Range Technology

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 09:27 AM
JPierquet
Racer

Received 312 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Range Technology

Hi everyone:

I have a 2017 C7 base stingray with the A8. My wife primarily drives the car. After reading on this forum issues people were having with their A8's and the AFM system I purchased the AFM disable module from Range. I also purchased OBD1 on/off switch cord. My question is this. How did you guys/gals, install it without having a cord hanging down and still being able to conveniently use the switch? My wife is already annoyed about the need for the switch (this is her car), I am trying to make it as effortless a process as possible. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:43 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,921 Likes on 1,302 Posts

I think you overreacted.... I have several friends that have the A8 and have had zero problems in cars that have already accumulated more than 60K miles.....

Yes, I know that wasn't an answer to your question - jus' sayin'.....
Old 07-16-2017, 09:59 AM
JPierquet
Racer

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
I think you overreacted.... I have several friends that have the A8 and have had zero problems in cars that have already accumulated more than 60K miles.....

Yes, I know that wasn't an answer to your question - jus' sayin'.....
I have been known to do that at times
Old 07-16-2017, 10:05 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

This is now the 5th range thread on the home page. lol
Old 07-16-2017, 10:23 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Yea, there are a few of them. Do try the search. I would say though if you want to make this as easy as possible, eliminate the switch. Review this post, someone used the switch lead that you have and tied it to an accessory power so it just turns on and off with the car.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...h-the-car.html
Old 07-16-2017, 10:33 AM
JPierquet
Racer

Originally Posted by mountainears
Yea, there are a few of them. Do try the search. I would say though if you want to make this as easy as possible, eliminate the switch. Review this post, someone used the switch lead that you have and tied it to an accessory power so it just turns on and off with the car.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...h-the-car.html
I did do a search before I posted. I only saw postings about how Range works, the pros and cons, etc. Unless I missed it I did not see any postings about what I am asking. I did review the above link but I did not want to make any modification if I can help it.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:42 AM
danh63
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JPierquet
I did do a search before I posted. I only saw postings about how Range works, the pros and cons, etc. Unless I missed it I did not see any postings about what I am asking. I did review the above link but I did not want to make any modification if I can help it.
I posted some where asking how people have mounted theirs. I'll try and locate the thread. I used velcro and tucked everything up on the panel by the port. It's out of the way and easy to reach
Old 07-16-2017, 10:47 AM
JPierquet
Racer

Originally Posted by danh63
I posted some where asking how people have mounted theirs. I'll try and locate the thread. I used velcro and tucked everything up on the panel by the port. It's out of the way and easy to reach
I must have missed your posts. I always try to search a topic before I start a new post with my question. Thanks for the info
Old 07-16-2017, 11:03 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

​​​​​​Right ​get on top the obd2 port using velcro.

But I have since gone to a relay setup, no switch!

How To: Range AFM Disabler – No More Parasitic Battery Drain via Relay in Cord

Also waiting for a forum member to post a review of the Diablo equivalent unit to see if they solves all the Range issues.

Last edited by Flame Red; 07-16-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:27 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red

Also waiting for a forum member to post a review of the Diablo equivalent unit to see if they solves all the Range issues.
I'll update everyone by the end of the week, or when the first CEL happens, whichever happens first
Old 07-16-2017, 12:48 PM
JPierquet
Racer

Originally Posted by Flame Red

​​​​​​Right ​get on top the obd2 port using velcro.

But I have since gone to a relay setup, no switch!

How To: Range AFM Disabler – No More Parasitic Battery Drain via Relay in Cord

Thanks for the info. I saw the picture when I was searching around the forum earlier. I thought it had to do with your modification, so I did not pay much attention to it, since I did not want to do something that involved. Looks like a neat set up though. Thanks again for posting the pic.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:01 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Draped the cord over the steering column. The switch is right on top. Plug and play.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:25 AM
justplainjim
Drifting

Received 355 Likes on 220 Posts

Why doesn't the manufacturer just redesign this thing with an on/off switch? problem solved..
Old 07-17-2017, 09:32 AM
50th year
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by justplainjim
Why doesn't the manufacturer just redesign this thing with an on/off switch? problem solved..
That would be to simple
Old 07-17-2017, 10:33 AM
JPierquet
Racer

I think I am going to stop using this altogether. Yesterday, I took the car out and other than going in reverse, the car stayed in D4. No matter what I did it stayed in D4. From researching this forum I know others have had this problem also. I did not get any CEL's but i ran a OBD1 scan and noticed some permanent communication codes. After restarting the car a few times, the car would go into different gears. However, it seems like the car spends a lot of time in 4th gear before shifting down when slowing down. I can't recall if it did this before, but I think I would have noticed it. Is this normal?
Old 07-17-2017, 10:55 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by JPierquet
I think I am going to stop using this altogether. Yesterday, I took the car out and other than going in reverse, the car stayed in D4. No matter what I did it stayed in D4. From researching this forum I know others have had this problem also. I did not get any CEL's but i ran a OBD1 scan and noticed some permanent communication codes. After restarting the car a few times, the car would go into different gears. However, it seems like the car spends a lot of time in 4th gear before shifting down when slowing down. I can't recall if it did this before, but I think I would have noticed it. Is this normal?
What you experienced is typical of what happens when the Range module causes a communications error between the ECM and TCM at startup. Fourth gear is the default "limp" gear for the A8 when it cannot establish communications with the engine which allows it to protect itself during shifts. If you remove the Range module and do a restart you should instantly get all of the gears back or you can unplug the Range module, start the car, and then plug the module in while the car is running which will reset the error codes.

The car normally will stay in 4th gear until a very slow speed and under light acceleration it will upshift into 4th between 21 to 23 MPH (depends upon your rear axle ratio); it will hold 4th under deceleration to much lower than this speed range before downshifting to third and then directly to first as you come to a stop.

Currently for 2016 or later (maybe the absolute latest version works OK for 2016 models) the best solution is to either manually turn on the Range module a few seconds after the car is started or build the delay relay circuit so that it automatically turns on a few seconds after start. It is an inconvenience but it still beats the hell out of GM's screwed up V4 torque converter strategy with its associated RPM fluctuations, wear, and ultimately shudder. I would much rather deal with switching on the Range module when I am not using manual mode instead of dealing with a disassembled C7 while the dealer service tech hopefully does a good job of replacing the torque converter and getting everything back together again only to be repeated again in the future.

I wish Range had a module that worked perfectly with no user intervention but for now it is something I will deal with in order to have full automatic mode without the downside of V4 mode.

Last edited by NSC5; 07-17-2017 at 10:58 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by NSC5:
astaggs (07-17-2017), jimmie jam (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 11:22 AM
JPierquet
Racer

Originally Posted by NSC5
What you experienced is typical of what happens when the Range module causes a communications error between the ECM and TCM at startup. Fourth gear is the default "limp" gear for the A8 when it cannot establish communications with the engine which allows it to protect itself during shifts. If you remove the Range module and do a restart you should instantly get all of the gears back or you can unplug the Range module, start the car, and then plug the module in while the car is running which will reset the error codes.

The car normally will stay in 4th gear until a very slow speed and under light acceleration it will upshift into 4th between 21 to 23 MPH (depends upon your rear axle ratio); it will hold 4th under deceleration to much lower than this speed range before downshifting to third and then directly to first as you come to a stop.

Currently for 2016 or later (maybe the absolute latest version works OK for 2016 models) the best solution is to either manually turn on the Range module a few seconds after the car is started or build the delay relay circuit so that it automatically turns on a few seconds after start. It is an inconvenience but it still beats the hell out of GM's screwed up V4 torque converter strategy with its associated RPM fluctuations, wear, and ultimately shudder. I would much rather deal with switching on the Range module when I am not using manual mode instead of dealing with a disassembled C7 while the dealer service tech hopefully does a good job of replacing the torque converter and getting everything back together again only to be repeated again in the future.

I wish Range had a module that worked perfectly with no user intervention but for now it is something I will deal with in order to have full automatic mode without the downside of V4 mode.
Thanks for the reply. I did call Range this mourning and they offered to send me a new Beta testing module. I said okay. She also blamed GM for the issue, they they keep changing the electronics. Anyway, I am going to set it up with the on/off switch and just turn on the Range after startup.

Get notified of new replies

To Range Technology

Old 07-17-2017, 12:09 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

I noticed when turning on the Range that it takes about 5-10 seconds for the blue light to stop flashing and go solid. I start the car, let it idle down then switch it on. When i park I turn it off before shutting down. Haven't had one problem with mine, works perfectly. Running in V-8 for 1200 miles last week noticed fuel economy at 27 as opposed to 31 with Range off on previous trips. I do use the throttle so no hyper-miling for me.

(27mpg from a 460hp V-8? Never would have believed it possible)

Last edited by vbdenny; 07-17-2017 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 07-17-2017, 12:15 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Range extension with switch

How my Range is connected

Device hangs on side of coluum
Old 07-17-2017, 12:34 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by vbdenny

(27mpg from a 460hp V-8? Never would have believed it possible)
The first new car I ordered was in the Fall of 1984 when I bought a 1985 Monte Carlo SS with a 180 HP 305CID (5L) V8. My 1985 got the 4 speed OD automatic but during those lower speed limit times it would get 24 MPG on the interstate cruising at a fairly police safe 64 MPH (55 MPH national speed limit). My 2016 Z06 with its 6.2L 650HP engine shows a steady 26 MPG cruising at 80 MPH on the interstate running in V8 mode with the Range.

Progress is great

Quick Reply: Range Technology