Sponsored by:

MDI....... which one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 10:23 AM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Default MDI....... which one?

I'm looking on purchasing an MDI and wanted to get some advise from anyone whom may have one.

I know I need to purchase a service from acdelco.

In the few article that I have been able to find. They are a few years old and call for a lap top with window 7.

Anyone that could give me any advise, experiences and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:34 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

The latest Techline guidelines I could find (July 2017) say Windows 10 64bit is supported.

https://gmdit.com/Files/GM_Dealer_IT...ines_v17-1.pdf

That document explains exactly what PC specs a dealer is expected to meet. None of it is outrageous. Pretty much any modern Windows based laptop that isn't loaded down with a ton of crapware should be able to do the job. You really only need pages 3-6. The rest focuses on network security and isn't really applicable to a home user.

Watch out when buying an MDI. The majority of them are Chinese clones. Quality is hit or miss at best. There's enough legit MDIs on eBay now that the MDI2 is out that it's worth spending a few extra dollars to buy a known good one. Another, albeit pricier, alternative is the Drewtech Mongoose Pro cable. It's officially supported by GM. There's Chinese clones of that too, so again, beware.

If you're going to be reflashing anything, really, really watch your battery voltage. Low voltage and use of shoddy electrically "noisy" chargers are the best way to cause a failed reflash. It won't usually trash a module, but it can be a royal pain to recover from. That's true of pretty much any modern car. Not just GM.

I picked up one of the recommended GM chargers off eBay, but I also do a lot of car hacking.

I don't know if it's gotten any better in the last few years, but try to use the USB or wired ethernet connections on the MDI. Based on my previous experience, the wifi is spotty at best.

Last edited by Jeff V.; 01-31-2018 at 11:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Dale002 (02-01-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 11:57 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Dale002
I'm looking on purchasing an MDI and wanted to get some advise from anyone whom may have one.

I know I need to purchase a service from acdelco.

In the few article that I have been able to find. They are a few years old and call for a lap top with window 7.

Anyone that could give me any advise, experiences and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
In response to the OP's request for comments and background, there is a thread in C6 General related to this, and primarily references the Chinese clone unit from VXDiag, the VCX Nano. This comes with a cracked version of Tech2Win and GDS2. There are units that are USB connection or WIFI connection. Unless you are needing to re-flash or program modules, a subscription is not needed. In the C6 forum, the users there are primarily interested in using Tech2Win, as the cost of the VCX Nano/software is much less than a native Tech2 clone.

For $275, as an experiment I took the plunge and bought the VCX Nano for GM and a refurbished laptop running Win 7. The Nano included the software and a cable. The provided Tech2Win app is installed as a native Win 7 application and when paired with the Nano works just like the stand-alone Tech 2. I currently have this working correctly on my C5 and C6 as well as a few other earlier GM cars. I also have a stand-alone Tech 2 so I can easily compare differences between the two systems, and so far I haven't found any. My interest in this setup is more to the GDS2/MDI funtions for a C7 and a Chevy Cruze.

The included GDS2 app for the later cars runs as a VMWare WinXP virtual machine on the same Win 7 laptop. I am currently having some issues with the VMWare component but am working through those with the help of those who have one running. GDS2 software is used for the 2014 GM cars (as well as specific earlier models) and the VCX Nano is a clone of the MDI module.

My understanding is that the 2018 and later modules require the MDI-2, this supposedly being a unit that offers faster communication when re-flashing. There is another forum member who has purchased a genuine GM MDI and is testing if it is compatible with the cracked software.
The following users liked this post:
Dale002 (02-02-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 12:09 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

I have a Ford/Mazda VCX Nano for my wife's car. I haven't used it extensively, but it seems to work ok for basic diagnostics. One of these days I need to get around to programming a new key fob for her.

I'm extremely interested in that cracked copy of GDS2. It galls me that I have to pay for a subscription to diagnose *one* car. I'd happily pay for a VIN locked, legit piece of OEM equivalent software if one was available. Something similar to Ross Tech VCDS (aka VAG-Com) for VW and Audi cars. That gives you 90% of the capabilities that a dealer has, and it's extremely affordable.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:35 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

I would need to be able to accomplish diagnostic, re flash and reprogram.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:13 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Best to get a legit MDI or Mongoose, and a quality battery maintainer. Midtronics, Schumacher, something like that. Cheaper battery chargers or maintainers can send electrical ripples through the car's system that aren't physically damaging, but are enough to corrupt a reflash operation.

Having the battery maintainer is also nice for when you're sitting in the car going through diagnostics. Your car can likely flatten its battery in 20 minutes or less with the ignition on and the engine off.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:54 AM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by pickleseimer

There is another forum member who has purchased a genuine GM MDI and is testing if it is compatible with the cracked software.

What is a cracked software?
Old 02-02-2018, 09:26 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Some of the cloned MDIs have copies of GDS2 that were hacked so they don't need to have an active subscription.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:55 AM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
Some of the cloned MDIs have copies of GDS2 that were hacked so they don't need to have an active subscription.
That's what I though but wasn't sure.
Was doing some other reading on the MDI and some are saying that both clones and real are being built in China by Bosch.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:53 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

I've seen legit MDIs with "Made in China" stickers on them. Most electronics are made in China these days, so it's hardly surprising.

GM, Bosch and all the other manufacturers only have themselves to blame. CANBus and the J2534 spec were supposed to end this overpriced, proprietary scantool nonsense. But rather than embrace it, they just locked down their software to only work with 'approved' devices and subscription based services. I think Toyota is the only OEM that really does it right. They have supported, recommended devices, but their software will work with any J2534 compliant interface.

It's just a con to drive independent shops out of business and force people to go with their preferred tool vendors and franchised dealerships.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:47 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Quote: It's just a con to drive independent shops out of business and force people to go with their preferred tool vendors and franchised dealerships.
Jeff V. is offline Report Post

I agreed, You would think it would be included in the vehicle cost.
I think the mongoose would be a decent choice. I don't really want to buy a used MDI, never know where it's been. LOL!
Old 02-05-2018, 04:33 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Not sure how much cloned machines sell for, but genuine Bosch MDI-2 devices can be purchased from GM special service tools for $750.

Last edited by erick_e; 02-05-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:10 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Clones seem to go for $220-350. It looks like there's a handful of genuine MDI-1s coming on the market as technicians upgrade to MDI-2s. I've seen those in the $350-500 range.

I haven't seen a solid list of which cars require the MDI-2. Supposedly it's mandatory for the GM Global-B electrical architecture, but I can't find much solid info about what cars are on that architecture.

If it's anything like prior scan tools, I'd think the MDI-1 would work on all C7s, but then whatever car comes after will require an MDI-2. Anyone with a 2018 or newer C7 will probably want to check and see if the MDI-1 works before spending money on one though.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:50 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

I am currently using this one, $119 as of the time of this posting:

Amazon Amazon

With either the above item or a genuine Bosch MDI, you also will need a PC, and if you want to flash/program modules an AcDelco subscription. If you don't need to flash modules, then no subscription needed with the above item. The unit I have covers GM vehicles up through and including 2016. Works on my Chevy Cruze and C7 using MDI/GDS2, also works as a PC-based Tech 2 on my C5, C6, and Hummer H3.

Last edited by pickleseimer; 02-05-2018 at 05:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-05-2018, 06:15 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Clones seem to go for $220-350. It looks like there's a handful of genuine MDI-1s coming on the market as technicians upgrade to MDI-2s. I've seen those in the $350-500 range.

I haven't seen a solid list of which cars require the MDI-2. Supposedly it's mandatory for the GM Global-B electrical architecture, but I can't find much solid info about what cars are on that architecture.

If it's anything like prior scan tools, I'd think the MDI-1 would work on all C7s, but then whatever car comes after will require an MDI-2. Anyone with a 2018 or newer C7 will probably want to check and see if the MDI-1 works before spending money on one though.
The use of an MDI or other pass thru device, and GDS software is required for troubleshooting all GM platforms starting from 2014. From 2009 through 2013 the standalone Tech 2 could be used on some models while they transitioned to Global Diagnostics (GDS).

The MDI will work on all C7s, however the MDI-2 is much faster when reprogramming modules.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:56 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

I am currently using this one, $119 as of the time of this posting:

https://www.amazon.com/VXDIAG-Tech2W...xdiag+vcx+nano

With either the above item or a genuine Bosch MDI, you also will need a PC, and if you want to flash/program modules an AcDelco subscription. If you don't need to flash modules, then no subscription needed with the above item. The unit I have covers GM vehicles up through and including 2016. Works on my Chevy Cruze and C7 using MDI/GDS2, also works as a PC-based Tech 2 on my C5, C6, and Hummer H3.
Have you done any programming with the unit? In a previous post you mention that you are experiencing some issue using it on GDS2, Were you able to work that out?
Old 02-05-2018, 08:04 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Here, rather than just guessing what cars the MDI is used for, refer to this GM chart for specific years, makes, models:

Get notified of new replies

To MDI....... which one?

Old 02-05-2018, 08:07 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dale002
Have you done any programming with the unit? In a previous post you mention that you are experiencing some issue using it on GDS2, Were you able to work that out?
Yes, I was. It was specific to my setup, and possibly a corrupted file. Working fine now. Was about to give up when another forum member Dano523 stepped up and offered his expertise.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:31 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Here, rather than just guessing what cars the MDI is used for, refer to this GM chart for specific years, makes, models
Useful as that is, it still does not answer the question of which cars, if any, specifically require the MDI-2
Old 02-05-2018, 09:50 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Useful as that is, it still does not answer the question of which cars, if any, specifically require the MDI-2
The MDI is supposed to be supported until the introduction of the Global B platform, where the MDI-2 will be necessary.

Quick Reply: MDI....... which one?