Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash trim issue

Old 08-29-2018, 03:28 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Default ^^^^

I'm thinking it's a supplier, materials and installation methods, or, a batch issue.

Mines a 2017, built in August 2016. It sat in the sun at a Chev. dealer in Rochester, NY, for 12 months. Then, it sat in the sun for 2 months at a Chev. dealer in Houston, Texas. I bought it new, and has been garaged since. No issues with mine.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 08-29-2018 at 03:29 AM.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:04 AM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

This has been an on going issue with the 3LT interior since the C6. (do a search) So after 15 model years of 3LT interiors GM has yet to address this quality issue with the supplier. Honestly after hearing and seeing this type of crap almost on a daily basis why would anyone buy a GM car that costs near six figures. Stuff like this is totally ridiculous and should have been sorted out long ago. Why buy a car from a Company that chooses to ignore quality issues.
The following users liked this post:
LuisZ51 (05-21-2019)
Old 08-29-2018, 01:24 PM
halp
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Dealer just called that my new dash is installed. Left it there Monday at 11 AM and it is done at noon on Wednesday. Sounds about right from what I have read on line for repair time. Will pick it up later today. Check for look, rattles, and that everything works.
Hope it is all behind me now. It will hurt when the bill comes in, but that's life.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:00 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by C5Driver
This has been an on going issue with the 3LT interior since the C6. (do a search) So after 15 model years of 3LT interiors GM has yet to address this quality issue with the supplier. Honestly after hearing and seeing this type of crap almost on a daily basis why would anyone buy a GM car that costs near six figures. Stuff like this is totally ridiculous and should have been sorted out long ago. Why buy a car from a Company that chooses to ignore quality issues.
We switched to Toyota/Lexus for our grocery getters 30 years ago because of so many problems with GM. That was the best move we've ever made.

But when it comes to sports cars, we pay near six figures for a Corvette because similar performance with (maybe) better quality from another brand would cost about twice as much.
Maintenance would be even worse.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:38 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,826 Posts

^^^
Well said Jim. As I mentioned above I have the 3LT dash problem. Does it **** me off? Not really. Every model of car has its own set of issues that come up. My Nissan 350z 12 years ago needed a replacement transmission and two soft tops replaced under warranty.

While I agree Japanese manufacturers have better quality to some extent, I hypothesize the large majority of those owners don't pay attention to defects the way us car enthusiasts do and discuss in forums drawing attention to them.

I was riding in my real estate agents 1 year Lexus GS450h a few weeks ago and pointed out her center dash console was sagging slightly down on the right side and was loose. She said she never noticed LOL.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:51 PM
JayhawkCPA
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
It's ironic that you pay thousands for the upgrade 3LT leather (though some question it's even an upgrade) for what? The Risk that your dash will end up like one above. I don't get it.

I don't think GM has ever made covered dash pieces that don't do this, which is why I stayed away from it.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:14 PM
halp
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Picked up my car. New dash looks great. Everything works OK. Went for a ride and no rattles. Will watch it close. Have not heard it happening on any that have been replaced.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:21 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

I am getting IR 80 tint on Friday (same as air 80 ) We will see if it stops or at least slows down the rate it is dying... I really wish there was an easy fix that did not require the whole dash to be ripped apart...

At $200 it is only $100 more than a fold up window screen that I guarantee I will stop using within a month...
Old 08-30-2018, 08:49 AM
hangman
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
GM vs Toyota:

Today's mail brought a letter from Toyota saying that her dashboard may become cracked or sticky if exposed to high temps/humidity/sunlight. Obviously not a safety issue, just appearance. Hers is still fine and none of our friends with Toyotas have mentioned any problem.
But they are going to warranty the dash for 10 years from date of sale or November 2020, whichever is later. No mileage limit.
Yup, I also have a 2011 Toyota Sienna, which was purchased in 2010. I recently received a letter from Toyota stating that they have recently noticed that there were many repairs for the switch in the overhead console to open the sunroof. So they decided to extend the warranty for that overhead console to 10 years, unlimited miles. Keep in mind this is not a safety issue or anything like that, but yet they just decided to extend the warranty of an item because it has received more repairs than they expected so they decided to extend the warranty for that item on ALL their vehicles that uses that switch, even if it was way out of warranty like my 2011 model. This is just Brilliant in Toyota's part, because they are not just building a reputation, they are also most likely securing more future sales of their vehicles. Guess what I bought recent when it was time to get another van... Toyota.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:44 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,078 Likes on 1,729 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Feel bad for you guys that are having problems with your 3LT interiors! I purchased a 2017 Z06 with 3LT with a build date of June of 2017. I have no problems yet but SUX that I have to look at the dashboard every time I get into my car to see if any shrinkage is happening. I will however deal with it if it happens even though I am hoping it doesn't. DID GM EVER ADDRESS THIS PROBLEM IN LATER C7 MODEL YEARS? Do love my C7 3LT interior hope it stays together!

Last edited by Always Red Dave; 08-30-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:30 PM
Nealr
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2017 3lt Grand Sport is going in Wednesday for a new dash
Old 05-21-2019, 02:30 PM
Citizenworld
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have this exact issue on my recently acquired 2015 Z51 with 3LT. The separation is happening around the air vent like in your pictures, as well as some lifting at the trim edges and above the passenger airbag on the red portions of the dash. I don't know how well the previous owner took care of the car, but I'm sure s/he didn't baby it like I have since purchase. Already with a few applications of a quality (Chemical Guys) leather conditioner the rest of the leather looks and feels much better. I'll see about getting my dealer to quote a repair on this, and give an update as to how GM is dealing with the "goodwill" gesture these days. I'm on a GM extended warranty so I'm not too hopeful about getting much for free, but we'll see.
Attached Images      
Old 05-21-2019, 04:29 PM
djbelt
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes. My 2016 Spice Red Package suffered the same problem. It was replaced under warranty in November 2018.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:48 PM
Citizenworld
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Citizenworld
I have this exact issue on my recently acquired 2015 Z51 with 3LT. The separation is happening around the air vent like in your pictures, as well as some lifting at the trim edges and above the passenger airbag on the red portions of the dash. I don't know how well the previous owner took care of the car, but I'm sure s/he didn't baby it like I have since purchase. Already with a few applications of a quality (Chemical Guys) leather conditioner the rest of the leather looks and feels much better. I'll see about getting my dealer to quote a repair on this, and give an update as to how GM is dealing with the "goodwill" gesture these days. I'm on a GM extended warranty so I'm not too hopeful about getting much for free, but we'll see.
I heard back from the dealer a week after bringing it in to have the dash looked at. The answer is that cost of parts and install would be $3,600 to replace. After submitting to GM they agreed to cover about $2,000 of it leaving the cost to me at about $1,700 including tax etc. of course I’m seriously disappointed given this isn’t really something that should happen at <27k miles (ever?) and now I need to put some seriously thought into where that amount of $$$ gets prioritized on things I want to do to the car. At a minimum I tinted the front windshield with a good FormulaOne Stratos To reduce further damage.

For those of you who have done the repair/replacement, was it worth doing? Any issues afterwards?
Old 05-31-2019, 06:00 PM
smajicek
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

This happened to my 2014 3LT about a year after I got it and it was covered because it was under the 3 year warranty. I do also have the 7 year BTB warranty but that does not cover things like that. When the dealer replaced my dash I had my windshield tinted with 50% and here I am 4 years later and it still looks like new. The sun UV rays is the culprit on these dashes besides the quality that we were sold.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:35 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,826 Posts

Originally Posted by Citizenworld
I heard back from the dealer a week after bringing it in to have the dash looked at. The answer is that cost of parts and install would be $3,600 to replace. After submitting to GM they agreed to cover about $2,000 of it leaving the cost to me at about $1,700 including tax etc. of course I’m seriously disappointed given this isn’t really something that should happen at <27k miles (ever?) and now I need to put some seriously thought into where that amount of $$$ gets prioritized on things I want to do to the car. At a minimum I tinted the front windshield with a good FormulaOne Stratos To reduce further damage.

For those of you who have done the repair/replacement, was it worth doing? Any issues afterwards?
My dealer did a great job. No rattles or damage to other parts. I had it in valet mode and watched the guy do a test drive for 10 minutes over some rough pavement and speed bumps to check for rattles. He didn't take her over 3000rpm the whole time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dash trim issue