Sponsored by:

Lots of used C7 Z06's around here

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 07:15 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Wadoka
For the poster who mentioned, their M7 isn't fun in creeping traffic - it's never fun, no matter what car you have - but, have you ever tried creeping the car by leaving the clutch engaged, and using your brakes to crawl at a slower-than-idle speed? I do that; and so I don't have to clutch in, clutch out, unless I'm actually about to stall.
You do realize that with a fuel injected computer controlled engine, that is very hard on the engine - it is dumping fuel in to keep the rpm's as close to the programmed idle speed as it can.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:39 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

100 grand is a lot of cash to tie up in a garage queen...lots of guys experience the z06 and then move on to the next latest and greatest...

For many it's just a 650 ho sports car and they buy cars like some of buy underwear
Old 03-09-2017, 09:23 AM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by MJC611
Most of my driving is on rural 2-lane roads. My '17 Z06 M7 gets about 25mpg with normal driving(occasional WOT but mostly 55-65 cruising). Best 50mi. is 29.3mpg. Have yet to try Eco mode. It is my daily driver w/ about 6,500mi. since Oct 15.
My spouse gets 15 mpg pretty consistently in the '16 Z06/Z07 M7, about 70% hwy / backroad driving.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:54 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by thill444
He told the dealer it was just way too much car for him.
These cars are too much car for most of us frankly, me included.

But I shall persevere.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:16 AM
Spacewalker
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by L8ter

Lot of reasons, pick one or make up some of your own.
Bought a manual, decided they wanted auto
Bought an auto, decided they wanted a manual
Bought "almost what they wanted" because it was limited supply at the time, decided to get "what they really wanted"
Have to have the latest and greatest
Old 03-09-2017, 01:35 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

It's not just many slightly used Z06's for sale...it is many slightly used Corvettes for sale in general. To many, a Corvette is an impulse buy. Many find that they later can not afford it or just don't get the use out of the car for the money spent.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:27 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

I think we've uncovered about 20% of the reasons.
I've had a few corvettes and some, I never drove so I didn't see the point of letting the value drop in the garage. The next owner sure got a nice car though! This time, I said to myself, I'm going to drive this mf'er as much as I can. I don't care if it gets dirty, the tires wear out, I burn a lot of expensive gas... I don't care if my friends ask me what I'm compensating for! I stopped riding the Harley because I much prefer this car(see ad on Craigslist!!). I got 5,000 miles in the first year (2016). Going for another 5,000 this year in a short northern season.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (03-13-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 09:20 PM
Wadoka
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

Originally Posted by LIStingray
You do realize that with a fuel injected computer controlled engine, that is very hard on the engine - it is dumping fuel in to keep the rpm's as close to the programmed idle speed as it can.
The literature; almost 252,000 trouble-free miles; and two clutches (only replaced the original because I wanted to upgrade) say otherwise.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:35 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Hopefully the used Stingray car prices come down to earth soon. I can't fathom why a 10-15K mile 2014 of any equipment level could possibly be worth north of $40K retail to hardly anybody at this point; when I was looking I couldn't find a 2014 with an asking price in the $35K-$40K range. These are cars that are effectively FOUR MODEL YEARS OLD and you can buy new ones all day long for $48K (stripped) - $65K (loaded), I paid $62K for a car that listed for close to $71K.

This was in December, effectively the dead of low season. It really was kind of unfathomable. All this 'oh yeah but you have to figure $4K in negotiation off the asking price?' stuff strikes me as utter bullshit. If you are selling a car you want to get $39K for, ask $41K. If you're asking $42K your price is too friggin high. And if you think that's an effective way to market your used car, think of all the buyers like me WHO WON'T EVEN BOTHER TO CALL.

Makes you wonder how many used car deals never get made thanks to that stupid pricing mentality. Don't erect a wall of price resistance around your used car, that's just idiotic. You know what aggressive car dealers do now? They pay services who survey the market for used car pricing, they find the lowest retail prices on a given year/make/model of used car in their region, and then they PRICE THE CAR WITHIN $500 of THAT. And they move FAR more cars marketing the product that way.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:55 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

The used deals are out there. You just have to do your research, negotiate, and have patience. You can't also compare a new bare bones 2017 1LT to at $47K to a used 3LT with under 5K miles at $45K. I have seen a couple sub $40K Vettes out there but they don't last.

In terms of why do dealers mark up their used prices, well it's because they can and this is not just a Corvette thing. In the age of the Internet and email you simply hit up 5-10 dealers over email that has a used car you like and you negotiate. A few hours of time can save you a lot of money buying used vs new.

Private sellers are usually in the most denial about their cars until they get the trade-in value from the dealer. Like most sports cars the C7 really does not hold its value that well. Expect a 15-20%+ price drop over what you paid (not MSRP) the minute you drive the car off the lot.

Once a refreshed C7 is offered sub $40K used ones will be plantiful.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:38 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Originally Posted by thill444
Like most sports cars the C7 really does not hold its value that well. Expect a 15-20%+ price drop over what you paid (not MSRP) the minute you drive the car off the lot.
I agree/disagree. Yes, you take a 15-20% hit driving the car away. I paid $62K for my 2017 Z51, I figure if I wanted to trade the car now a dealer would offer me $50-$52K.

But longer term these cars hold their value big time compared to other cars. I bought my 2007 C6 M6 (no Z51) 3LT for $29,500 in April of 2015 from a dealer. They were asking $32,500, which was ridiculous. But the car had only 20,450 miles. I figure the dealer probably paid $26K or so for the car. If that is the case, then that's an EIGHT year old car that probably sold new for $52K, and the owner managed to get 50% of its original retail price @ wholesale on trade from a dealer. Even with the stupid low mileage (for most cars, not so unusual for a Corvette however), what other cars hold their value like that? Maybe Porsches. Porsches and Corvettes do hold value, particularly compared to sedans, SUVs, etc.

No matter how you look at it cars are money pits, awful investments, until they get older, vintage like 60s muscle cars, and that can take 50 years. And it's hard to predict. But new cars, forget it. They are money pits. I know that, that's why I was eager to buy used, just couldn't find the right car at a reasonable price, not even close, over two months of looking nationwide. As I previously stated, a lot of that had to do with my personal deal circumstances, had I been a cash buyer with no trade it would have been much easier. Glad I got a 2017 for a couple of reasons.

I'm sure that when the 2018s come out the used prices have to drop or they'll never sell.

Quick Reply: Lots of used C7 Z06's around here