 2015.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:31 PM
Algiers
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They all have the **** to adjust the between the driving modes but it only affects the shocks if you have the magnetic ride. On cars without mag ride, you can alter the traction control, steering responsiveness, exhaust (if you have NPP), throttle response, etc but the actual ride won't change.

It is an option that you have to have Z51 to get but it doesn't automatically come with Z51. For what it's worth, I have it and really enjoy it. You can dramatically tell a difference between the settings. Do a search on this and you'll see tons of threads on it. Search MSRC, mag ride etc.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:31 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Driver Mode Control (note that Exhaust Mode should also say (if equipped)):
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2014, 01:38 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Great chart, thank you.

So they (Z51's) don't all have the dual mode exhaust?

Here is what I am thinking: White paint, Z51, Automatic, black wheels. I was going to go 1LT because I don't really need interior options but I for sure want the dual mode exhaust and I am deciding on the PDR.

I have GMS pricing so that will help but I don't want my payment to be crazy because I bought options I don't need. I like the body colored roof panel, and I like the base seats the best.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:39 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Yes, all C7's have the drive mode selection. What it does depends on which options you have/don't have. MSRC is optional and only available on Z51.

2016's won't start hitting the streets until September 2015.
Good point, there will have to be significant changes I think for me to wait that long. Hopefully details come out in March and I can make my mind up whether to get a 15 then or wait for a 16.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:44 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Great chart, thank you.

Here is what I am thinking: White paint, Z51, Automatic, black wheels. I was going to go 1LT because I don't really need interior options but I for sure want the dual mode exhaust and I am deciding on the PDR.

I have GMS pricing so that will help but I don't want my payment to be crazy because I bought options I don't need. I like the body colored roof panel, and I like the base seats the best.

For 2015 the Dual Mode Exhaust (NPP) comes with Z51. It is an option on non-Z51. For 2014 it was an option on both.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:44 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Ok three more questions.

What is the difference between sport and track exhaust mode? I just revved it up at the dealer but it was louder in both modes. I didn't think there was a difference but I wasn't fooling with it too long.

What is the suspension like on a non MSR Z51? Is it closer to the tour sport or track of the MSR settings or something different altogether?

Does the launch control work with an auto? Can it two step and then engage when you let off the brake or something?
Old 11-24-2014, 01:45 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

For 2015 the Dual Mode Exhaust (NPP) comes with Z51. It is an option on non-Z51. For 2014 it was an option on both.
Ahh ok that was the source of the confusion. Thank you so much.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:58 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Ok three more questions.

What is the difference between sport and track exhaust mode? I just revved it up at the dealer but it was louder in both modes. I didn't think there was a difference but I wasn't fooling with it too long.

What is the suspension like on a non MSR Z51? Is it closer to the tour sport or track of the MSR settings or something different altogether?

Does the launch control work with an auto? Can it two step and then engage when you let off the brake or something?

Here is the description of Launch Control for an automatic from the Owners Manual:

Automatic Transmissions
. The brake pedal must be firmly
pressed to the floor, equivalent
to a panic brake event.
. The accelerator pedal is rapidly
applied to wide open throttle. (If
the vehicle rolls due to wide
open throttle, release the
throttle, press the brake pedal
more firmly, and re-apply the
accelerator to wide open
throttle.)
The Launch Control feature will
initially limit engine speed as the
driver rapidly applies the accelerator
pedal to wide open throttle. Allow
the engine rpm to stabilize.
A smooth, quick release of the
brake pedal, while maintaining the
fully pressed accelerator pedal, will
manage wheel slip.

I haven't driven a non-MSRC Z51, so I can't tell you how the suspension compares to the MSRC equipped version.

I keep my "Sound Management" turned off so it stays open most of the time (under some conditions it will close the valves). So, it is the same to me in all modes (never used ECO mode).
Old 11-24-2014, 02:00 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I still think GM will bring another model in between the base Stingray with or without the Z51 package and the new Z06. Somewhere in around 550 HP. Some say Grand Sport, however they might call it something else. Whether (if) that happens in 2016 or later is not known. Perhaps they are waiting for the mid-engine Zora.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:09 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Here is the description of Launch Control for an automatic from the Owners Manual:

Automatic Transmissions
. The brake pedal must be firmly
pressed to the floor, equivalent
to a panic brake event.
. The accelerator pedal is rapidly
applied to wide open throttle. (If
the vehicle rolls due to wide
open throttle, release the
throttle, press the brake pedal
more firmly, and re-apply the
accelerator to wide open
throttle.)
The Launch Control feature will
initially limit engine speed as the
driver rapidly applies the accelerator
pedal to wide open throttle. Allow
the engine rpm to stabilize.
A smooth, quick release of the
brake pedal, while maintaining the
fully pressed accelerator pedal, will
manage wheel slip.

I haven't driven a non-MSRC Z51, so I can't tell you how the suspension compares to the MSRC equipped version.

I keep my "Sound Management" turned off so it stays open most of the time (under some conditions it will close the valves). So, it is the same to me in all modes (never used ECO mode).
Ok sweet, so it does work. I plan to leave my stock (warranty) for awhile but of course I will run it at the local drag strip so I am glad it has that.

This will be my daily driver so I am VERY excited to have exhaust options at the touch of a button.

Thanks again for all the replies.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:12 PM
Algiers
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great chart, thank you.

Another inexpensive option you might consider is the TTV. It adds the spoiler and mirrors painted Carbon Flash. I personally think it looks great on white ones with black rims.

I got the Nav and PDR but seldom use it. I was pretty excited about it but the Nav isn't exactly spectacular and the PDR so far hasn't gotten much use. That is the only option that I got that I regret but some people seem to really like it.

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 C7 Changes

Old 11-24-2014, 06:54 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Default 2016

I have it on good authority that the Monroney sticker will change on the 2016 Corvette.
It will show an increase in the prices.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:48 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
I have it on good authority that the Monroney sticker will change on the 2016 Corvette.
It will show an increase in the prices.
Interesting.

I'm probably going to get a 15 if I can get my car sold soon. Not many people want a 900 hp coyote lol.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:16 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

The best time for you to make the decision between a 2015 or a 2016 will be the 3rd week of April. Drive over to Bowling Green and look at the 2016's on display April 23rd or 24th or 25th at the NCM Bash. You can attend seminars where they explain every little change for 2016.

- if none of the 2016 changes are important to you you'll still have time to order a 2015 or just choose one from stock at one of the big Forum dealers that honors GMS.

- if you decide to wait for the 2016 improvements you should be able to place an order in May or June.

Concerning the new Camaro, they usually get the new engine a year or two after the Corvette but not the full Corvette horsepower. Your horsepower estimate sounds about right, probably around 440 to 450 horsepower.

Last edited by ZL-1; 11-24-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 C7 Changes