Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who else has damaged their splitter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 09:07 AM
Travelor
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Who else has damaged their splitter?

This is my second Corvette GS, first being a C-6. My new 2017 GS came with the Carbon Fiber Package and I have damaged it going into a house drive way. It looked like a nice and gentle incline from the street to the drive - NOT SO as it turned out.

Dealer is telling me that it is irreparable and must be replaced. Cost for the part is quoted as $2400. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone else done this?
Old 08-02-2017, 09:11 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

You will quickly learn how to take driveways at an angle so the tire contacts before the splitter, AND which ones to avoid completely.
I have never damaged my splitter, but there are some places I just will not go.

Also, you might consider replacing the carbon fiber version with the plastic version for the street.
Lots of people have done this, including me.
There is a full 6 inches clearance, which is enormous for a Corvette, and more than your C6.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 08-02-2017 at 11:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TEXHAWK0:
FLATJ (08-03-2017), Yaupon (08-03-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 09:11 AM
Vonfido
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 45 Posts

I hit a curb in the first month I got it - my splitter is carbon flash as is is rest of my GS. I ordered my new splitter from an after market vendor for just under $600 looks perfect
Old 08-02-2017, 10:10 AM
dbintegrity
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I just have a plastic splitter and I am always scraping it going up/down the driveway. A new OEM one on flea bay is 125. or so and I may consider ordering a spare if mine begins to look real bad
Old 08-02-2017, 10:29 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Carbon fiber splitter is above my pay grade, but if it's a legit $2400 and not a "stealership cost", then I'd definitely swap for a poverty splitter. The minute you throw another $2400 at the car, you're gonna be stressing about the next time it gets smashed... Which will be sooner than later. Too much money (for me anyway) to spend on something so likely to get damaged.

My poverty splitter only lasted 1200 miles before it got smoked by a truck retread. GF was driving, but very busy highway and simply nowhere to go but over it. Now when it gets busted up, I yank it and toss another few coats of flat black plastidip on it for next to no cost. It looks great until the next time it gets hosed.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:32 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

You should look into the link below
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...and-sport.html
Old 08-02-2017, 10:35 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I have the $125 or so poverty splitter on my car. I know that the carbon flash or the carbon fiber splitters will suffer greatly from the slightest contact.

Elmer
Old 08-02-2017, 10:37 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fleming23
You should look into the link below
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...and-sport.html
That looks cool but it looks pretty thick, which is gonna make the existing ground clearance problem worse.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:10 AM
beadman
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Travelor
This is my second Corvette GS, first being a C-6. My new 2017 GS came with the Carbon Fiber Package and I have damaged it going into a house drive way. It looked like a nice and gentle incline from the street to the drive - NOT SO as it turned out.

Dealer is telling me that it is irreparable and must be replaced. Cost for the part is quoted as $2400. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone else done this?
Drove my 15 Z for almost 2 years before I cracked it on a curb. Bought a replacement from C7 CARBON FOR $700. Your could buy 3 for what your stealership wants!
Old 08-02-2017, 11:59 AM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

I bumped my poverty (Stage 1) splitter on a curb on Day 4, but I can't use newness as an excuse since I had one on my previous C7 for a year without hitting anything. The few scratches and nicks that resulted weren't bad, so I carefully sanded it with 100-grit sandpaper and followed up with Wipe New. Finer sandpaper may work better, but that's all I had at the time. I applied the Wipe New to other plastic areas like the spats, splash guards, etc. and although a bit pricey it worked well and they claim two-year durability. I'll keep this splitter installed in case it gets bumped again (doubtful) and then I'll might replace it, but if you mung up your poverty splitter try this treatment first before replacing it. Can't hurt.
Attached Images  

Last edited by iclick; 08-02-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:30 PM
PryOpenUr3rdEye
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the poverty too. I have to watch when driving around older parts of Tampa/St. Pete.

My paint sits at 5 inches, splitter around 4, and the bottom of the air dam is at 2.5.

I do not hit the driveway when pulling in/out.

Never realized how high the cars sit from factory until I looked at the above pic.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:06 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
That looks cool but it looks pretty thick, which is gonna make the existing ground clearance problem worse.
So you would rather have the carbon splitter scrape than the plastic skid plate? At least if you hear the plastic scraping you know you can back up and try a different approach/depart angle.

Last edited by fleming23; 08-02-2017 at 02:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ProTEKtMitch (08-09-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 03:55 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I put them on my Z06 because I was having issues with the splitter rubbing on the trailer ramps and trailer while I was moving the car on and off the trailer. They work great for keeping the splitter damage free when the object comes up underneath the splitter but will not do a damned thing for the splitter if you ram it straight into a parking curb.

They are thick and might drag a little more often but dragging and making a sound without any damage is far superior to dragging sometimes and ruining the splitter.

The Stage 2/3 splitter has a retail cost of about $2100 so $2400 isn't a bad estimate although the OP could save some money and purchase the splitter from one of the forum GM parts vendors and installing it himself. It is a simple job to do and can be done with a jack, some jackstands and torx bits. Pretty simple job requiring zero skill level.

Bill
Old 08-03-2017, 02:37 PM
0ProTEKtMitch
Former Vendor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

The plates are 3/8" thick (as thin as I can make them and still get good protection), and are chamfered, to minimize any ground clearance issues. I've sold hundreds of these kits, and I've never had anyone report back that they are scraping any worse, or that they are hitting anywhere that they used to clear.

However, I don't have anything that works with the poverty splitter, only the base models, or the GM stage 2 or 3 aero kits.

Thanks,
Mitch.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:52 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ProTEKtMitch
The plates are 3/8" thick (as thin as I can make them and still get good protection), and are chamfered, to minimize any ground clearance issues. I've sold hundreds of these kits, and I've never had anyone report back that they are scraping any worse, or that they are hitting anywhere that they used to clear.

However, I don't have anything that works with the poverty splitter, only the base models, or the GM stage 2 or 3 aero kits.

Thanks,
Mitch.
Might be something to consider designing for regular cars with no splitter too. The only reason I (and probably a lot of people on here) have the povertly splitter is sacrificial. Cheaper to replace the poverty splitter than repairing/repainting the lower bumper cover. Something like you make that's low profile and still has a leading edge to take impacts would be cool. Sort of a splitter for those who don't like the look of splitters.

Last edited by DAFFYDRUNK; 08-03-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:06 PM
0ProTEKtMitch
Former Vendor

Might be something to consider designing for regular cars with no splitter too. The only reason I (and probably a lot of people on here) have the povertly splitter is sacrificial. Cheaper to replace the poverty splitter than repairing/repainting the lower bumper cover. Something like you make that's low profile and still has a leading edge to take impacts would be cool. Sort of a splitter for those who don't like the look of splitters.
I have them for the non aero equipped cars, as well. They are one of my best selling kits. Here is the link for the topic here on the forum,

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html

And here is the link to the kit on my website.

http://protektskidplates.com/corvett...ase-model.html

Thanks,
Mitch
Old 08-03-2017, 04:37 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ProTEKtMitch
I have them for the non aero equipped cars, as well. They are one of my best selling kits. Here is the link for the topic here on the forum,

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html

And here is the link to the kit on my website.

http://protektskidplates.com/corvett...ase-model.html

Thanks,
Mitch

Cool. Not sure how I missed that. Might have to try one the next time the poverty splitter get smooshed.

Get notified of new replies

To Who else has damaged their splitter?

Old 08-03-2017, 04:38 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Travelor

Anyone else done this?
I have the Stage 2 aero option on my Grand Sport, full length carbon fiber skirts and carbon fiber splitter. Mine are painted carbon flash, a ~$2900 option.

I installed a Scrape Armor Splitter Protector about a month ago and scarped it yesterday leaving a steep entrance into a parking lot. No damage at all to the Carbon Fiber-the Splitter protector took all the abuse! Not cheap, but used on Ferrari's etc and IMO worth the price. If you are going to install a new splitter suggest it's good insurance.

Scrape Armor protector took the abuse and protected the carbon fiber splitter. This is a PDF of the install if interested: http://netwelding.com/Splitter_Protectors.pdf

My Splitter Protector installed-not visible from above. Uses mostly OEM bolts and is made from a Teflon type material. Feels slippery. Protrudes less than 1/4 inch below Splitter.

Last edited by JerryU; 08-03-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:46 PM
0ProTEKtMitch
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JerryU
I have the Stage 2 aero option on my Grand Sport, full length carbon fiber skirts and carbon fiber splitter. Mine are painted carbon flash, a ~$2900 option.

I installed a Scrape Armor Splitter Protector about a month ago and scarped it yesterday leaving a steep entrance into a parking lot. No damage at all to the Carbon Fiber-the Splitter protector took all the abuse! Not cheap, but used on Ferrari's etc and IMO worth the price. If you are going to install a new splitter suggest it's good insurance.

Scrape Armor protector took the abuse and protected the carbon fiber splitter. This is a PDF of the install if interested: http://netwelding.com/Splitter_Protectors.pdf

My Splitter Protector installed-not visible from above. Uses mostly OEM bolts and is made from a Teflon type material. Feels slippery. Protrudes less than 1/4 inch below Splitter.
Check those prices first!

My parts are made from the same stuff, and are $195 from my website.

Thanks,
Mitch
Old 08-03-2017, 10:09 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Fixing a Carbon Fiber splitter is futile....time to get a new one.
The following users liked this post:
ProTEKtMitch (08-03-2017)

Quick Reply: Who else has damaged their splitter?