Sponsored by:

The best front splitter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 04:06 PM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
Half of them are there while the others you drill out and either attach with the supplied rivets or do you own thing. To be honest I'm lazy and only used the existing holes. So far its survived a large retread at 73 mph and speeds to 110 or so. Had to plasti dip it after the retread incident. It got scuffed good but didn't break. If I was gonna go really fast I'd for sure fully bolt it up.
So screws should work?
Old 07-09-2015, 04:47 PM
2HD's2vettes
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
Low price for the OEM GM Front Splitter Part # 22922352 complete with hardware which is the rivets to secure the splitter.

This is from a Corvette Forum vendor gmpartsdirect.com

They will not be undersold and will price match any competitor that is priced lower than them. They sponsor the CF and have a small banner on the right side of the screen under the category "PARTS".

They are located in Winston-Salem, NC and are the parts distribution center for Flow Automotive Group (Flow GM Auto Group) which owns several dealerships. Servie is excellent and shipping is quick.

Many of the CF members who put the spliiter on their car purchased it here.
GMparts Direct gives big discounts but is expensive on shipping. An extra 35 bucks on this part. Net lower prices elsewhere on this part.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:50 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by motomanvette
So screws should work?
There's a dozen screws/nuts holding on the front clip that you undo and redo with the splitter in place. I keep em all a little loose when I put it on so I can adjust/perfect it before I tighten it up. These will hold it on the car fine, but you're really supposed to drill additional holes and attach it with the included rivets, (which requires a rivet gun) or more screws/nuts/scrivets ect...
Old 07-09-2015, 04:55 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

So screws should work?
Not for where the rivets go - nothing to bite into. Rivets are easy - use a pop-rivet tool. If you don't know what that is please turn in your man-card.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:04 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Aren't there existing holes underneath to just screw it in?
motomanvette:

The OEM GM Front Splitter that is sold above comes pre-drilled.

When making the installation you will use about 6 of the OEM GM Washer Screws that already hold the front bumper in place. Then I drilled 5 to 6 additional holes to secure the middle of the splitter.

Instead of using the metal (aluminum rivets) supplied with the spitter, I drilled and used the 5/16th plastic scrivets that simply push in and lock down.

Some drilling is required to secure the splitter. It is an easy installation and much simplier than would be expected. Some other CF members as stated in the previous posts used a lock type fastener.

Takes about 20 to 25 minutes and can be installed by one person, but a wife, son or daughter can always lend an extra hand.

Here are the scrivets I used for the 5 to 6 extra holes.
Attached Images  
Old 07-09-2015, 05:23 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

So screws should work?
Screws will work if you are just a little creative.

Originally Posted by mksz51
Not for where the rivets go - nothing to bite into. Rivets are easy - use a pop-rivet tool. If you don't know what that is please turn in your man-card.
Yes, the same GM body screws that hold the bumper cover on, can also be used to fasten the front edge of the splitter, with the exception of the two center holes because there is no access from inside the bumper cover.

The factory screws have an unusual thread (M4.2-1.41 x 20 mm), so I used a 1 inch flat washer, and the GM U-nuts (to match the threads), and attached them to the screws from the backside of the bumper cover.. Easy to reach inside cover and put the washer and nut on.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 07-09-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:23 PM
corvettecop
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
Low price for the OEM GM Front Splitter Part # 22922352 complete with hardware which is the rivets to secure the splitter.

This is from a Corvette Forum vendor gmpartsdirect.com

They will not be undersold and will price match any competitor that is priced lower than them. They sponsor the CF and have a small banner on the right side of the screen under the category "PARTS".

They are located in Winston-Salem, NC and are the parts distribution center for Flow Automotive Group (Flow GM Auto Group) which owns several dealerships. Servie is excellent and shipping is quick.

Many of the CF members who put the spliiter on their car purchased it here.
I did the Z06 GM OEM State 1 "poverty" (love that name) splitter as well. Gmpartsdirect.com was GREAT to deal with (and I've bought from most every sponsor on this site).
FYI- I know one of the body systems engineers on the C7 program and i asked him if I really needed to drill the holes and put in the additional row of fasteners (GM supplies black rivets). He said without that row of additional fasteners, at highway speeds the splitter could act as a "cantalever" and bend backwards "a bit" at high speeds. Food for thought.

Last edited by corvettecop; 07-09-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:28 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by corvettecop
I did the Z06 GM OEM State 1 "poverty" (love that name) splitter as well. These guys were GREAT to deal with (and I've bought from most every sponsor on this site).
FYI- I know one of the body systems engineers on the C7 program and i asked him if I really needed to drill the holes and put in the additional row of fasteners (GM supplies black rivets). He said without that row of additional fasteners, at highway speeds the splitter could act as a "cantalever" and bend backwards "a bit" at high speeds. Food for thought.
Yep, you need to go ahead and attach the leading edge.
Remember the whole purpose of the splitter is to provide downforce, so over time it will start to sag.
Plus, if the leading edge sags, more likely you will drag it on something.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:11 PM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

I have the splitter on, now it's time to secure it.

Last edited by motomanvette; 07-16-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:14 PM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Got the unpainted fiber glass from Weapon X and painted it with the Bed liner spray I use, any time it get a chip all I do is touch it up and can't tell afterwards it was ever damage.

The finish appearance of the bed liner match the carbon flash finish.

Which is good, after my trip to the Dragon. It sustained a lot of small chips from the sand still on the side of the road in NC. 30 minutes after washing the car after getting home. It look brand new again.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:45 PM
CPais
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

POVERTY SPLITTER- Best name ever!!!!!
Old 07-10-2015, 01:04 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Originally Posted by newbie2vette
Got the unpainted fiber glass from Weapon X and painted it with the Bed liner spray I use, any time it get a chip all I do is touch it up and can't tell afterwards it was ever damage. The finish appearance of the bed liner match the carbon flash finish.
Which is good, after my trip to the Dragon. It sustained a lot of small chips from the sand still on the side of the road in NC. 30 minutes after washing the car after getting home. It look brand new again.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:20 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 834 Likes on 370 Posts

Are the additional holes you need to drill already in the splitter? You could use it as template to drill additional holes as needed into the facia? What is the height of the splitter?
Old 07-11-2015, 10:05 PM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Pisswilly
Are the additional holes you need to drill already in the splitter? You could use it as template to drill additional holes as needed into the facia? What is the height of the splitter?
I just attached the existing screws and added 5 up front. Just drill and screw. Test drive at about 100mph and everything is fine.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:09 PM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Jake
Here's a sample of the Weapon X splitter.
Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2015, 12:50 AM
Cheech Wizard
Le Mans Master

Location: Orlando, Florida, MY Corvette is BEST Corvette because MID-ENGINE!
Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

About the poverty splitter...would using existing screw holes + 3M tape to attach the leading edge be a valid option?
Old 07-12-2015, 01:01 AM
amphora001
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

So I finally installed the poverty splitter today. So glad I got it. I decided to put some 2x4 on the ground and have the front tires roll over it to lift it several inches, enough to line up a power drill. The bumper was really easy to drill, like going through butter. The plastic is really thin. I messed up one of the rivet, so I'm actually missing one on each side. But the rivets look like they really secure the part. Some plastic bits expands a lot and secures the thing in place. I'm pretty satisfied with this $100 part. I took it on the freeway going 80mph for about an hour going from San Francisco to San Jose and everything looked perfect.

Last edited by amphora001; 07-12-2015 at 01:03 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To The best front splitter?

Old 07-12-2015, 02:36 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cheech Wizard
About the poverty splitter...would using existing screw holes + 3M tape to attach the leading edge be a valid option?
Up to you, but I would use metal fasteners instead of relying on tape to hold on an aerodynamic part... Fasteners also easier to remove and re-useable if you need to change it.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:38 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Pisswilly
You can use the holes made into the splitter as a guide.
Height of splitter when installed still allows 6 inches of clearance.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:31 AM
kotik
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 22 Posts

Ok, im down for peverty splitter. Went to gmpartsdirect and it says the splitter is for non z51. Does anyone have a part number for the z51 optioned car?

Quick Reply: The best front splitter?