Sponsored by:

Torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 08:25 AM
tmd937
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bsterling9
For those of us who might be in the market for a used Vette, we sure would like to know what the date is where they transitioned to the new style TC. Based on what the service writer told you, there is a definitive date when they made the change. Anybody know what that date in 2016 might be?
Don’t know the exact dates but mine has a build date of 08-26-15.
The following users liked this post:
bsterling9 (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 08:29 AM
bsterling9
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by tmd937
Don’t know the exact dates but mine has a build date of 08-26-15.
Thank you. That helps. At least we know yours is an early 2016 production.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:41 AM
GaryPitts
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

11-15 builds got a revised TC.
The following 2 users liked this post by GaryPitts:
bsterling9 (12-06-2017), cam30era (12-07-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 09:47 AM
bsterling9
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryPitts
Excellent. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2017, 01:19 PM
Squeaky Wheel
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 239 Posts

I assume you mean 11-15- 15?

Do you (or anyone else) know if the revised TC has put an end to most of these TC issues?
Old 12-07-2017, 08:51 AM
hit&run
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 66 Posts

I know this is the Corvette Forum, but I feel it is somewhat related. Took my Silverado in for similar T/C issues. They call me and said the trans is down almost 2 quarts of fluid !!! No leaks found ... WTF ??? No explanation on where it went and its a year and a half old ? Their "Trans Guy" said its now fine... I have not picked it up yet , any body have any rational for this? I asked if it was burned and they said no, I asked if it was low from the factory and they said probably not...........
Old 12-07-2017, 09:27 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by hit&run
I know this is the Corvette Forum, but I feel it is somewhat related. Took my Silverado in for similar T/C issues. They call me and said the trans is down almost 2 quarts of fluid !!! No leaks found ... WTF ??? No explanation on where it went and its a year and a half old ? Their "Trans Guy" said its now fine... I have not picked it up yet , any body have any rational for this? I asked if it was burned and they said no, I asked if it was low from the factory and they said probably not...........
It doesn't evaporate and although the fluid can appear burned due to either severe transmission overheat or failing clutch packs it doesn't actually burn up 2 quarts without you (and the fire department) being aware.

It either suffered from a self healing leak (unlikely) or it didn't get a proper fill at the factory and wasn't checked at PDI (highly likely). I always check new vehicle fluid levels and several times have found discrepancies; mistakes do occur at the factory and dealerships often assume the factory doesn't make mistakes so the levels are rarely properly checked at PDI.

Of course I hope the guy at the dealership checked it properly. I am not sure about the procedure for the 8L series in the pickup because my previous and current pickups are diesel with the Allison auto which has a very specific check procedure much like our dry sump lube systems; checked at the wrong time/temperature and you will get incorrect results. And an overfilled automatic transmission is not a good thing (leads to foaming, overheating, fluid expulsion through the vent, slippage, etc.) so unless you fully trust the dealership tech pull out your owner's manual and carefully follow the procedure in the manual. The fluid does expand with temperature so it is critical that the transmission fluid level is checked within the operating range specified in the manual.

For the Allison there are two checks, one done cold to ensure the transmission has enough fluid for safe operation in order to reach operating temperatue and then the second is done at operating temperature to make sure it has the correct fill level.

Last edited by NSC5; 12-07-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:27 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Red-C6 of Jax
Make sure you trade it before your 5 years runs out!!!!
Before 100k for sure! I'll probably hit that before the 5, at least I'll try LOL

Quick Reply: Torque converter