Sponsored by:

Front plate

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 02:36 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by nhisfan
After 20+ years of playing hide and seek with the law, I too decided it was time to just bite the bullet...
I don't find the C7 attachment all that offensive. Granted my preference would be no plate, but...
I trimmed the "Aero Plate" bracket so the plate looks like it's floating in the grill...

geo
Too bad you didn't have one of the previous white with green letter Mass plates. Only rear on those editions still.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:25 PM
MichaelO
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

I have a nicely modified front plate bracket that I don't need. It's a guick removable from Innovative Products which I modified and added a small metal frame to take the curse off the raw edges. I have $200 into it, it's yours for $100 plus shipping. See the pictures, it's really perfect for someone wishing to easily remove their plate as needed. Let me know.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:43 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

No front plate here in TX is no longer a simple fix it ticket. It is $200 first offense and the highway patrol is real big on stopping folks for it. Like others, I trimmed down the aero plate mount. Being on handicap plates is bad enough.I don't want any more issues from the DPS.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:23 PM
kabluie
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by woodsguy
On a side note, this was an extremely friendly officer, I think he wanted to see the car as much as anything, that said , how do you answer the comment "how does it run" to an officer!!!! I just changed the subject, didn't want to incriminate myself! ha.
I think most police officers are car guys. I would just tell them that it goes pretty good. Everybody knows that. I would also offer him a chance to sit in it and see how it fits. One of the first rules of salesmanship is to make friends with the customer. In this case you are trying to sell the LEO the idea that you're a good guy and don't really deserve a ticket. (grin)
Old 05-06-2017, 04:44 AM
LuCkYSe7eN11
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Heres mine
Old 05-06-2017, 08:25 AM
C5North
Race Director

Location: HOPE is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by JonMN
Still pushing my luck here in MN. I see a surprising number of nicer cars skipping the front plate, so I figure I will see what happens. I do have the front plate on a Zip removable frame sitting in the trunk.
I did that for many years until a few State Troopers in our area started getting their knickers in a bunch over no front plate. I received two front plate tickets over the course of one summer and decided it just wasn't worth the hassle anymore, for me. I've NEVER had a problem with city police or Country Sheriff Deputy's. But State Troopers....

Minnesota's insistence on front plates: one stupid thing in an endless list of stupid things this state does. Only 96 months to retirement and then moving to a state with no front plate requirement AND NO F'ING SNOW.

Last edited by C5North; 05-06-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:29 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by C5North
I did that for many years until a few State Troopers in our area started getting their knickers in a bunch over no front plate. I received two front plate tickets over the course of one summer and decided it just wasn't worth the hassle anymore, for me. I've NEVER had a problem with city police or Country Sheriff Deputy's. But State Troopers....

Minnesota's insistence on front plates: one stupid thing on an endless list of stupid things this state does. Only 96 months to retirement and then moving to a state with no front plate requirement AND NO F'ING SNOW.
See ya in 8 years!
Old 05-06-2017, 08:34 AM
C5North
Race Director

Location: HOPE is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by joemessman
See ya in 8 years!
EXACTLY! Probably the Queen Creek area. My folks already spend about 8 months a year in Apache Junction.

LOVE it down there!
Old 05-06-2017, 08:50 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Here's mine;
Attached Images  
Old 05-06-2017, 09:46 AM
JK 23112
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 646 Posts

In VA, they are like ***** about front tags. While I see some 'Vette owners driving sans plate, I don't want to do anything to arouse the local constabulary.

I don't drive my C7 often, but it doesn't look THAT bad with a front plate. Honestly, the EZ-Pass transponder & the state inspection sticker don't do much for aesthetics either.

^^ Without front plate. ^^

(It had the temporary rear-only tag from Maryland.)

^^ With the front tag. ^^

The bracket is mounted to the grille and comes off easily if I decide to move down to NC, SC, GA or FL.

Last edited by JK 23112; 05-06-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:10 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I live in a no front plate state now but the GM Aero Panel works well and in my opinion looks far better than any of the aftermarket solutions. It is easily removable in case you go to the track and need the extra cooling air and doesn't move around like some of the aftermarket units do.

GM provides a better solution for less money. The reason they have the one that attaches to the bumper is because the Aero Panel isn't exactly legal since it is a few inches too low to meet state rules. Most states will let the height pass but some might not.

Bill
Old 05-06-2017, 10:44 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C5North
EXACTLY! Probably the Queen Creek area. My folks already spend about 8 months a year in Apache Junction.

LOVE it down there!
Yes. I just moved down to Lake Havasu on April 3rd. It is magnificent! And most of AZ. Folks always say it gets hot down here. Yes, but I don't stand in the sunshine. Can you spell air conditioning?
As an aside I have the transparent roof. And we went racing yesterday. The temp was a 110. That is even abnormally hot for here this time of year. No tint on the window either. The car stayed nice and cool at 68 setting and the sun coming thru the transparent top didn't heat up the top of our heads. I was going to tint, but don't think so now.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:10 AM
TREH
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I just assumed all states are cracking down on cars without front plates since they use laser now to catch speeders. My vette arrives in a few weeks and I've this dilemma. :-/
Old 05-06-2017, 11:16 AM
TScottTX
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

If you live in a state that has a variety of custom plates you might be able to get a color that blends into the grill or body color. The cost is more than offset by one missing front plate ticket.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:23 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by TScottTX
If you live in a state that has a variety of custom plates you might be able to get a color that blends into the grill or body color. The cost is more than offset by one missing front plate ticket.

Can't really see the details of the bracket... Did you use the GM bracket or aftermarket?
Old 05-06-2017, 11:38 AM
Italianfox
Burning Brakes

Received 811 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by vbdenny
Too bad you didn't have one of the previous white with green letter Mass plates. Only rear on those editions still.
They are replacing those now when you renew your registration because most are so old they are not easy to read now.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:46 AM
TScottTX
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Can't really see the details of the bracket... Did you use the GM bracket or aftermarket?
Aftermarket (I think Top Flight) and encased the plate with a cheap rubber surround from Pep Boys.

Get notified of new replies

To Front plate

Old 05-06-2017, 12:05 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TScottTX

Yes. AZ has dozens of choices.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:32 PM
c8nukeZ51
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by JK 23112

In VA, they are like ***** about front tags. While I see some 'Vette owners driving sans plate, I don't want to do anything to arouse the local constabulary.

I don't drive my C7 often, but it doesn't look THAT bad with a front plate. Honestly, the EZ-Pass transponder & the state inspection sticker don't do much for aesthetics either.

^^ Without front plate. ^^

(It had the temporary rear-only tag from Maryland.)

^^ With the front tag. ^^

The bracket is mounted to the grille and comes off easily if I decide to move down to NC, SC, GA or FL.
For the record, I just sprayed the EZ-Pass transponder flat black with spray paint I got from the dollar store. Made it almost invisible and has no effect on the transponder function.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:43 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
No front plate here in TX is no longer a simple fix it ticket. It is $200 first offense and the highway patrol is real big on stopping folks for it. Like others, I trimmed down the aero plate mount. Being on handicap plates is bad enough.I don't want any more issues from the DPS.
Mike, how did you trim the aero plate? That is the route I want to go. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Front plate