Sponsored by:

color question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 08:27 PM
mpdugas
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default color question

I've not been able to see the Spice Red design interior in any real cars, and the color shown on the various Internet photos varies quite a bit.

This question is really for anyone who has seen one in the "leather", so-to-speak:

is this red more like a purple shade (with a blue undertone) or an orange shade (with a yellow undertone)?

I'm asking because I want to see how well it matches up with the Racing Yellow premium color.

I know it is not a standard color combination, but if the red has some yellow in it, it will match-up OK for my purposes.

Anyone?

The closest dealer car to me, in Houston, seems to be about 600 miles away.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:47 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Of course color is very subjective for all of us. To me, it's in the brownish, maroonish, burgundyish neighborhood.

Here's a thread with some decent representative pics:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rior-help.html
Old 06-03-2017, 10:10 PM
mpdugas
Intermediate

Many thanks; the undertone is definitely a blue, so that eliminates my color scheme.

The pictures are very helpful when paired with the right contrasting colors. Thanks for the link to the other thread. I had searched for Spice, but never found that one.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:02 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Your profile does not say where you are located. May be an opportunity to suggest where you can see it in person if we know the location.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:14 AM
mpdugas
Intermediate

Sorry, I had forgotten about the "profile" thing, but I did mention "The closest dealer car to me, in Houston, seems to be about 600 miles away. " in my original post.

My bad. Thanks for the suggestion; I've taken care of that now.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:25 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I posted a similar thread a few months ago as I'm leaning towards the Spice Red interior matched up with an Arctic White exterior. For me, the color comes across differently based on the exterior color match. Spice Red matched up with Long Beach Red does not match up well to my eyes as the Spice Red seems to have a brownish/ tomato soup-like color tone with this combination. However, after I saw Spice Red matched up with Arctic White, I really liked Spice Red as I thought the color contrast worked better and the Spice Red had a darker, burgundy color tone. Definitely red, but not as bright as the Adrenaline Red.

Color is definitely subjective so try to see your options in person and in different lighting conditions and decide what works best for you and which combination appeals to you most. You will know it when you see it.

Last edited by MSG C5; 06-04-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:33 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

I did miss that in my skip of your first post. But thanks for updating regardless.

Here's a used one that may be a little closer (239 miles from 77001 zip code). Has a red exterior, but the spice red interior.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0029/overview/

Another thought is to hit the regional forums. See if someone local has one you can look at or if there will be a big car show in that region soon that may have one turn up.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:57 AM
mpdugas
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mountainears
I did miss that in my skip of your first post. But thanks for updating regardless.

Here's a used one that may be a little closer (239 miles from 77001 zip code). Has a red exterior, but the spice red interior.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0029/overview/

Another thought is to hit the regional forums. See if someone local has one you can look at or if there will be a big car show in that region soon that may have one turn up.
I have seen several examples of the Long Beach Red Metallic Tintcoat with the spice red package, and I could not imagine that color combination even looking remotely attractive until I saw Rob Wilson's pictures found in the link above, then it all made sense to me: the spice red has a maroon cast to it, and it fits perfectly with that blueish red exterior color. The picture with the passenger shows how well the two colors marry-up.

All of the many other pictures of that combo showed the interior with what appeared to be an yellow-tinted interior which looked pretty bad. I really was beginning to wonder about GM styling until I saw Rob's pictures.

Now it makes sense.

Given that it has a maroon cast to it, I really would like to see it "in the leather"; it may not be what I'm hoping for at all. Maybe I'll have a chance to see it locally after all.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:10 AM
mpdugas
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MSG C5
I posted a similar thread a few months ago as I'm leaning towards the Spice Red interior matched up with an Arctic White exterior. For me, the color comes across differently based on the exterior color match. Spice Red matched up with Long Beach Red does not match up well to my eyes as the Spice Red seems to have a brownish/ tomato soup-like color tone with this combination. However, after I saw Spice Red matched up with Arctic White, I really liked Spice Red as I thought the color contrast worked better and the Spice Red had a darker, burgundy color tone. Definitely red, but not as bright as the Adrenaline Red.

Color is definitely subjective so try to see your options in person and in different lighting conditions and decide what works best for you and which combination appeals to you most. You will know it when you see it.
You are right about how the exterior color affects the interior; I was thinking that perhaps the black color override would be worthwhile, but I saw one like that with BobsZ06, and now I know I have to put eyes on that interior before I can commit.

I agree, though, I think white (and maybe silver) would look pretty nice with it.

I'm really grateful for the forum help; it's made a real difference in this matter.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:17 AM
Mark Trotochaud
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mpdugas
I have seen several examples of the Long Beach Red Metallic Tintcoat with the spice red package, and I could not imagine that color combination even looking remotely attractive until I saw Rob Wilson's pictures found in the link above, then it all made sense to me: the spice red has a maroon cast to it, and it fits perfectly with that blueish red exterior color. The picture with the passenger shows how well the two colors marry-up.

All of the many other pictures of that combo showed the interior with what appeared to be an yellow-tinted interior which looked pretty bad. I really was beginning to wonder about GM styling until I saw Rob's pictures.

Now it makes sense.

Given that it has a maroon cast to it, I really would like to see it "in the leather"; it may not be what I'm hoping for at all. Maybe I'll have a chance to see it locally after all.
Just my 2 cents worth, but a local dealer has a 3lt Long Beach Red Grand Sport with the spice red interior and in my opinion, it looks horrible. Two totally different shades/tones/hues etc.....i don't think they compliment each other at all. But color is subjective so some might like it.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:32 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

You are right about how the exterior color affects the interior; I was thinking that perhaps the black color override would be worthwhile, but I saw one like that with BobsZ06, and now I know I have to put eyes on that interior before I can commit.

I agree, though, I think white (and maybe silver) would look pretty nice with it.

I'm really grateful for the forum help; it's made a real difference in this matter.
The first Long Beach Red Z06 I saw had the Kalahari interior and because of the combination, the Long Beach Read came across as having a brownish tint. Same thing with a Shark Gray Z06 with Kalahari interior. The combination to my eyes, gave the exterior Shark Gray a Pewter look.

Some people think I'm crazy, but maybe I just pick up the small color subtleties.

Last edited by MSG C5; 06-04-2017 at 11:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mpdugas (06-04-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 12:26 PM
mpdugas
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MSG C5
The first Long Beach Red Z06 I saw had the Kalahari interior and because of the combination, the Long Beach Read came across as having a brownish tint. Same thing with a Shark Gray Z06 with Kalahari interior. The combination to my eyes, gave the exterior Shark Gray a Pewter look.

Some people think I'm crazy, but maybe I just pick up the small color subtleties.
I think that people vary in their ability to see colors within colors, which is why I really appreciate the responses to this thread. I definitely see the kalahari influence the way you do; no-go for me.

I was trying to discover whether the spice red was affected more by a blue cast than a yellow one, because those are the only other primary colors that might tilt the shade.

I had in mind a rather alarming color override of racing yellow with spice red, but only if the spice red leaned toward the yellow cast. Since it most definitely does not, I was saved a considerable embarrassment (and instant depreciation, lol!).

The responses have definitely influenced me to look closer at the Long Beach red exterior, which I had not considered before.

Still, that is a dramatically different color combo, and I really have to mull that choice over; it will limit the sales potential if I choose to sell or trade the car later.

I may have to burn an allocation on this one; the satin black full-length stripes really accent all of the other dark trim pieces, making a nice, coherent whole.

Now, should I take the M7 (which I have always had) or take a chance on that problematic A8?

Decisions, decisions!

Last edited by mpdugas; 06-04-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:13 PM
Yellow95
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh no, this gets harder!

I am ordering a yellow 2018 Z. My first two yellow vettes were yellow with black. I always wished my 2003Z had the mod red interior. The all black was too plain for me. My yellow 2008Z has black and titanium interior which is not bad. My wife's 2006 coupe is Monterey red with black and tan interior (very nice).

When I started reading this thread I realized that there are two reds for the interior, spice red and adrenaline red. I will get the red interior but now I don't know if it should be spice red or adrenaline red.

There are not many 2017 yellow cars around to look at and none of them have a red interior.

With the '18s being so new I don't know what all the options are. The dealer I went to near me did not even have the catalog.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:20 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I think that people vary in their ability to see colors within colors, which is why I really appreciate the responses to this thread. I definitely see the kalahari influence the way you do; no-go for me.

I was trying to discover whether the spice red was affected more by a blue cast than a yellow one, because those are the only other primary colors that might tilt the shade.

I had in mind a rather alarming color override of racing yellow with spice red, but only if the spice red leaned toward the yellow cast. Since it most definitely does not, I was saved a considerable embarrassment (and instant depreciation, lol!).

The responses have definitely influenced me to look closer at the Long Beach red exterior, which I had not considered before.

Still, that is a dramatically different color combo, and I really have to mull that choice over; it will limit the sales potential if I choose to sell or trade the car later.

I may have to burn an allocation on this one; the satin black full-length stripes really accent all of the other dark trim pieces, making a nice, coherent whole.

Now, should I take the M7 (which I have always had) or take a chance on that problematic A8?

Decisions, decisions!
I'm leaning towards the M7. My thinking this may be the last time in my life I will be able to purchase a manual transmission, rear-wheel drive, 650 HP (Z06) Corvette. With the improvements to the automatic transmissions over the past few years (A8 issues aside) I think the manual transmission will be a thing of the past in the next few years, especially in the C8.

Originally Posted by Yellow95
Oh no, this gets harder!

I am ordering a yellow 2018 Z. My first two yellow vettes were yellow with black. I always wished my 2003Z had the mod red interior. The all black was too plain for me. My yellow 2008Z has black and titanium interior which is not bad. My wife's 2006 coupe is Monterey red with black and tan interior (very nice).

When I started reading this thread I realized that there are two reds for the interior, spice red and adrenaline red. I will get the red interior but now I don't know if it should be spice red or adrenaline red.

There are not many 2017 yellow cars around to look at and none of them have a red interior.

With the '18s being so new I don't know what all the options are. The dealer I went to near me did not even have the catalog.
Perform a search here on the Forum. I know a few dealers have already posted the 2018 order catalog.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:21 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Good point. Looking at the production numbers from April there were exactly 0 yellows made with a Spice Red interior. That might actually be a combo that requires an override.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:26 PM
mpdugas
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mountainears
Good point. Looking at the production numbers from April there were exactly 0 yellows made with a Spice Red interior. That might actually be a combo that requires an override.
When I choose spice with yellow, the Chevy website removes the spice design package. No price override is offered. I still think the adrenaline red interior with yellow exterior is nice; the website triggers a color override price when you pick that, so it's doable.

That plus red stripes and fender slashes, very nice, bright colors.

I can't do spice with yellow: think more like maroon (which is red with blue tinting) with yellow; that is a rough pick for me. It's the sole reason I asked for this help. But it does not mean that the combo is fatal, it is just not for me.

The Long Beach red with spice red interior, now those two blue-ish reds work well together. Maybe that with the satin black dual center stripes and blacked-out taillights! The answers I got here made me think I may take a chance on that combination, regardless of the potential effect on resale value.

I'm kinda of tired of predictable and safe color combos. I want this GS to make me smile when I see it, rain or shine.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:45 PM
mpdugas
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mark Trotochaud
Just my 2 cents worth, but a local dealer has a 3lt Long Beach Red Grand Sport with the spice red interior and in my opinion, it looks horrible. Two totally different shades/tones/hues etc.....i don't think they compliment each other at all. But color is subjective so some might like it.
Thanks!

I am sure you are right. Even leather is not going to dye-out the same way across all production lots, so one car's interior may have a better match than another.

I've seen pictures of this combination that are pretty horrible, and some that really look good, so choosing that combination is pretty risky...it's a lot of money for a color crap-shoot.

Heck, I may even spring for the vert with that combo. May as well go all-in.

Having driven manuals all of my driving days, I really hope that GM gets the A8 (or A10) sorted before the factory opens up again for production. If not, I'll just continue to stir my own.

Get notified of new replies

To color question

Quick Reply: color question