Sponsored by:

Paddle shift?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 03:04 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearbox22
Nascar uses a Jerico 4 speed transmission using a clutch pedal as well as many in the European racing series.
Nascar is NOT a Sportscar series.
the last time I looked, all the cars at the the Rolex 24 hour Daytona series all ran 6 speed manual sequential gear boxes with a clutch pedal.
You must not have checked recently:

Re-read my post:
"NO major Sportscar racing series uses a manual clutch to shift gears on-track."
The shifting is done by the driver via paddles only, no 3rd pedal is involved.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:01 PM
REZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Meds...Meds...please try to remember them....!
Old 03-02-2017, 07:15 PM
Gearbox22
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Nascar is NOT a Sportscar series.
You must not have checked recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV2jZFO56Kg

Re-read my post:
"NO major Sportscar racing series uses a manual clutch to shift gears on-track."
The shifting is done by the driver via paddles only, no 3rd pedal is involved.
And like I said, the video you show is of a 6 speed sequential manual with paddle shifters, but it does have a clutch pedal to start the car off from stop and regardless on how it rev matches to up and downshift, it is still a manual transmission. So what does this have anything to do with the A8 and the topic of this conversation?

And this is right from the series rule book:

Transmission: 2014 and later: 6 speed sequential manual transmission - 2013 and earlier: Above 4.5 L (275 in³) - 5 forward gears (maximum)
4.5 L (275 in³) displacement and below - 6 forward gears (maximum) manual or sequential manual transmission paddle shift allowed

Last edited by Gearbox22; 03-02-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:38 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

I believe what it has to do with the conversation is that we are talking about "paddle shifting" and whether or not the transmission has a torque converter or a dual clutch the act of shifting is the same. And how you drive the two cars is the same. And all paddle shift transmissions are "sequential". The fact that the A8 torque converter transmission has a fluid coupling and not a dual clutch does not change how you drive the car or how the car responds in manual mode.

Last edited by Walt White Coupe; 03-03-2017 at 09:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NSC5 (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 12:25 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
I believe what it has to do with the conversation is that we are talking about "paddle shifting" and whether or not the transmission has a torque converter or a dual clutch the act of shifting is the same. And how you drive the two cars is the same. And all paddle shift transmissions are "sequential". The fact that the A8 torque converter transmission has a fluid coupling and not a dual clutch does not change how you drive the car or how the car responds in manual mode.
THANK YOU for saving me some typing.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:45 AM
Gearbox22
Instructor

While the title of this thread was "Paddle Shifter" the OP, who was a long time manual driver, basically just wanted to know what the difference were and if the A8 would work like a manual which I took as differences in "feel and engagement"" and having driven all types of gearboxes extensively on the roads and track for the past 4 decades, offered my opinion. If you feel that there is no difference in response, great, but I do by a far margin. To me, the paddle on a manual versus a paddle on a TC Auto are worlds apart regardless on how the shift is achieved. And while there are no wrong answers to personal opinions and experiences, saying things like all race cars uses paddles for a reason on this thread implies that they are using an A8 transmission which is misleading, and then saying they don't have a clutch pedal is just untrue. Maybe on F1 and Indy cars who have launch control, but they are still manuals, albeit operated electronically, and nothing like the A8 in design nor feel.

Look, I get it, you love your A8 and you got a good one. Kudos. It suits your driving style, needs, and it is perfect. But for others, it is not, especially if they are used to manuals and like the more engaged feeling. It doesn't mean anyone is wrong or right, but just personal preference.

Last edited by Gearbox22; 03-04-2017 at 03:06 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:45 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Your points are well taken but isn't this really splitting hairs.

saying things like all race cars uses paddles for a reason on this thread implies that they are using an A8 transmission which is misleading, and then saying they don't have a clutch pedal is just untrue.

So your bottom line seems to be that there is a major difference between the "feeling" of a
dual clutch automatic transmission and a torque converter automatic transmission when it comes to negotiating a race course. So I assume you have personal experience with this difference in an automatic C7 in track mode and a comparable high performance dual clutch car. Could you elaborate on that difference? I'm sure there is a difference but I suspect it is very minor difference especially for the vast majority of drivers even for those attending an HPD event.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:40 PM
Gearbox22
Instructor

Your points are well taken but isn't this really splitting hairs.

saying things like all race cars uses paddles for a reason on this thread implies that they are using an A8 transmission which is misleading, and then saying they don't have a clutch pedal is just untrue.

So your bottom line seems to be that there is a major difference between the "feeling" of a
dual clutch automatic transmission and a torque converter automatic transmission when it comes to negotiating a race course. So I assume you have personal experience with this difference in an automatic C7 in track mode and a comparable high performance dual clutch car. Could you elaborate on that difference? I'm sure there is a difference but I suspect it is very minor difference especially for the vast majority of drivers even for those attending an HPD event.
I really didn't think it was splitting hairs when someone says something so absolute such as "all" race cars uses paddles and have no clutch pedals, somehow intimating that all race cars are using an A8 automatic transmission. And yes, I understand the title of this thread is "Paddle Shifters" but after reading the OP text, it was apparent to me that he was using the term "Paddle Shifters" in lieu of the A8. So if I misunderstood, I apologise, but my posts was to delineate the differences between the A8 and 7M and not to confuse the A8 with sequentials or other electronically controlled manual gearboxes.

The last time I drove a C7 A8 on a track was at Summit Point, we were running the event and had 45 minutes for lunch, but decided to take our personal cars onto the track. We had a Z06 A8, a Z06 7M, and I was in my way underpowered Cayman S, but we traded cars. On WOT on the straights, I did still feel a slight lag, and more of a glide into gears. But this is systemic of the TC as there is no mechanical connection, rather just two fans blowing on each submerged in transmission fluid. But if you told me I was splitting hairs here, I would have to agree with you. But what I really didn't like was the real delay in downshifting. In turn 1, you just had the car at WOT on the 880 meter straight and late braking to make the right turn. As I was throwing the paddles to downshift, there was a noticeable delay and once it did shift, the car had very little engine braking, actually more of a glide. Conversely on the 7M, I was able to go from 4 to 2 and time the clutch release under braking, and using the engine braking to rotate the car around the turn. Turns 5,6 &7 was another area where the delay in downshifting was annoying, it was pretty much a right and then left tight turn and most of the time I felt that I was just rolling through the turn. Plus, not the A8's fault, but turn 5 was fun trying to downshift as the paddle moved way over to the 4 O'clock position as you were trying to fight the g forces around the turn. Not trying to sound like a purest, but racing against similar grouped cars is about tenths of a second and the more control you have, the more connected you are, the better the chances, if you have the skill. Having electronic nannies isn't as fun for me. The A8 overheated badly during our run and I understand this was more of a Z06 issue. But I was so impressed with the Corvette that I placed my order for a GS as my daily street car.

But racing only affects a very small population of our group, most of our cars are just street driven cars. When I started to look for my car, I drove a number of Corvettes, from Stingrays to GS and Z06's. Plus some dealers only had the A8 so I drove them as well. And unlike track driving, I drove these cars like I would have normally on the streets, although I did notice that I was up to 90 mph within 100 feet from the dealers driveway. Very fast cars and it gets to speed fast if you don't pay attention. But the delay is more noticeable even on upshifts in normal driving. I counted at least 1 mississippi if not more before it would shift. I tried this between driving under moderate acceleration at 30 mph and 50 mph and got different results, but definitely a noticeable delay. And the downshift delays were there as well along with the glide feel. This would truly drive me nuts for a daily driver. Under power and WOT, the car shifts a lot faster, especially in track mode, but I like my license and insurance rates. Plus I'm not a kid with something to prove on public streets, so I opted for the 7M.

But another concern would be the issues that seem to plague many A8 owners and not just limited to Corvettes, but GM's entire range of cars with the A8. I know GM used the robust and time proven ZF 8 speed as its model, but changed something which is now showing up as shudders, vibrations, and warble noise in the diff on Corvettes. And from what I understand, after 4 years of production, no permanent fix has been found. Some had it remedied with a TC swap and others were not so lucky. I have read that the issue materializes either when the car is brand new, or when they have about 12,000 to 15,000 miles, and not on all cars. But it seems GM has issued a number of TSB's on this issue with the latest being last month. Something about flushing the transmission with Mobil 1 three times. But if I was on the fence about a manual or auto, despite my personal preferences, I would opt for the manual just to avoid the possible issue no matter how small the percentage.
The following 3 users liked this post by Gearbox22:
C7Z0-SIX (03-04-2017), drivemewilder (03-06-2017), Walt White Coupe (03-04-2017)
Old 04-13-2018, 08:47 PM
hayabusaxps
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok we agree theres a delay on the shift for the A8 vs M8. but the A8 shifts faster. I dont think ANYONE cares about those small factors. we can account for the delay on the A8, You probably don't competitively drag with the A8 purely because the shift is faster. What frustrates the heck out of me is the missed shifts under full throttle when paddle shifting.

Am i doing something wrong?
i usually dont get frustrated because ive read it occurs because the trans is just protecting itself from high power shifts, but i bought a corvette to enjoy the power....
Those who do have a A8 and drive it like its stolen, whats your thoughts?

i usually advice against the autos because often the car will ignore your controls...
i drive with all aides off because if the ecu tosses in a cut power prior to entering a turn it can destroy your line.

in the turns and track its great but,messing around and drag.... its annoying.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:43 AM
pnsnkr
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by drivemewilder
I think I'm within a month or so from being ready to purchase a C7. When I bought my C6, I was picky about wanting a manual transmission. I have no interest in an automatic. In my limited exploration of the available used C7's, I keep seeing the paddle shift in the description and it seems that it's always listed when the car is listed as an automatic. I'm completely unfamiliar with driving using paddle shifters...can someone shed some light on it for me or direct me to the appropriate link if it's already been discussed as I'm sure it has? Do all C7's have paddle shift? Is it always listed as an automatic? Where is the crash course on how to drive using paddle shifters? Any input is appreciated and I apologize if this has already been beat to death.
I was exactly in the same place about 2 months ago where you are right now on this topic. I came from a 21yr stint on a manual tranny sports car from the 90s and the first time I heard about a paddle-shifting C7, I got really excited about it; especially because I'd like to share my next sports car with my wife who doesn't care for manual transmission. I thought that the paddle-shifter was a special edition (similar to the C7's with Lambo doors) but was relieved to find out that every A8 auto-trans C7 was equipped with a paddle-shifter. Once I test-drove one of these, I never looked back; now, I own a 2016 C7 Z51 A8 convertible and am very happy with the purchase.

My recommendation is to test-drive one or ten of these cars before you find the one that floats your boat.

Quick Reply: Paddle shift?