Sponsored by:

Dreaded screen flickering

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 06:22 PM
Jbal
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Dreaded screen flickering

Noticed a few weeks ago some minor screen issues, but now has graduated to simply an unwatchable display, although still intermittent.
Just looking for those who have experienced this issue & the final GM resolution. My 2014 an early build (Vin 4007). Still under full factory warranty. Thank Guys! Jerry
Old 07-07-2016, 06:39 PM
Gio's C7
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 86 Posts

That's a common issue on the 14s, take it to the dealer and they will replace it.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:27 PM
rrod436
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Waiting on mine. It's backordered 1~2 weeks. My dealer knew about it and saw it first hand, the tech had already done one other. Take it to your dealer and get it fixed.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:28 PM
Jbal
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks guys!
Old 07-08-2016, 12:14 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Mine was a loose connection, no big deal, dealership fixed it. Make sure that your hazard lights switch and p.side airbag light work before you leave the dealership.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:26 AM
Twisted Swifter
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

I had the same problem just recently. Word has it that this is common on the '14s. My dealer diagnosed the problem, ordered a replacement screen, and installed it the following day. It was all covered by the factory warranty.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:58 AM
Bounty Hunter 6
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 16 Posts

In the meantime, until you can get it fixed, honk the horn when it goes black or flickers. I know, sounds silly when I heard that, too, but it clears it up temporarily. Try it, and you'll be like "Well son of a....!l

- Glen
The following users liked this post:
adriankapl (04-20-2018)
Old 07-08-2016, 12:13 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Anybody know if the factory determined a cutoff on the problem? A VIN range?
Old 07-08-2016, 01:11 PM
C6 MoneyPit
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'10, '15. '22-'23

Mine is a 2015 and I am having the same issue. The flickering will start, then sometimes go black for a few minutes, then off and on. Today it's working, but I know it will continue. I will get some video before I bother taking it in or else it will work flawlessly for the dealer LOL.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:04 PM
irpete
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine (2014 VIN # 4629) started acting up about a month ago. It started with a blank screen and then graduated to the flickering. Just when I was ready to take it in it stopped and hasn't done it any more. My warranty is up at the end of October so I will keep watching and hoping it gets worse before then. Just in case I've downloaded someone else's video and have it on my phone in case its not flickering when I take it in.

Last edited by irpete; 07-08-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:27 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Gio's C7
That's a common issue on the 14s, take it to the dealer and they will replace it.
same thing happened to my early '14 a couple of months ago. Replaced under warranty. All good now!
Old 04-20-2018, 11:35 PM
adriankapl
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Anyone knows what s causing this issue? A bunch of threads started on this topic but no solution. ( besides changing the screen).
Old 04-21-2018, 12:04 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I think it was the ribbon connector, If I remember correctly.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:06 AM
adriankapl
Instructor

Originally Posted by owc6
I think it was the ribbon connector, If I remember correctly.
Is it fixable or have to buy new unit?
Old 04-21-2018, 12:16 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

That question is above my pay grade and security clearance.

I think if the ribbon connector is bad or loose, it can be replaced or correctly connected, but there have been so many different actual issues and fixes, I couldn't say for sure. If it's the connector, I don't ever remember hearing that the whole unit needed to be replaced.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:57 AM
RCB1234
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Screen flicker work around??

2014 C7 Z51 M7 Build date 12/2013. #9496 17,500 miles.
I do not have the blue wires, FYI

While my expectations are low, here is what appears to be a fix to this point. Based on all my research there seems to be more than one issue here. Screen flicker or old style TV rolling and blank screen. Mine is the prior.

Started a couple months ago. Researched this as much as I could and it seems the software update was not always a fix and in most cases the replacement of the infotainment screen was the fix. For us out of warranty having the dealer take the dash out is more of an issue than the $895.00.

Took the car to the dealer. The service contact was very interested about the issue but had not dealt with it in the past. Left the car for brake flush and rear axle oil replacement and the Tech was to determine the best route on the screen flicker.

Of course they called and said I needed two software updates. I approved with the comment that I did not think this was the issue.

Picked the car up and the flicker continued the next day. Took a video the service contact and Tech forwarded to GM to get a determination. Came back the screen to be replaced.

In all my reading there was one member that said a horn honk would clear the flicker. My flicker was happening at all times, before startup the floating "V" that turns into the corvette wings would flicker, horn honk would clear. The flicker would happen during a drive and the horn honk would clear.

One member talked about going to the screen, settings, radio and doing a factory reset. I did this. Knocks out all radio settings and your phone pairing. From then on there has been no flicker. Three weeks now. I do understand that some members have had the problem pop up months later and this might happen but I have gone from daily flicker to no flicker for three weeks.

My questions is "did changing the infotainment screen in all the past fixes need to take place? I assume with a new screen you are now at factory settings which might or might not be taking advantage of the new software updates?? Can one just reset the screen as a fix?? Can one just get the software updates and then reset the screen for the fix?? Or does the infotainment screen have to be replaced for a 100% fix.

Time will tell and hopefully this will help someone else that is out of warranty.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:14 AM
adriankapl
Instructor

Originally Posted by RCB1234
2014 C7 Z51 M7 Build date 12/2013. #9496 17,500 miles.
I do not have the blue wires, FYI

While my expectations are low, here is what appears to be a fix to this point. Based on all my research there seems to be more than one issue here. Screen flicker or old style TV rolling and blank screen. Mine is the prior.

Started a couple months ago. Researched this as much as I could and it seems the software update was not always a fix and in most cases the replacement of the infotainment screen was the fix. For us out of warranty having the dealer take the dash out is more of an issue than the $895.00.

Took the car to the dealer. The service contact was very interested about the issue but had not dealt with it in the past. Left the car for brake flush and rear axle oil replacement and the Tech was to determine the best route on the screen flicker.

Of course they called and said I needed two software updates. I approved with the comment that I did not think this was the issue.

Picked the car up and the flicker continued the next day. Took a video the service contact and Tech forwarded to GM to get a determination. Came back the screen to be replaced.

In all my reading there was one member that said a horn honk would clear the flicker. My flicker was happening at all times, before startup the floating "V" that turns into the corvette wings would flicker, horn honk would clear. The flicker would happen during a drive and the horn honk would clear.

One member talked about going to the screen, settings, radio and doing a factory reset. I did this. Knocks out all radio settings and your phone pairing. From then on there has been no flicker. Three weeks now. I do understand that some members have had the problem pop up months later and this might happen but I have gone from daily flicker to no flicker for three weeks.

My questions is "did changing the infotainment screen in all the past fixes need to take place? I assume with a new screen you are now at factory settings which might or might not be taking advantage of the new software updates?? Can one just reset the screen as a fix?? Can one just get the software updates and then reset the screen for the fix?? Or does the infotainment screen have to be replaced for a 100% fix.

Time will tell and hopefully this will help someone else that is out of warranty.
thank you for the update. Awesome post. I am having the same exact issue. I have honked the horn and it has gone away for a couple of days. I will do the screen reset next if the problem comes up again. We will see if you need a software update.

Get notified of new replies

To Dreaded screen flickering

Old 04-25-2018, 12:01 PM
madmusicltd
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Here are some related threads, lots of good info, if you are still under warranty get it fixed soon!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ere-we-go.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...sn-t-work.html

Last edited by madmusicltd; 04-25-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:10 PM
kaufmansm
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

my screen went black last year this time on my 2016. screen was replaced the next day. I called chevy customer service and the fedex'd a screen over night to my dealer. car had 1,000 miles at the time.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:24 PM
adriankapl
Instructor

Found solution. You have to replace screen. Good part is that theirs a video online how to remove front dash and its the same steps for the screen. If anyone needs help replacing it near NYC let me know. Have done it 3 times already.

Quick Reply: Dreaded screen flickering