Sponsored by:

Apple CarPlay problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 11:58 AM
Leonrojo
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Apple CarPlay problem

I have this intermittent but very annoying issue where carplay will not engage when connected. I have a 17 and use the center console usb. Is there a fix for this? I have a 7plus with the latest firmware

Last edited by Leonrojo; 02-22-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:02 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

It could be your USB cord. Some have had problems with the cheaper versions. If you're good there, try removing your phone battery for approx. 30 seconds, replace, let your phone reboot, hook 'er up, and try it again. That's worked for many of us. If that don't work uninstall the app, and re-install. It that ain't it, I'm stumped. Good luck.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:07 PM
rfruscel
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Leonrojo
I have this intermittent but very annoying issue where carplay will not engage when connected. I have a 17 and use the center console usb. Is there a fix for this? I have a 7plus with the latest firmware
Same here. I sometimes have to disconnect/reconnect the cable many times before it works.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:11 PM
Carlos Thomas
Instructor

Received 215 Likes on 73 Posts

I have seen people run into problems with various cars. Many times they are using a 3rd party connection cable. Go with Apple. For the Corvette, if you are putting it in the center armrest, use the smaller cable. I put a link below. The challenge you get is that some cables cannot connect & charge at the same time. You need an OEM Apple cable to get the job done right. $19 and call it a day.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...-05-m?fnode=97
Old 02-22-2018, 12:25 PM
Millerrock
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

You have to use an apple cord or you won’t have luck, all the manufactures are doing this.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 12:35 PM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

I have the same problem. But it doesn't matter for me as I think CarPlay sucks because: (1) it's hard to navigate music, and (2) Apple Maps *completely* blows and will send you on the worst, most time-wasting routes. I stopped using CarPlay and instead use Waze on my phone for nav, and music downloaded on a USB and permanently plugged into the car.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:45 PM
Carlos Thomas
Instructor

For navigating music, I use SIRI. Play Billie Jean or Play podcast from Billy Graham. I use Apple Maps in cars with Apple Play because it is integrated into the car. I also use SIRI. Navigate to the nearest In-Out-Burger. On road trips, I will use Apple Maps & WAZE. So I get the sound of WAZE coming thru the speaker (Police Reported Ahead) and the visual of Apple Maps.

I actually enjoy using Apple CarPlay. I just wish WAZE would be an APP that CarPlay allowed to use.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:58 PM
2016C7.paul
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Leonrojo
I agree with the guys above on using a genuine Apple USB cord. I bought a 3' one at Fry's (Arlington) for under $20. Also, check to make sure you are on the latest iOS (11.1.2).
Old 02-22-2018, 02:07 PM
2016C7.paul
Racer

Originally Posted by red62vette
I have the same problem. But it doesn't matter for me as I think CarPlay sucks because: (1) it's hard to navigate music, and (2) Apple Maps *completely* blows and will send you on the worst, most time-wasting routes. I stopped using CarPlay and instead use Waze on my phone for nav, and music downloaded on a USB and permanently plugged into the car.
Agreed. In fact, I contacted Apple Support and let them know that if they don't release the API to Waze and Google maps such that they are able to be broadcast on ApplePlay, that I will be switching to Android soon. They never responded to me.

I have been with Apple since iPhone3 but this is a deal-breaker. I'm planning on switching to a Galaxy S8 or S9 (coming out in the next few weeks). Not sure I want to pay out the nose for an S9 and I figure S8 prices will see further discounts after the S9 is released.
The following users liked this post:
vbdenny (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 02:14 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos Thomas
I actually enjoy using Apple CarPlay. I just wish WAZE would be an APP that CarPlay allowed to use.
Amen, but I don't expect that to ever happen since Waze was purchased by Google some time ago. Someone reported that they had a beta test version that worked w/ Android Auto, so that will more than likely happen soon.

I doubt they'll make it available for Apple Car Play as a result. Waze is all I use in the insane traffic of metro Wash DC. Apple Maps just doesn't cut it for avoiding gridlock.

CarPlay does work well in my new '18 w/ a 6' long Amazon lightning cable routed under the console edge to the USB port inside.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-22-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:29 PM
2016C7.paul
Racer

This thread inspired me to contact Apple Support via chat to discuss the WAZE issue. Chat stream below:

Thursday, Feb 22, 2018 01:20 PM
Duration 18 minutes 18 seconds

Komal

Thanks for contacting iOS. My name is Komal. How can I help you?

Paul

Hi Komal, I am trying to find out if there is any progress being made regarding Apple CarPlay and Waze/Google maps.

Komal

Hi there, Paul! I hope you are doing well today! Please allow me a few moments to look over your case so that I can help you efficiently!

Komal

I understand that you are trying to check on the process for the CarPlay with the Maps app/Waze app. I definitely understand your concern and I will be happy to help you out with this!

Komal

I am looking into this here now

Komal

Just a few moments please

System Message

Just a few more moments. Your Advisor will be right with you.

System Message

Thank you for your patience. Your Advisor will be with you shortly.

Komal

Paul, are you still with me/

Paul

Yes

Komal

Thank you for your patience! I did check here and I was not able to get any updates on this. The best advice that I can give to you at this time is to keep your iPhone updated whenever you see the option to update the software

Komal

That would be the only way to actually test it out since there are no current updates here at this time.

Paul

Ok, thanks for checking. My understanding is that Apple has not released the CarPlay API to 3rd party developers yet.

Paul

Unfortunately, this is a deal-breaker for me. I will be switching over to Android in the coming weeks.

Komal

Yes, that is correct. I would advise for you to also leave feedback for the developers and engineers at www.apple.com/feedback so that they can look into this more. So sorry for the inconvenience!

Paul

I have done that and have never heard any feedback.

Paul

But, thanks for your time.

Paul

Goodbye
Old 02-22-2018, 02:37 PM
Carlos Thomas
Instructor

I use Apple Maps in Chevy's and is not a deal breaker enough to switch to Android. When driving a Corvette...having no maps is sometimes a great thing. Just focus on driving. I think using Siri is key when using Apple CarPlay. I try not to touch the screen at all. And if you turn on WAZE and have it stored under the armrest...you get the audio alerts, which is the main reason I want WAZE.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:38 PM
Carlos Thomas
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2016C7.paul
I agree with the guys above on using a genuine Apple USB cord. I bought a 3' one at Fry's (Arlington) for under $20. Also, check to make sure you are on the latest iOS (11.1.2).
The latest release of iOS is 11.2.6
Old 02-22-2018, 02:46 PM
2016C7.paul
Racer

Originally Posted by Carlos Thomas
The latest release of iOS is 11.2.6
This is what I see on my phone. I guess Apple has sabotaged me as payback for my posts in this thread.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:21 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Getting back to the OP's original post, other than the cord, a bug I have found in carplay is that if you are listening to a song via Apple Music, you need to pause the song before shutting off the car because many times but not all, when the car is restarted for example while getting gas at a gas station, the song will start playing with no volume. My go to fix if I forgot to press pause before shutting off the car is to go to any radio station and let the radio play for maybe 10 minutes, then go back to Car Play and see if the audio will work again. Restarting the phone will work too, but that would involve removing the phone from the compartment behind the screen and that's too much work while driving. lol
Old 02-22-2018, 03:31 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

If it's like AA is it is not the price of the USB cord that's the issue, it whether or not the cable is a data cable or a charge only cable. AA needs a data cable and I can only assume that CarPlay needs it too.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:07 PM
Topsarge12R
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

I always ensure that the USB cable is from Apple. I’ve used the cheapo charging cables in the past...they always seem to generate what you described exactly. Some last longer than others, but the Apple cables seem to last a very long time.

Get notified of new replies

To Apple CarPlay problem

Old 02-22-2018, 04:11 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

The problem is with Car Play, not with your Corvette's infotainment system. It is annoying. One way to mitigate the problem is to unplug your phone every time you shut the car off.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:35 PM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by 2016C7.paul
This thread inspired me to contact Apple Support via chat to discuss the WAZE issue. Chat stream below:

Paul

Unfortunately, this is a deal-breaker for me. I will be switching over to Android in the coming weeks
Paul

Goodbye
I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't really care if you go to Android.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:47 PM
2016C7.paul
Racer

Originally Posted by speed4tu
I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't really care if you go to Android.
No doubt. That's my point. And, one more reason to buy Android.

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay problem