Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Were you not happy w/ paint quality?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 10:48 AM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

Default Were you not happy w/ paint quality?

I know there have been many threads about the paint quality with the C7. There have been a couple I agree with missed QC. ( I think most complaints are overboard for a car that is this mass produced myself ), but I just wanted to share this:

A brand new 488GTB having paint correction done as well. It just goes to show you that even a way lower volume exotic in the 300k range can also have some issues.

I have been more than happy with the paint quality on my Z51 for what it is. Sometimes I think we just need to set realistic expectations and the bottom line that this is after all, a high volume manufactured car.
Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2016, 10:56 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

The main problem with the C7 paint finish is that it has been inconsistent by a wider margin than in the past. You can find C7s with paint that looks quite good, untouched from the factory. And you can find C7s with paint that is awful.

I think that is what is most frustrating to folks. Clearly, a good paint job can be laid on the C7 by the factory, as they have done it. They just haven't been able to do it consistently.

It's also interesting to compare C7 paint finish to other GM cars - most of which are better/more consistent.

The good news - we have a new paint shop that will be coming on-line in the relative near future (that project, btw, pretty much confirms improvements are needed) that hopefully will raise the quality and consistency of Corvette paint. Not only is that good news in the sense of a better finish - but good evidence GM remains committed to continuous improvement of the Corvette.
The following 2 users liked this post by OnPoint:
Gonzo (07-20-2016), JimNeedsC7 (07-22-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 11:03 AM
Bui
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
The main problem with the C7 paint finish is that it has been inconsistent by a wider margin than in the past. You can find C7s with paint that looks quite good, untouched from the factory. And you can find C7s with paint that is awful.

I think that is what is most frustrating to folks. Clearly, a good paint job can be laid on the C7 by the factory, as they have done it. They just haven't been able to do it consistently.

It's also interesting to compare C7 paint finish to other GM cars - most of which are better/more consistent.

The good news - we have a new paint shop that will be coming on-line in the relative near future (that project, btw, pretty much confirms improvements are needed) that hopefully will raise the quality and consistency of Corvette paint. Not only is that good news in the sense of a better finish - but good evidence GM remains committed to continuous improvement of the Corvette.
It's more difficult because the curing process can vary with the material the car is composed of. Or so I've heard. I'm no paint expert, take this with a grain of salt.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:11 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bui
It's more difficult because the curing process can vary with the material the car is composed of. Or so I've heard. I'm no paint expert, take this with a grain of salt.
I don't know what the root causes are. Like you, I've heard various theories as to why.

GM investing a boat load of cash into a new paint facility at BG is pretty exciting, though, and I have no doubt they know exactly what the issues are and to what extent they can be improved. I look forward to seeing the results of that.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:18 AM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

The wife's '14 (black) was pretty darn good... Not perfect, but very acceptable and I was quite pleased given all of the noise on the forums at the time about the OP.

My '16 disappointed me a bit, as it had far more OP and also had a few 'creases' that I pointed out at the Museum. They wrote up a service order, but it wasn't worth risking a mismatch to try to fix imperfections that were hardly noticeable.

As you pointed out, it is a mass-produced production vehicle, so I have realistic expectations. Hopefully the new paint facility allows them to vastly improve the quality and consistency - time will tell.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:10 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

The OP doesn't really bother me that much. I probably think about it more because its discussed so much.

Because of this I've looked more closely at other cars. Hit and miss. Some expensive cars have it, some don't.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:13 PM
pdpratt
Red Shadow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 354 Likes on 168 Posts

I have been very pleased with my paint job from

BG.
The following 2 users liked this post by pdpratt:
Gonzo (07-20-2016), ssidekickbp (07-19-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 12:32 PM
Cromagnum
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I think the majority of it is that corvette owners are too damn picky. Every car Ive owned from every manufacturer has some degree of orange peel.
The following 5 users liked this post by Cromagnum:
dvilin (07-19-2016), JimNeedsC7 (07-22-2016), Monkey D. Luffy (07-20-2016), Rebel Yell (07-22-2016), ssidekickbp (07-19-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 12:39 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,061 Posts

EPA regulations have introduced a complexity into the painting process that has so many variables now that it is difficult to have the desired consistency. Same in regard to orange peel. They actually do quite well considering the restraints they are subjected to in my opinion.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:51 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I suspect a lot of what people are complaining about as paint quality is, in part, an issue with the fabrication of the body panels. My car has had two paint corrections and now has little or no orange peel, but there is some minor "waviness" in sections of the front fenders and a couple of places on the hood. Getting rid of panel issues would require a complete sand down and respray, but that would be ridiculous.

It is a black car, a color which shows every tiny imperfection, but I'm generally very pleased with it. You probably wouldn't notice it at all if the same fenders were painted white, and after all, it is a just a $60K car.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:01 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Having Arctic White hides a lot of flaws, that being said I am happy with the paint.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:15 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Don't get your hopes up that paint consistency will improve with the new paint facility. Probably the main reason for replacing the old facility has more to do more with the EPA than the finished product.
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (07-19-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 01:41 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Last edited by C8Jake; 07-24-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:59 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp
I know there have been many threads about the paint quality with the C7. There have been a couple I agree with missed QC. ( I think most complaints are overboard for a car that is this mass produced myself ), but I just wanted to share this:

A brand new 488GTB having paint correction done as well. It just goes to show you that even a way lower volume exotic in the 300k range can also have some issues.

I have been more than happy with the paint quality on my Z51 for what it is. Sometimes I think we just need to set realistic expectations and the bottom line that this is after all, a high volume manufactured car.
big investment in new paint facility ... must be a good reason for it ..
hopefully the drips and runs and op will be reduced ...
Old 07-19-2016, 01:59 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Don't get your hopes up that paint consistency will improve with the new paint facility. Probably the main reason for replacing the old facility has more to do more with the EPA than the finished product.

Could be. After having represented highly regulated industry for a long time, I certainly understand having to make capital investments to remain in compliance with ever tightening requirements.

I do think we'll see some quality improvement with it, tho. Although I admit that for now for all of us that resides a bit in the "hope" bucket as only time will tell how the product actually turns out.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:10 PM
pjitty
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

2 things,
1: my car is a little over 18 months old and it seems the op has flattened a bit, possibly cured over time
2: composite panel warp slightly when expose to heat/summer sun, been boating for years and this is my observation.

My car is Torch Red and was never really an issue with op from day 1...

Joe D
Old 07-19-2016, 02:12 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

My C7 is my first American car since 1976 so I can only compare its paint quality with numerous German cars, mostly BMWs and a few Audis, 3 Lexi and one Volvo. I would say I'm not unhappy, more like disappointed that GM can't produce a car with paint finish at least equal to what comes out of Europe. Since my car is Laguna Blue I don't think the OP is as bad as the darker colors but it is still noticeable especially on the vertical p, anels. Overall, I'm still happy with my car as long as the A8 doesn't fail on me.

Last edited by rmorin1249; 07-19-2016 at 02:13 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Were you not happy w/ paint quality?

Old 07-19-2016, 02:19 PM
Tron1
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The C7 paint problems I have seen are 'orange peel'
I have attended several Cars and Coffee events and have seen this defect on several cars and on dealer lots. One proud new owner of a Z06 didn't notice it until I pointed it out. He was too happy with his car to care. To each his own.

I ordered a 2017 Watkins Glen Gray and have my fingers crossed. Expected delivery mid August.

From the internet:
Orange peel is a certain kind of finish that may develop on painted and cast surfaces, even screen protectors. The texture resembles the surface of the skin of an orange. Gloss paint sprayed on a smooth surface (such as the body of a car) should also dry into a smooth surface.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:00 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

The metallic in the Cyber Gray gives the appearance of orange peel on mine, but the clearcoat is totally smooth. Overall, very satisfied with the paint job.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:16 PM
glava2876
Burning Brakes

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

I am a pretty picky guy and hand wash & wax my cars because I enjoy that on a quiet Saturday morning. I have a Black 2014 Cadillac SRX, a Black 2015 GMC Sierra Denali CC and my Black 2015 Z51 -the paint finish is consistent on all of them. On all 3, if you look at the finish close, especially at an angle they all have slight orange peel. Stand back 10' and they all look amazing.

Last edited by glava2876; 07-19-2016 at 03:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Were you not happy w/ paint quality?