Sponsored by:

Car check - Hopefully last one - any red flags

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 02:16 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by hope2
If you like it, it's worth maybe 42k. For me, no warranty, 15 16 17's are close in price. 2016 is the sweet spot right now. I would pass. Like the man above said, yellow/tan doesn't help it. Doesn't matter if your buying or selling, it's a fact.

Don't fall in love, zillions of these for sale.
Holy crap. Back to the color again. The OP might actually LIKE the color since he is looking at the car. He can neogiate the price. If they don't accept he moves on. Maybe the color actually works in his favor.

Last edited by Vet Interested; 08-18-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:24 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,107 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
The thing that I question, and it may be nothing, is I don't see any oil changes until the end of the CarFax report. IIRC in '14 GM didn't call for the 500 miles first oil change in the Z51's, but I don't see any. Stingray, don't let that scare you off the car, but it's just something that caught my eye. Good luck, and I'm one that thinks yellow, and Kalahari look good together.
My Chevy dealer doesn’t report to Carfax so none of my oil changes or maintenance showed on Carfax except for one time I used Jiffy Lube ( no comments please ☠️ ). So it looked like I drove 70 k miles with one oil change at 44k miles.

Of course it also didnt show the 1800 dollar damage and quarter panel replacement I paid out of pocket for since the driver who backed in to it paid me in cash.

So no Carfax is not the end all. Inspect carefully
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (08-19-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 05:54 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
These guys have way to many nice vehicles over there to be pedaling a bs flood car.
There's a Maserati in the showroom.
If there's a problem with this outfit, its that pretty much everything is somewhat over priced, which is normal for Houston.
Thank you for trying. Maybe if you get board early in the week or need some more popcorn, you will find yourself there again when it return

The seller said he talked to the owner and the splitter and skirts are not real carbon fiber, they just look like it. Not sure what that means. Overlay? And those duck wings are screwed into the spoiler, I would need to get a new one if I don't like it; which i don't.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:15 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Received 666 Likes on 275 Posts

That one seems to have all the boxes checked for you. Go for it!
Old 08-18-2018, 07:08 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
Thank you for trying. Maybe if you get board early in the week or need some more popcorn, you will find yourself there again when it return

The seller said he talked to the owner and the splitter and skirts are not real carbon fiber, they just look like it. Not sure what that means. Overlay? And those duck wings are screwed into the spoiler, I would need to get a new one if I don't like it; which i don't.
They said they would call me directly once it was back on the premises. Ill stop if I see it before they call. I go by there all the time.
I was told the original owner traded it on a Z06 they had, and that its basically like a new car.
Speaking for myself, if there's aftermarket stuff bolted to it, then its nowhere near being a new car.
In my book that means a car that needs work.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:47 PM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

Yellow and Kalahari? That's a combo few will like. Might be tough to resell.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:41 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet Interested

Holy crap. Back to the color again. The OP might actually LIKE the color since he is looking at the car. He can neogiate the price. If they don't accept he moves on. Maybe the color actually works in his favor.
Exactly my point if your read my comment. Buying or Selling. He says he likes the color, and that is fine, but the fact is less people do so therefore deducts from value.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:57 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

You guys are out of your minds if you think this color combo is going to effect the cars value.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:14 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

The rear spoiler will need to be replaced because I really don't like the Z06 style spoiler. And the add-ons the original owner put on were drilled into the original spoiler.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:15 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
Your "spotters" should try to ascertain whether the 2014 z51 has the original co-cast brake rotors or have been upgraded to the newer two-piece rotors. Shouldn't be hard to see, old is dull, new is shiny. GM did this because, well, nobody likes a pedal that drops to the floor after repeated hard braking.

GM fix for mushy Z51 brakes

Essex evaluation of original 2014 z51 brakes

C&D and the mushy brakes
Is this a recall or an owner's expense?
Old 08-20-2018, 10:14 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

Is this a recall or an owner's expense?
under warranty? GM's nickle

your nickle: a cheap replacement

powerstop disks and pads kit

also note from other forum posters, the 2014 fans/fan control module is beginning to fail. about 1 post/month. Do a forum search for more threads. replaceable, but better if you can do it under a warranty for free.

2014 overheating

Last edited by SilverGhost; 08-20-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:53 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

They said they would call me directly once it was back on the premises. Ill stop if I see it before they call. I go by there all the time.
I was told the original owner traded it on a Z06 they had, and that its basically like a new car.
Speaking for myself, if there's aftermarket stuff bolted to it, then its nowhere near being a new car.
In my book that means a car that needs work.
Just got a text. The car is back.

If you can test drive it that would be awesome. If you want to spend the time, check anything you have a concern for. If you want to put it on a lift and see how well they bolted stuff on, that would be great. I am at your mercy and am very appreciative.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:45 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Just got a text. The car is back.

If you can test drive it that would be awesome. If you want to spend the time, check anything you have a concern for. If you want to put it on a lift and see how well they bolted stuff on, that would be great. I am at your mercy and am very appreciative.
Im heading up there shortly !!
Old 08-20-2018, 05:20 PM
gbranham
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Slynky
Not (absolutely) sure what he meant but I think he means that yellow is a bold color and that people either like it or don't like it--that there is little middle ground. Polarizing meaning you see it and you go one way or the other... Hope this helps.
Yep!
Old 08-20-2018, 06:06 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Ok I'm back.

I was able to inspect it visually and drive it on a short road test. I couldn't take it on the highway because 45 is almost gridlock and 8 is a toll road. So I only got it up to about 60, at that speed there were no weird vibrations and the car went straight without excessive driver input. All of the features seem to work properly at this time.
The aftermarket stuff looks much better than I thought it would, and seems to be installed properly. Now that I have seen it, I would leave it in place. It does not detract to from the car appearance.
The only problems I could find are there are maybe half dozen or so stone chips in the paint on the front bumper cover. Several are pretty obvious, probably due to the yellow color. I consider these to be normal wear for a car with this mileage. The other issue is that the car is beginning to develop some clutch chatter. Right now its barely perceptible and I don't think other folks are even going to notice. Its possible that I was trying to take off from stops without applying enough throttle. Regardless, this is not something that would stop me from buying the car, but I want to mention it because I could feel it from every stop, and these sorts of things don't go away. Again, its barely perceptible at this point. Otherwise the transmission shifts effortlessly, and the engine runs properly.
My overall impression of this car is very good. I do not think it has been abused at any time. I would not hesitate to buy this car if I was happy with the price.
Below is my favorite picture ….

This is the duct temp with the ac on low and the recirculate door open. The outside air temp is exactly 100 degrees.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:54 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Ok I'm back.

I was able to inspect it visually and drive it on a short road test. I couldn't take it on the highway because 45 is almost gridlock and 8 is a toll road. So I only got it up to about 60, at that speed there were no weird vibrations and the car went straight without excessive driver input. All of the features seem to work properly at this time.
The aftermarket stuff looks much better than I thought it would, and seems to be installed properly. Now that I have seen it, I would leave it in place. It does not detract to from the car appearance.
The only problems I could find are there are maybe half dozen or so stone chips in the paint on the front bumper cover. Several are pretty obvious, probably due to the yellow color. I consider these to be normal wear for a car with this mileage. The other issue is that the car is beginning to develop some clutch chatter. Right now its barely perceptible and I don't think other folks are even going to notice. Its possible that I was trying to take off from stops without applying enough throttle. Regardless, this is not something that would stop me from buying the car, but I want to mention it because I could feel it from every stop, and these sorts of things don't go away. Again, its barely perceptible at this point. Otherwise the transmission shifts effortlessly, and the engine runs properly.
My overall impression of this car is very good. I do not think it has been abused at any time. I would not hesitate to buy this car if I was happy with the price.
Below is my favorite picture ….

This is the duct temp with the ac on low and the recirculate door open. The outside air temp is exactly 100 degrees.
Thank you for doing that!
Was that your thermometer or was it in the car?

Can you PM your phone number. I have a few follow up questions I would like to ask you. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:59 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Thank you for doing that!
Was that your thermometer or was it in the car?

Can you PM your phone number. I have a few follow up questions I would like to ask you. Thanks.
My thermometer.
Here in Texas we take air conditioning pretty seriously.

Get notified of new replies

To Car check - Hopefully last one - any red flags

Old 08-20-2018, 10:06 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

PM sent …
Old 08-20-2018, 10:07 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Avanti
Just be very sure it's not a flood car!
Nearly impossible for the average buyer to detect whether it is or not a flood car. Much of the City of Houston AND suburbs did flood, however.

Personally, I wouldn't risk buying a used car from Houston for that very reason.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:14 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by hope2
Exactly my point if your read my comment. Buying or Selling. He says he likes the color, and that is fine, but the fact is less people do so therefore deducts from value.
That is exactly correct. Color affects sale ability. The 2nd question a used car buyer at a dealership asks is color? Third is; condition/tires? The 1st, is miles? The Corvette Yellow, would be a detriment, certainly not a plus.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 08-20-2018 at 10:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Car check - Hopefully last one - any red flags