Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Stingray - Sick Engine

Old 04-15-2018, 08:51 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
There are about 18,000 new car dealerships in the U.S. Those dealerships do many more than a million customer service events every day. Statistically, over 90% of these customers are satisfied with that service. Can you please explain why every time an anecdotal example of a customer being dissatisfied with service on their Corvette appears in this forum, you declare the system broken?

It is certainly interesting that people with absolutely no service experience are alway the ones who just know there is a better way to do it. If in fact one of these folks really does have a better idea, I would like to hear it. I do have a lot of service experience and would love to be a major investor.
I understand that since you were in management, you probably don't see how small errors in judgement (typically by techs or service writers) create the slow motion train wreck that way too many people experience. In fact, that is entirely consistent with the majority of managers. I'm not declaring the system broken, I'm declaring it barely functional. Very few people return to the dealership once their warranty expires, and almost everyone dreads a trip to the dealer, warranty or not.
Logically, I know that I shouldn't be surprised that after as many posts of mine (I know you have read), you would imply I don't have any service experience. But, since that kind of thing is also entirely consistent with auto managers, ill just accept that for you, figuring these kinds of things out, is like solving a rubiks cube in a dark room.
I will keep in mind that you are sitting on some risk capital though ...
Old 04-15-2018, 10:39 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,144 Likes on 998 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
I understand that since you were in management, you probably don't see how small errors in judgement (typically by techs or service writers) create the slow motion train wreck that way too many people experience. In fact, that is entirely consistent with the majority of managers. I'm not declaring the system broken, I'm declaring it barely functional. Very few people return to the dealership once their warranty expires, and almost everyone dreads a trip to the dealer, warranty or not.
Logically, I know that I shouldn't be surprised that after as many posts of mine (I know you have read), you would imply I don't have any service experience. But, since that kind of thing is also entirely consistent with auto managers, ill just accept that for you, figuring these kinds of things out, is like solving a rubiks cube in a dark room.
I will keep in mind that you are sitting on some risk capital though ...
Here is the problem with your analysis that you do not account for. More than 90% of the service events produce a completely satisfied customer response. More than 50% of the Corvette customers continue to have their cars serviced at a Chevrolet dealership after the warranty expires. Far from a "barely functional" situation. Once you find a little more life experience "Grasshopper" even you too could become enlightened.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:46 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Here is the problem with your analysis that you do not account for. More than 90% of the service events produce a completely satisfied customer response. More than 50% of the Corvette customers continue to have their cars serviced at a Chevrolet dealership after the warranty expires. Far from a "barely functional" situation. Once you find a little more life experience "Grasshopper" even you too could become enlightened.
There are so many problems with your statement I don't even know where to start. I suppose I should start at the beginning. Who does the polling for customer satisfaction ? The dealership ? lol. The manufacturer ? Or an unrelated third party without any conflict of interest with the results ...
Old 04-15-2018, 10:59 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Sorry for your misfortune. Understanding all the rigamarole when stuff happens, as a minimum, IMO, the dealership should offer you a loaner for the time your car is down.

It's not like you bought a $12K "LS Spark Hatchback".
Old 04-15-2018, 11:13 AM
ram_g
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Where does the Texas Lemon Law coverage information come from? I also have read that on this forum but having looked at the Texas DMV website, I cannot find that in writing. It would be interesting to know if that is a fact.

The Texas DMV website has glossy “consumerized” information that may be accurate for most transactions but is incomplete and sometimes inaccurate for issues that are somewhat out of the ordinary. I’ve learned to dig deeper for the facts.

Regarding the lemon law, it is covered by the Texas Occupations Code Title 14 Subchapter M Sections 2301.601 - 2301.613. See this link (you’ll have to scroll down a ways): http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...tm/OC.2301.htm

The key is that per the definitions the law applies to anyone who purchased the vehicle from a “license holder” where elsewhere the term “license holder” is defined to be pretty much a Texas dealer.

BTW I am not a lawyer and I’ve never had to deal with the lemon law (touch wood). But I have built, registered, and drive a kit car here in Texas and learned not to rely on the DMV website but to go directly to the statutes.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:26 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

There are so many problems with your statement I don't even know where to start. I suppose I should start at the beginning. Who does the polling for customer satisfaction ? The dealership ? lol. The manufacturer ? Or an unrelated third party without any conflict of interest with the results ...
If you are going to restructure the entire service industry in your own plan, you should probably know the simple stuff. Look it up.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:49 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ram_g

The Texas DMV website has glossy “consumerized” information that may be accurate for most transactions but is incomplete and sometimes inaccurate for issues that are somewhat out of the ordinary. I’ve learned to dig deeper for the facts.

Regarding the lemon law, it is covered by the Texas Occupations Code Title 14 Subchapter M Sections 2301.601 - 2301.613. See this link (you’ll have to scroll down a ways): http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...tm/OC.2301.htm

The key is that per the definitions the law applies to anyone who purchased the vehicle from a “license holder” where elsewhere the term “license holder” is defined to be pretty much a Texas dealer.

BTW I am not a lawyer and I’ve never had to deal with the lemon law (touch wood). But I have built, registered, and drive a kit car here in Texas and learned not to rely on the DMV website but to go directly to the statutes.
I read what you reference. Every state has a similar law regulating the activities of dealers, manufacturers, etc within their state. Every new car dealer would be a license holder in some state. There is no mention of exclusivity of Texas dealers and the OP was the purchaser and person causing title to be issued in Texas.

I am not sure we have yet discovered the absolute answer. All Lemon Law cases in all states that have such a statute are in fact against the manufacturer...not the dealer. GM is obviously licensed to do business in Texas, we have a car registered in Texas, and we have a resident of Texas owning the car. Still a great question.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:00 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

If you are going to restructure the entire service industry in your own plan, you should probably know the simple stuff. Look it up.
I do know the simple stuff, I just wanted you to say it, you were wise not to.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:02 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

I found the following stipulation to be very interesting.

"The 30 days described by Subsection (a)(3) do not include any period during which the manufacturer or distributor lends the owner a comparable motor vehicle while the owner's vehicle is being repaired by a franchised dealer".

Maybe that's why I had heard Tx lemon law was so difficult to utilize.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 04-15-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:07 PM
ram_g
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I read what you reference. Every state has a similar law regulating the activities of dealers, manufacturers, etc within their state. Every new car dealer would be a license holder in some state. There is no mention of exclusivity of Texas dealers and the OP was the purchaser and person causing title to be issued in Texas.

I am not sure we have yet discovered the absolute answer. All Lemon Law cases in all states that have such a statute are in fact against the manufacturer...not the dealer. GM is obviously licensed to do business in Texas, we have a car registered in Texas, and we have a resident of Texas owning the car. Still a great question.
Ok, how about this:
https://www.rossandmatthews.com/brochure-lemonlaw.html
or
http://www.safemotorist.com/Texas/Vehicles/recalls.aspx

Neither is any sort of official site but they both contain the statement
Effective June 19, 1999, the Legislature limited the Lemon Law to vehicles purchased or leased from Texas licensed dealers or lessors.
To be clear, I have no dog in this hunt. If the OP is able to lemon law his car, that’s grand. I got interested in the subject after reading other posts warning folks in Texas about the pitfalls of buying cars from out of state mega dealers, and after a bit of research I would tend to agree. YMMV.
The following users liked this post:
JALLEN4 (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 01:32 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

And that is why I posted the info above about the Mississippi owner who bought from our vendor dealer, Kerbeck,* and had to pursue his lemon law course of action IN NEW JERSEY. And Dave at Kerbeck was quite helpful to him, as were other dealers who serviced the car to provide info to GM to fill out the history trail of the car.

* Post 29

Last edited by AORoads; 04-15-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:14 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Ok, how about this:
https://www.rossandmatthews.com/brochure-lemonlaw.html
or
http://www.safemotorist.com/Texas/Vehicles/recalls.aspx

Neither is any sort of official site but they both contain the statement

To be clear, I have no dog in this hunt. If the OP is able to lemon law his car, that’s grand. I got interested in the subject after reading other posts warning folks in Texas about the pitfalls of buying cars from out of state mega dealers, and after a bit of research I would tend to agree. YMMV.
Now that appears to be pretty definitive. Thanks for the work. You would need to be out of your mind to go out of state if you knew this ahead of time. Can you imagine trying to hire a lawyer and go through the process living thousand of mile away from the jurisdiction?
Old 04-15-2018, 02:16 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

I do know the simple stuff, I just wanted you to say it, you were wise not to.
Since you know, why don’t you tell us the name of the firm?
Old 04-15-2018, 02:20 PM
Z068
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

mary.barra@gm.com

My advise, find a consultant. I am in the middle of a negotiation and probable litigation with the insurer.

Our 2105 was wrecked, long story short, it took 135 days to repair. After we got it back, I hired a consultant to produce a diminished value report. It is unbelievable what your (our) rights are and how little we all know about them.

We were sent a check by the insured for 4050.00 for "loss of use." My consultant instructed me to keep the check, don't cash or deposit. He is going to ask for 150.00 daily. He produced data showing it isn't possible to rent a Vette for any less than that. There are no limits to loss of use (in Arizona).

His diminished value report is essentially 30 percent of the retail value of the vehicle.

Point being, don't allow a large corporation bully you into submission.

I provided you Mary Barra's email. I went down that rabbit hole, I was given an "Executive file" or whatever they call it. They were really no help. They did offer up a months payment. I told them we paid cash. I was told, if I offer proof that I bought the car and still own it, they would still make the "value of one payment" in a check. I told them to keep it if thats all they are willing to do for a loyal customer who has been without their car for 135 days. I was then offered 1000.00 certificate for "accessories."

My response was "since I'm not planning on being a Corvette owner any more, keep that as well"

Sour Grapes? Probably...135 days, think about that one.

I cannot imaging NOT using a consultant now. 400.00 FLAT FEE.

To add; He reviewed the repair bill in detail. He discovered that the GM dealer used an aftermarket radiator and a/c condenser. He visually inspected to verify this. They are replacing them both with GM original parts. CONSULTANT!!!

They also did not perform a 4 wheel alignment...CONSULTANT!!!

Last edited by Z068; 04-15-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:32 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Since you know, why don’t you tell us the name of the firm?
Mostly because I asked you to do it, and partially because I've lost interest in this discussion with you.
Apparently, you believe that when someone like the OP is getting hosed by the system, the proper response is lemon law. I believe he shouldn't be getting hosed by the system. Big difference.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:20 PM
blue max
Burning Brakes

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don’t think the OP is covered under any lemon law. Reason being, Texas lemon law only covers cars purchased from Texas dealers AND registered in Texas. My guess is that the dealer where it’s at now and GM both know this, so there’s really no incentive for them to hurry.

I too suggest not waiting too long before consulting a lawyer.

Not necessarily good advice. The car was purchased in NJ and is governed by the NJ lemon laws Other than getting a lawyer. Trying to negotiate with a professional at GM against you as not is a losing situation. Some people say once you get a lawyer you have lost. That is simply not true
Thunder22 (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 06:41 PM
Star129
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Updates soon. I hope

I was told the car was on a lift. I hope to have updates soon. Thanks for all the info.
CptCvMan (04-16-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 2018 Stingray - Sick Engine

Old 04-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm pretty sure you would be under the NJ lemon law since that is where it was purchased and you would have to use a lawyer that handles NJ (I know a good one if you need it). If they buy back the car, you would have to return it to the selling dealer.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:08 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don’t think the OP is covered under any lemon law. Reason being, Texas lemon law only covers cars purchased from Texas dealers AND registered in Texas. My guess is that the dealer where it’s at now and GM both know this, so there’s really no incentive for them to hurry.

I too suggest not waiting too long before consulting a lawyer.
it's covered under NJ lemon law.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:05 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Agree, and that's likely a blessing. The NJ lemon law is more than likely a lot more generous than Texas.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 Stingray - Sick Engine