Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Were you not happy w/ paint quality?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 11:38 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Could op be whether related or seasonal?......I don't know much about the process....just thinking out loud
Old 07-20-2016, 11:56 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,671 Likes on 8,313 Posts

No, if you look closely enough, it's on every car with today's environmentally-friendly paints, except perhaps the very high-end, multiple 6-figure cars, which are wet-sanded and then polished after painting. However, it may be a bigger problem on non-metal, composite panels, such as the Corvette.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:04 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
No, if you look closely enough, it's on every car with today's environmentally-friendly paints, except perhaps the very high-end, multiple 6-figure cars, which are wet-sanded and then polished after painting. However, it may be a bigger problem on non-metal, composite panels, such as the Corvette.

Without getting deep into the technical and chemistry end of factory paint, of which I did in previous posts on this subject. I can tell you this, its the characteristic properties of the waterbased clear coat itself. Not and issue with the urethane basecoat, this lays down good, as the urethane basecoat is rather a thin coat, applies even and dries smooth, but adding a much thicker clear coat that is waterbase, and has additives that causes issues as it drys before it spreads, and varies on the humidity and temperature when sprayed. Also how it is sprayed. The newer paint booths that are being constructed will help but not eliminate the issue, there will be a big difference, but you still will not achieve the wet-sanded look achieved by hand rubbing the paint.

You will never get a lacquer finish like the old days, but you will never have the issues associated with lacquer neither. Not a perfect world and there is a reason great paint work cost thousands of dollars. We live in a world of environmental controls, and laws, so we need to learn to work around it and maximize the desired results.

I have accepted the factory paint, and instead of complaining, have worked on what I have. I use Pinnacle Signature Series II Carnauba Paste Wax applied by hand, and buffed by machine, but prepare the surface first with other Pinnacle products, its all developing your OWN SYSTEM to detail and polish your car with products your feel do the job for what your desire. I have found that after several coats of the carnauba was, and with the detail spray, have produced a very clean, wet looking finish, it does not eliminate peel, but certain reduces it substantially and brings out that torch red shine. I use all Pinnacle products you pay a little more but the results are much better then many of the synthetics that apply very very thin coats. I just work at it and am happy with the results.

Last edited by 1KULC7; 07-21-2016 at 09:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
joemessman (07-21-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 12:28 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

After reading of the complaints concerning Blade Silver on 14's & some 15's I went over mine good before I bought. Using a bit of common sense (rare today) I was quite pleased with the paint quality.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:30 PM
Tron1
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Yesterday I visited a local Chevy dealer to view some C7's on the lot... saw what looked like a Shark Gray on the lot and the paint looked excellent and did not notice any orange peel.

The horror stories I have heard about the C7 paint quality might be overblown (and I hope it is). I expect delivery of my 2017 WGG in about a month.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:00 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,671 Likes on 8,313 Posts

It's not nearly as bad as reading internet forums would have you believe, but I (and many others) have previously said, I've never seen any mass-produced modern car of any make w/o some OP.

You usually don't notice it in natural light. Don't ever examine it under fluorescent lights, and you may never see it. ;-)
Old 07-22-2016, 03:30 PM
jim spitzer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I just took delivery of my 2016 torch red base model 2 days ago but it was late in the night. The next day I had to take it back for a detail. I picked up the car it looked pretty good but I seen all the flaws, Being raised in the family paint and body business I didnt want to risk having anybody try to fix it. How ever when I was dusting the car off to put it to bed for the night on the passenger by the door handle there is a small crack in the paint. I could cover it with a penny but its still a crack. I called the dealer and they will look at it at 10:30 in the morning.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:55 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
It's not nearly as bad as reading internet forums would have you believe, but I (and many others) have previously said, I've never seen any mass-produced modern car of any make w/o some OP. You usually don't notice it in natural light. Don't ever examine it under fluorescent lights, and you may never see it. ;-)
Exactly, that basically was my original intention with this thread. To show that even a low volume 300K Ferrari can have a paint job that to someone was not considered up to par with expectations. I have seen quite a few in person as well, including Lambos that have OP.

Last edited by ssidekickbp; 07-22-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:57 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,063 Posts

^^^I have to agree I see exotics at cars and coffee every saturday and they have orange peel.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:08 PM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,127 Likes on 564 Posts

I would have thought that with robots doing the painting it would be the same all the time.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:21 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 527 Likes on 317 Posts

I still think they need to have an option for extra clear. IMO people would pay for it, it would cost hardly anything, and would allow for post build wet sand correction to be performed with no issues. We sorta got this many years ago when my Dad bought a new 91 from Reedman in PA. It had acid rain damage from the lot... he complained and they fixed it by adding a few more coats of clear. It was the nicest paint job I have ever seen after the extra clear was added and it was buffed out. Had that been an option from the factory it would have been a far simpler job.

And no... this is not a new problem. Back when the 90's ZR1's came out I knew of more than one that sent the car to paint and had extra coats of clear put on and had them cut and buffed to perfection.

And no... this is not a GM only problem. My M3 has orange peel on some of the panels. Ironically my Chevy volt has none.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:30 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,036 Posts

My 2015 Silver had excellent paint it was built the last week of production last June. My 2016 Admiral Blue has more orange peel than I like but I will live with it. Don't want to wet sand paint to thin on these new cars!!!
Old 07-22-2016, 09:09 PM
wrecker3
Melting Slicks

Received 1,489 Likes on 747 Posts

My 2016 LB Z-51 has very little OP but what i found on some of the edges the clear coat is a little thick but ok.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:29 AM
ryoder
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Mine has two runs.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:16 AM
67435animal
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Mine has several runs on the deck under the convertible top. I also have lots of orange peel on the upper front fenders - both sides. I expected much better.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:04 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Yesterday was Ferrari day at Portland Cars and Coffee in Wilsonville, Or. Inspected the Ferrari paint jobs and they all had some degree of orange peel. Most were no better than what I have on my C7.
ssidekickbp (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 10:15 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Wouldnt accept a less than real good paint job on a 60k+ dollar car not mention theres not much on it to work with. Lexus and Caddy used to have half decent production jobs. Embarassing

Get notified of new replies

To Were you not happy w/ paint quality?

Old 07-24-2016, 10:35 AM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

When is the new paint facility going to up and running at BG ?
Old 07-24-2016, 11:14 AM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by lgodom
Its interesting that the carbon fiber parts have the least amount of OP, while the SMC panels are likely to have more.
I have notice that as well. The reality is the SMC panels are not as flat as stamped steel. If you look carefully there is some wave to the material. I'm fussier that most I guess - I can almost always identify panels of any car that have been repaired.

Since I get to sit in traffic for 2 hours a day, I have looked carefully at many cars for OP and frankly, most of them have it to varying degrees. I do agree that the C7 has a lot of variability in the quality of the paint, which may have to do with the SMC. Somebody posted here a really good, detailed explanation on the special needs of painting non-conductive body panels.

Perhaps the water based paints are more difficult to get consistent results, but I am not really buying that as a reason. GM's other offerings no doubt use water based paints and they, for the most part, have better quality paint work. And even Lexus, which from my casual observations have the best paint work, use water based paint.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:30 PM
jdwk
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Borntorun04
When is the new paint facility going to up and running at BG ?
I was just at the factory in early June and all they would say is next year. If someone knows a more exact date I'd also like to know.
I was really excited to see the new colors, but then disappointed to find out I'd have to wait another year to get the better quality paint.
Borntorun04/17 (07-25-2016)

Quick Reply: Were you not happy w/ paint quality?