Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are the seats too narrow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 07:51 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

For the guy adjusting seat bottom boosters on his 2lt z51 that is a figment of your imagination.
z51vett
Doug
2015 Z512lt
Torch red
Old 01-12-2015, 07:38 PM
sl33p3r15
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I just thought I would follow up, since I started this...

Saturday, I took the beast on a 350 mile road trip (which was awesome, even with the on & off rain). After being in the car all day, and tweaking the seat settings, I can now say that the seats are not as bad as I had initially thought. I got in it today to take a buddy home and found myself thinking that the seats felt pretty good. In fact, my wife commented at how comfortable she thinks the passenger seat is.

Either the seats are getting better for me, or I am in denial. Either way, I am happy.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:39 PM
clyjr
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, i posted in one of the other threads that i agree the seats are less roomy. Now i saw a video of the improvements in the seats and one of the main things they pointed out was that the frame was much sturdier and doesnt flex as much if any. Im thinking this may be the main difference for those that find the c7 uncomfortable. Makes sense to me, my fat *** flexed the c6 seat so it was more comfortable, now the c7 doesnt flex so it feels smaller...
Old 02-12-2015, 09:01 PM
Dooce
Racer

Originally Posted by sl33p3r15
I just picked up a 2015 Z51 this past weekend. I love it, but find that the seat bottom feels just a little too narrow for my rear end. it jabs me a little in the side of the legs.
OK, ignoring all the BS in this thread, it's pretty clear that the seat fits some just fine but not others. I'm one of the others. At 6'1", 175lbs I'm not fat, either.

But during a 1600 mile trip the bottom left bolster began to really aggravate my thigh. Made it so sore it was hard to get comfortable at all.

**Has anyone found a solution for this?**

This forum used to be a friendly place. So can we stick to the topic?
Old 02-12-2015, 10:23 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Dooce
But during a 1600 mile trip the bottom left bolster began to really aggravate my thigh. Made it so sore it was hard to get comfortable at all.

I drive 45,000 miles a year as a sales rep. No matter which Vette I'm in or my minivan ..... the shoes come off, I set the cruise control and I pull my feet back to the front of the seat. It lifts my thighs up. It's just another driving position that works for me.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:46 PM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lggque
I thought the C7 seats were made by Recaro?
Nope....Lear.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:08 AM
Guilty in Chicago
Instructor

CTS-V. Check out February issue of Car & Driver
Old 02-13-2015, 02:48 AM
arcticZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you guys think the C7 seats are rough you should try the CTS-V Recaros. Those bolsters line up perfectly with my outter quads.... Ouch they were brutal. Literally had to take the car back to the dealer and order one with the plane Jane base seats.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:00 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,127 Likes on 760 Posts

If the center console was not so wide you would have more room for the seats. The C-7 center arm rest is 1 inch wider than my C-6 center arm rest. The bolster on the right side of the driver's seat is jammed up against the center console. The seats do fit better after they are broken in.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:17 AM
stephen1254
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

OK, ignoring all the BS in this thread, it's pretty clear that the seat fits some just fine but not others. I'm one of the others. At 6'1", 175lbs I'm not fat, either.

Same size as you are, and I found the bottom left bolster a little uncomfortable at first. What I've done is consciously roll my left knee inwards, basically pushing my legs together. The end result of that is that my left foot rests on the dead pedal with my toes pointed a bit inward. Now, when I'm up to speed, my foot falls into that position without consciously placing it there.

That works for me. I am still tweaking the upper seat back pretty regularly, trying to find the elusive perfect setting between bolsters, lumbar, and angle. I've got the seat nearly there, but still not perfect. That indicates to me one of two things - either the seat will never be "perfect", or, just like a race car, there are so many tuning options that it's easy to tune yourself out of the race!
Old 02-13-2015, 11:03 AM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Try setting a heavy weight on that bolster while the car is parked and break it down a little! Hot Rod Mag while testing the Z06 mentioned the tight passenger compartment.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:41 AM
JohnAE455
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is Chevy's attempt to lower the average age of the vette buyer. They knew that the average age of the buyer's of previous editions was close to those qualifying Medicare. By making the seats more narrow they are attempting to weed out these people and make it so only narrow bottomed younger people will buy the cars, thus lowering the average age.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:27 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Have the same left bolster digging in issue. Moving my left foot slightly to the right (mid to right side of the dead petal) helps. The problem appears to be the angle my leg takes to the left.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:16 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

And here I thought it was me. While at the dealer yesterday I decided to take a long look at a C7 Coupe with the standard sets. At 5'9" 160 lbs while sitting in the drivers seat I noticed the seats were firmer than the C6, but the left bolster was pushed into my left thigh. So, now I await patiently to see if the seat will relax after you good folks have used them for a longer period. I understand that there are ways to move your left leg to help with the problem, but I can't sit in the same position for hours on end (road trip) without moving like I did when I wore a younger mans cloths.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:19 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,260 Likes on 6,041 Posts

6'4" 260 here... the seat break in... not an issue.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:06 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I have seen posts where the upholstery is pulled back, holes drilled in the foam of the problem area, and the upholstery returned in place. The holes in the foam (cushion...whatever) softens that area.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:09 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I find I have to pay attention to my seating position in the C7. I tend to tilt to my right hip and lean on the arm rest in my truck and if I do that in the Vette I get all kinds of negative feedback from the seats after 30 minutes. I have learned to make sure I'm not only sitting square in the seat, but that my legs are stretched out straight in front of me.

Get notified of new replies

To Are the seats too narrow?

Old 02-16-2015, 09:35 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Hate to say this because I love my Stingray, but the standard GT seats are uncomfortable for me on any trip over an hour. My left leg goes to sleep and my right ankle starts to hurt and there is no position etc that I can get comfortable in.

Pity I bought our Stingray as my retirement vehicle for me and my wife to finally take to the roads and "see the USA in our Chevrolet". Sadly it won't be in the Stingray.

This is something casual sitting doesn't uncover when your out shopping. I had super high hopes for the new seat design. They look so high tech and comfy.

FWIW I'm 62+ 5'9" @ 220 pounds, folks would describe that as "portly" and I have the usual assortment of back, knee, leg and ankle aliments stemming from military service and age.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:48 AM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Ignoring the sanctimonious ****** that think that bodies can only be defined by BMI, owners have taken some fairly drastic measures to ensure comfort in the seat bottom. For those of you with bolster/thigh discomfort, there is this solution. Be warned, this is a PERMANENT solution.

Originally Posted by Bill B 1
I drilled holes in the bolsters to soften them. haven't driven it more that 10 miles since but seems to help quite a bit. Took it into the dealer and had them pull the sat out and strip the cover back, then they let me drill the holes and they reassembled. Didn't even charge me for the labor.

the red is a towel to collect all the foam I drilled out.

right side bolster

left side bolster...the main culprit

two tiny ventilation fans and the heating pad can be seen in the seat base

driver seat removed
Owner reported later that there was no foam sagging and that the bolsters had retained their shape.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:00 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by arcticZ51
If you guys think the C7 seats are rough you should try the CTS-V Recaros. Those bolsters line up perfectly with my outter quads.... Ouch they were brutal. Literally had to take the car back to the dealer and order one with the plane Jane base seats.
Interesting. I've got a set of mid-1980s Recaro LX seats that I used in my Omni GLH and then converted to desk chairs. They are extremely firm--including the bolsters--but comfortable for hours and hours. (As in, drive 600 miles in a day with only minor stops and feel no pain.) I have heard this sort of comment about the newer Recaro and Lear seats in a lot of forums, and wonder why the manufacturers missed the boat.

(I am not a small guy. 215 lbs with a lot of the weight in my thigh muscles as I used to be a cyclist.)

I'm finding these comments very useful as I consider pulling the trigger on a C7 purchase, BTW, Thanks to all.

Quick Reply: Are the seats too narrow?