Sponsored by:

Now my Info screen doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 12:26 AM
Skidplate
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 122 Posts

Are you still under your 3 year/36k mile warranty?
Old 10-18-2017, 09:07 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

maf01: "Following advice given by a GM ambassador that I spoke to at GM customer care I brought my car into the dealership today to have the software update completed. If the update does not resolve the issue GM tells me they will let me know what my options are regardng goodwill warranty given that I have a 2014 which obviously is no longer under warranty.

I find it ridiculous that this issue has not been made into a recall given the huge number of reported issues from 2014 to present!

So the tech performed the software update and during the update the screen went blank. He waited what he thought was long enough for the update to complete and restarted the car.

This in turn killed the HMI as the uodate had not fully completed before he restarted the car. He told me the dealership will cover the replacement of the HMI but not until a new screen is installed which makes sense.

GM is telling me that I have to wait for them to recieve info internally before they can inform me around what they will do to help with this situation.

I have to park the car for the winter season by November 1st at the very latest. This entire situaion has me extremely frustrated and I feel that I will not have this issue resolved until next spring and most likely at my own expense which does not at all sit well with me.

1000+ $ to repair an issue on a car of this caliber with less tham 25000 kms on it is absolutely ridiculous if you ask me."

Like you, I went through this with my '14 C7 out of warranty by 7 months this past June. I also contacted GM and along with them and my Chevy Dealer the display screen was replaced with the HMI still good. As to coverage, I compromised and paid $150 total for the work. You should be offered some similar deal along with a new HMI.

GOOD LUCK,

P.S. You will received a remanufactured Info Screen as a replacement with your original one returned to a GM refurbish vendor to be repaired for the next C7 owner with this problem. I am happy with the fix so far. And it has a 1 year warranty for parts and labor.

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 10-18-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:12 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Mine started blanking out as well; and finally went out completely. Lucking i still had 3 weeks left on the original warranty' got it replaced free.

Dealer told me it happens; has something to do with a cable that runs to the moveable display... it becomes loose with age. Said it was due to a too-tight tie-down for the factory wire connections to the display; with use it starts to slowly unplug one of the cables. Dealer said that to this point they've only ever replaced the entire unit; never tried to reseat the connector and take tension off the cable assy.

Instructions with the replacement unit says to secure the wires in a different fashion (diagram provided) than the method the factory originally did; less tension to the connecting cables during the movement of the screen up/dn.

If it wasn't going to be a warranty repair, I know I would of tried to reseat and resecure the cable(s) going to the moveable screen.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:34 PM
madmusicltd
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I just contacted GM today and opened a case, we will see where I end up...
The following users liked this post:
VloneVett (02-18-2024)
Old 10-18-2017, 12:38 PM
madmusicltd
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
Mine started blanking out as well; and finally went out completely. Lucking i still had 3 weeks left on the original warranty' got it replaced free.

Dealer told me it happens; has something to do with a cable that runs to the moveable display... it becomes loose with age. Said it was due to a too-tight tie-down for the factory wire connections to the display; with use it starts to slowly unplug one of the cables. Dealer said that to this point they've only ever replaced the entire unit; never tried to reseat the connector and take tension off the cable assy.

Instructions with the replacement unit says to secure the wires in a different fashion (diagram provided) than the method the factory originally did; less tension to the connecting cables during the movement of the screen up/dn.

If it wasn't going to be a warranty repair, I know I would of tried to reseat and resecure the cable(s) going to the moveable screen.

I snipped the tie wrap on mine, and re-seated and wiggled the wires, it is definitely the issue, BUT it will intermittently happen afterwards. Seems it's only a matter of time for mine to go totally black?... I have not been using the up/down feature as well.
Mike Mercury (10-19-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 12:39 PM
madmusicltd
Racer

The new units seem to have a holder for the wires...
Mike Mercury (10-19-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 01:38 AM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 11-01-2017, 02:47 PM
madmusicltd
Racer

GM got back to me and I they were able to arrange a 3rd party call with my local Chevy dealer. Part was available, and new screen was installed on good will, total cost to me was $200. I did have to convince them to do so, as my issue was intermittent, and having the correct bulletin number (PIC5934c), politely mentioning that it is known failure, and that manually wiggling the wires fixes and causes this failure mode all helped, as the car is 6 months out of warranty.

Last edited by madmusicltd; 11-01-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:36 AM
maf01
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madmusicltd
GM got back to me and I they were able to arrange a 3rd party call with my local Chevy dealer. Part was available, and new screen was installed on good will, total cost to me was $200. I did have to convince them to do so, as my issue was intermittent, and having the correct bulletin number (PIC5934c), politely mentioning that it is known failure, and that manually wiggling the wires fixes and causes this failure mode all helped, as the car is 6 months out of warranty.

I am very happy to hear that they fixed your issue on good will. As I think they should for every owner who is experiencing this issue on our vehicle with such low mileage and so very short time frame out of warranty.

Funny enough before you posted that they resolved your issue on good will, GM told me they will not do anything to help me with my issue ( The same issue as yours but in an even worse state and only 4 months out of warranty when I reported the issue on October 4th)

So after seeing your post I re-escalated the issue to their executive team.

After wait from October 26th to today and leaving a few voicemail messages to the individual in the executive team that picked up my case, I finally got a call today. Apparently Mileage, Age, and number of months out of warranty are not the only factors that GM consider's when deciding to help through good will.

I asked what other factors are considered and was told that those factors are proprietary to GM (meaning they will not tell me).

I have a feeling this individual will get back to me telling me that they indeed will not do anything to help with the issue that I have been experiencing.

You know, I absolutely LOVE my 'vette. But guy's this leaves such a terrible taste in my mouth. No one seems to think anything of this issue, everyone I have spoken to at GM seems to think that the car is out of warranty, so forget that its a 90K car, forget that it only had 22,300 kilometers on it when I reported the issue, forget that its only a short 4 months out of warranty.

I'm seriously considering going to the news outlets with my story. I wonder if any of them would be interested in this. Is it just me? I mean how come I am the only person that thinks I shouldn't have to pay upwards to 1000$ to fix this issue?

I have an email written up that I have been waiting to send to Alicia Bolder-Davis (one of GM's execs) I guess I will finally send it off tonight.

What bothers about my sending this email is that the individual I spoke to from GM today told me that anything written to Alicia will end up going through their office and not directly to her. I was not too happy to hear this as I was really hoping that she would read about my experience with her own eyes.
VloneVett (02-18-2024)
Old 11-18-2022, 01:07 PM
long525CORVETTE
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Cust Svc
I got the same screen problem for my 2014 Corvette Z51; I was wondering if there is any thing you can help me with. Many thanks.
Old 02-09-2023, 04:15 PM
buzzwilder
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maf01
Hi everyone,

Mid august of this year I realized my dream of buying a 2014 3LT Z51 with magnetic ride!

I bought the car in mid August with 16,500 kilometers on it here in canada.

I absolutely love driving this incredible vehicle!

However I have to say that I'm completely blown away with the fact that at 22,300 kms my infotainment screen went blank.

It really makes me wonder about the quality of parts that GM has put into it's flagship vehicle.

Following advice given by a GM ambassador that I spoke to at GM customer care I brought my car into the dealership today to have the software update completed. If the update does not resolve the issue GM tells me they will let me know what my options are regardng goodwill warranty given that I have a 2014 which obviously is no longer under warranty.

I find it ridiculous that this issue has not been made into a recall given the huge number of reported issues from 2014 to present!

So the tech performed the software update and during the update the screen went blank. He waited what he thought was long enough for the update to complete and restarted the car.

This in turn killed the HMI as the uodate had not fully completed before he restarted the car. He told me the dealership will cover the replacement of the HMI but not until a new screen is installed which makes sense.

GM is telling me that I have to wait for them to recieve info internally before they can inform me around what they will do to help with this situation.

I have to park the car for the winter season by November 1st at the very latest. This entire situaion has me extremely frustrated and I feel that I will not have this issue resolved until next spring and most likely at my own expense which does not at all sit well with me.

1000+ $ to repair an issue on a car of this caliber with less tham 25000 kms on it is absolutely ridiculous if you ask me.

For a flagship vehicle, the warranty, the service, and customer care do not AT ALL meet up to the standrd that I would expect!
I have the same issue. I took it to a local Chevrolet dealer who confirmed that the unit is defective. They said the replacement part is no longer available and there is nothing they can do to fix it. I have owned corvettes my entire life - this one is number 12. I have never had an issue like this. I am completely blown away they they would abandon their customers like this. The car only has 22k miles on it. I was getting ready to sell the C7 and purchase a C8. Now I don't think I will ever purchase another GM product since they are just abandoning their customers like this. Shame on you GM / Chevrolet. This is a disgrace!
Old 03-10-2024, 08:35 AM
jmarkey77
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

As this is the first post that comes up when my son and I googled the same problem I thought I'd share a solution to it that's not listed here.

Under the driver's side dash (where the pedals are) is the plug, sometimes unplugging and plugging it back in solidly can solve the issue. That was the solution for me on my 2014 Z51.

In case future people find this post maybe this will help before doing expensive things to fix it.
Old 03-10-2024, 07:54 PM
Trebor
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 157 Posts

I know this is an old post, but still relevant. Is this what is referred to as the " black screen of death" ? I read if you raise and lower that screen a lot, wires in the back scrape together or something and short out. I'm afraid to use this screen ( up and down). I bought a 2014 in July ,2023.
jmarkey77 (03-12-2024)
Old 03-10-2024, 08:29 PM
HDLARRY
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Another potential fix is in this thread -
Infotainment Screen flickering cheap fix - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion
jmarkey77 (03-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 12:08 PM
jmarkey77
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Trebor
I know this is an old post, but still relevant. Is this what is referred to as the " black screen of death" ? I read if you raise and lower that screen a lot, wires in the back scrape together or something and short out. I'm afraid to use this screen ( up and down). I bought a 2014 in July ,2023.
Yes it is

Quick Reply: Now my Info screen doesn't work