Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seagulls are the DEVIL!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 06:29 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

Hey, some of you older guys and gals, like me, remember Red Skelton. He used to do a series of jokes about Gurtrude and Hecliff, two seagulls. Gertrude asks "Hey Hecliff, have you seen the new sports car around town?" Hecliff says, "Yeah, I spotted one just this morning."
I once went to eat lunch in a restaurant, leaving the top off my C4 on a warm spring day. I came back to a pile of crap in the center of the driver's seat!
Old 03-22-2015, 08:46 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by bnall40
Most folks think blue birds sre the cutest sweetest little critters. Bluebirds of Happiness u might say? Not me! They see the approaching the vehicle driveway and launch an all out attact reminiscent of a Hitchcock movie. Flying in mass all around the car and especially fighting the windows They even follow the car into the garage and all the while whitewashing the car in bird poop in a matter of minutes
I bet they're seeing their reflection in the car/glass and they think that they're defending their territory.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:28 AM
roadsterboy
Racer

Received 259 Likes on 98 Posts

Old 03-22-2015, 10:46 AM
roadsterboy
Racer

Received 259 Likes on 98 Posts

Old 08-03-2015, 09:11 AM
jdwk
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just moved from Phoenix to Austin. I never parked under a tree in the ten years I've had my C6 in Phoenix, but in Austin it can be unavoidable.

My car got caked yesterday while my wife and I were out in her car. I washed it as soon as I got back but each crap that was hit by sunlight etched the clear.

I broke out my Meguiar's ultimate compound this morning, and it barely made a difference. My orbital is still back in Phoenix, but the ineffectiveness of my manual polishing has me very worried.

I am not exactly sure when I last waxed the car. I usually do it every three to four months depending on how much I drive it and wash it. I just pay attention to how nicely it beads.

It was still beading fine, and I used NXT2 last time. My question is, is there any product that can actually protect your paint from bird ****?

Does opticoat actually protect against it? If so, it would be worth it.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:37 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by jdwk
I just moved from Phoenix to Austin. I never parked under a tree in the ten years I've had my C6 in Phoenix, but in Austin it can be unavoidable.

My car got caked yesterday while my wife and I were out in her car. I washed it as soon as I got back but each crap that was hit by sunlight etched the clear.

I broke out my Meguiar's ultimate compound this morning, and it barely made a difference. My orbital is still back in Phoenix, but the ineffectiveness of my manual polishing has me very worried.

I am not exactly sure when I last waxed the car. I usually do it every three to four months depending on how much I drive it and wash it. I just pay attention to how nicely it beads.

It was still beading fine, and I used NXT2 last time. My question is, is there any product that can actually protect your paint from bird ****?

I don't know about Opticoat, but bird bombs seem to eat through sealant unless you can get it off with some quick detail or waterless wash spray pretty quick. For this reason, it would be a good idea to have a clear bra product installed on the roof and hood.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:52 PM
Joy c7
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 238 Posts

We have seagulls in Fort Wayne, IN Go figure, Usually hang out in Walmart parking lots.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:41 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
That sucks. Good thing you had something to clean the mess off the car right away.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:47 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 935 Likes on 489 Posts
Tech Contributor

Yes a coating will protect against bombs, but carrying a spray bottle of mixed rinseless will work almost as well. 1 oz rinseless in a windex bottle, the rest water. Use a MF as soon as you see it. Carry both in your rear cubby.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:58 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Buy this at Walmart, Kit Scratch Off ( or Out ). I have used it for years to get rid of bird poop etching. Use a mf towel and follow directions. Costs like $2.50, comes in a yellow bottle. A little elbow grease and they are gone.
I live in Austin, also, grackles can be a real pain. Good luck.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:53 PM
jdwk
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

$2.50 is super cheap. I think the ultimate compound was more than $10. I'll have to go grab some if the orbital doesn't work. Was thinking I would have to go get some 105, which is like $20.

I have a bottle of no rinse that I've been washing the cars with since I've been stuck in an apartment and detail sprays and mf towels in all my cars.

But if I'm not there to wipe it off it doesn't do me much good.

I actually got hit today while I was at lunch, and wiped it off when I got back and there was no mark. So it does take time, just was too long yesterday.

I actually drove by it and saw the clumps as we were leaving the apartment, but honestly thought they were just leaves. The piles were that big.

Quick Reply: Seagulls are the DEVIL!!!!