Sponsored by:

Houston we have a problem... new damaged car

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 02:59 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
It would be wrong for them to advertise the car with "0" miles on it. The last time I saw a zero mile car was many years ago when BMW shipped cars with negative miles. You have to at least drive off the manufacturing line to the truck and then off the truck to the service department and then to the gas station to get fuel. I have done a lot of automotive advertising and never did I do an advertisement or ever see an advertisement from anyone saying 0 miles. If you want to pick on dealers, great...but at least get your facts straight.
Lol …
Did you even read the comment you responded to ?
Old 09-16-2018, 03:00 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

It would be wrong for them to advertise the car with "0" miles on it. The last time I saw a zero mile car was many years ago when BMW shipped cars with negative miles. You have to at least drive off the manufacturing line to the truck and then off the truck to the service department and then to the gas station to get fuel. I have done a lot of automotive advertising and never did I do an advertisement or ever see an advertisement from anyone saying 0 miles. If you want to pick on dealers, great...but at least get your facts straight.

it it is advertised with 0 miles... i’m on my cell phone and don’t know how to add a link.
please don’t accuse me of having my facts wrong without knowing the facts
Old 09-16-2018, 03:09 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by 65fastback

it it is advertised with 0 miles... i’m on my cell phone and don’t know how to add a link.
please don’t accuse me of having my facts wrong without knowing the facts
If it really says 0 miles, it would be a first for me and an obvious lie in the ad. Just flat impossible. When you get to a a place with the ability to put in a link, sure would like to see it. If it really states that, I sincerely apologize!
Old 09-16-2018, 03:58 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

If it really says 0 miles, it would be a first for me and an obvious lie in the ad. Just flat impossible. When you get to a a place with the ability to put in a link, sure would like to see it. If it really states that, I sincerely apologize!

Old 09-16-2018, 04:06 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by montanaman
As other experts (and my attorney) have said I don't have much if any case here because they are using the 6% exclusion to get them out of a sticky situation. Actually having the damage repair invoices probably worked against me and pushed them to that spot. If nothing else they got their cage rattled with a legal notice. That said the internet is an incredibly effective way to spread information good or bad. Social media and car forums are both effective ways to let other potential consumers know who and what to avoid. If I can cost them even one sale I'll settle for a moral victory.

One of the reasons I shared this story is to possibly help other buyers. I should start a "sticky poll" called... "How many new Corvette buyers will now pull a Carfax and take extra steps to find out if there has been body damage repair done to their new car". I'd bet there would be a few takers.
Not a single **** was given......guaranteed.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:07 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Joydrive is not an official dealer. It's a secondary marketer, a middle-man, advertising on Craigslist no less. That's equivalent to any one of us putting our car on Craigslist and claiming zero miles. Show us an authorized dealer advertising a car with zero miles and we'll talk.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:28 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Sailfun

You have already trashed the dealer, their employees and potentially committed a crime by making terroristic threats. If you had calmly called the dealer and explained what you found I would expect them to provide some compensation as good faith.
Based on how you handled it however if I were the dealer I would tell you to go F yourself and refer your comments about burning the dealership down to law enforcement.
I don't recall reading, in almost 200 posts, where montanaman was verbally upset when dealing with the dealer in person or on the phone. He did express his frustration on how the dealership dealt with the situation when posting/venting on the CF though. Terrorist threats... Embellish much?
Old 09-16-2018, 06:16 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ricks327
I don't recall reading, in almost 200 posts, where montanaman was verbally upset when dealing with the dealer in person or on the phone. He did express his frustration on how the dealership dealt with the situation when posting/venting on the CF though. Terrorist threats... Embellish much?
I think threatening to "burn the dealership down" qualifies as a terrorist threat. After being called on it he insisted it was a "metaphor"* (an inept use of the term) and after that, after several people suggested that wasn't a very smart thing to say, he edited his post so that his threat just disappeared. Perhaps you didn't see that, but a number of us did. It was hardly an "embellishment."

* Metaphor: A metaphor is a figure of speech that refers to something as being the same as another thing for rhetorical effect.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:26 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by 65fastback

Well, it does say o miles. It does not though say it is new nor is the advertisement from a new car dealer as pointed out. Washington must have some "different" dealer statutes. You have a third party advertising a vehicle they do not own, do not list an MSRP for, nor do they state whether it is used or new. In many, if not most states, they would close you down. You should be skeptical!
Old 09-16-2018, 06:45 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Well, it does say o miles. It does not though say it is new nor is the advertisement from a new car dealer as pointed out. Washington must have some "different" dealer statutes. You have a third party advertising a vehicle they do not own, do not list an MSRP for, nor do they state whether it is used or new. In many, if not most states, they would close you down. You should be skeptical!

Old 09-16-2018, 07:10 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

I'm not sure what you are expecting here, but if you go to the actual dealer web site under mileage it says "N/A" Check it out: https://www.chevroletofeverett.com/V...-WA/2880453193 So what you have here is the third party adding mileage that is not on the dealership's site. This is Joydrive's issue, not the dealership's.

Last edited by mschuyler; 09-16-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:19 PM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by montanaman As other experts (and my attorney) have said I don't have much if any case here because they are using the 6% exclusion to get them out of a sticky situation. Actually having the damage repair invoices probably worked against me and pushed them to that spot. If nothing else they got their cage rattled with a legal notice. That said the internet is an incredibly effective way to spread information good or bad. Social media and car forums are both effective ways to let other potential consumers know who and what to avoid. If I can cost them even one sale I'll settle for a moral victory.

One of the reasons I shared this story is to possibly help other buyers. I should start a "sticky poll" called... "How many new Corvette buyers will now pull a Carfax and take extra steps to find out if there has been body damage repair done to their new car". I'd bet there would be a few takers.

Originally Posted by redzone
Not a single **** was given......guaranteed.
And that's the fact. For all the OP's ranting, protesting, internet posts/warnings, and insistence that "it's unacceptable", the courts would drop kick him out the door and the Dave Smith advertising steamroller wouldn't even feel it. He'd be like a fire ant hill under an airplane tire. This thread has what, ~9800 views? I'll be generous and say 10% of the viewers are in Idaho (does anyone here believe that estimate??) and swear never to buy from DS Chevrolet. They'll go to a different dealer and get treated EXACTLY the same way. GM will still skim profits from them. Hell, post his woes across the internet and gain a following of 50,000... Dave Smith won't feel it whatsoever. Man, this thread is a humorous read. Thanks!

As to "0" miles, that's not what the dealer website says. It says "N/A":

Old 09-16-2018, 07:24 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by dork
And that's the fact. For all the OP's ranting, protesting, internet posts/warnings, and insistence that "it's unacceptable", the courts would drop kick him out the door and the Dave Smith advertising steamroller wouldn't even feel it. He'd be like a fire ant hill under an airplane tire. This thread has what, ~9800 views? I'll be generous and say 10% of the viewers are in Idaho (does anyone here believe that estimate??) and swear never to buy from DS Chevrolet. They'll go to a different dealer and get treated EXACTLY the same way. GM will still skim profits from them. Hell, post his woes across the internet and gain a following of 50,000... Dave Smith won't feel it whatsoever. Man, this thread is a humorous read. Thanks!
Ten years ago I would agree.
Today, with the speed at which this sort of news travels through social media, I'm not so sure.
Social media has ruined more than one business. Car dealers are not immune. OP should tell his story on Yelp next.
Think about that for a minute. There's a publicly traded company, whose business model is based on reviewing other businesses.
The times they are a changing …

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 09-16-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:30 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by montanaman

I think I'll start a poll, doesn't even need to be a sticky, and ask "how many people come here for advice, get tons of it including being warned not to do what they intend to do, they do it anyway, and then come on here and bitch and moan about it when the outcome didn't go their way"

We all know that you would have to answer yes to that one.

And you didn't share this story to help others, you shared it because you love the drama and for sympathy, and the latter backfired on you.

Last edited by Thunder22; 09-16-2018 at 07:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Thunder22:
Lee Hunt1919 (09-16-2018), Malum1 (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 07:41 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Ten years ago I would agree. Today, with the speed at which this sort of news travels through social media, I'm not so sure. Social media has ruined more than one business. Car dealers are not immune. OP should tell his story on Yelp next. Think about that for a minute. There's a publicly traded company, whose business model is based on reviewing other businesses. The times they are a changing …
Not really. Dave Smith Motors has over a hundred reviews on Yelp. They range from "This is the best experience ever" to "This is the worst experience ever." with an average three and a half stars. OP's rant added to these won't make a dent and will read just like another disgruntled customer. The one star reviews tend to get rated "funny" here. Dave Smith is a marketing juggernaut. I've dealt with them a couple of times, but never bought from them. Once in their database, always in their database. From strictly a marketing standpoint, they have their act together.

Last edited by mschuyler; 09-16-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:00 PM
Sailfun
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks327
I used the word terroristic not terrorist. I did not embellish at all.

“”A terroristic threat is a crime generally involving a threat to commit violence communicated with the intent to terrorize another, to cause evacuation of a building, or to cause serious public inconvenience, in reckless disregard of the risk of causing such terror or inconvenience.””

Threatening to burn down the dealership I would suggest certainly qualifies.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:04 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Not really. Dave Smith Motors has over a hundred reviews on Yelp. They range from "This is the best experience ever" to "This is the worst experience ever." with an average three and a half stars. OP's rant added to these won't make a dent and will read just like another disgruntled customer. The one star reviews tend to get rated "funny" here. Dave Smith is a marketing juggernaut.
I didn't look myself, so maybe it would be a waste of time for the OP.
But, its easy to place yourself in the OPs shoes, and I don't think any person would want this to happen to themselves. Regardless of how you place blame.
Knowing this, if this sort of thing happens too many times, then its basically guaranteed to ruin Dave Smith.
Plus, how much does it cost Dave S in advertising per customer ? A marketing juggernaut probably spends a pretty good amount of money.
I don't get it. On one hand they spend a ton of money acquiring customers, but they are willing to lose one for zero dollars in profit, and risk to their reputation.
Even a bad salesman could have disclosed the issues with this car by incorporating the snow damage story into the story of why its being discounted.
Except they didn't do that, they just gave up the discount anyway. Its stupid, and stupid is how you lose a business or more.

Get notified of new replies

To Houston we have a problem... new damaged car

Old 09-16-2018, 08:23 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Sailfun

I used the word terroristic not terrorist. I did not embellish at all.

“”A terroristic threat is a crime generally involving a threat to commit violence communicated with the intent to terrorize another, to cause evacuation of a building, or to cause serious public inconvenience, in reckless disregard of the risk of causing such terror or inconvenience.””

Threatening to burn down the dealership I would suggest certainly qualifies.
Good luck trying to get the prosecutor to write a warrant when the only evidence is a from a blog where the writer was venting.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:25 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

I'm not really defending Dave Smith. I personally consider them kind of sleazeballs. The fact is that according to the Yelp reviews, a lot more people like them than hate them. I know for a fact the other dealers despise them and refuse to "trade" with them (Inter-dealer trades are common) because of their low-ball tactics. They are big in the Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana area. I know a few people, including my know-it-all son-in-law who always buy their cars there because they are convinced they are getting the proverbial "good deal." In fact, they don't compete at all against someone like Macmulkin. And they are really the Mouse that Roared. Kellogg, Idaho isn't a very big place and the dealership sure looks a lot smaller than their ads. But the fact is, they are not stupid and Yelp or this forum are not going to bring them down. It's going to take more than a few disgruntled customers who are their own worst enemies when it comes to dealing with this kind of situation. Rather than deal with the issue in a rational, adult manner they threaten to burn the place down and look for co-dependents on this forum. THAT'S what is stupid, not because you shouldn't be upset, but because that kind of behavior is ineffectual.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:29 PM
Black18C7
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dork
[/left][/left]And that's the fact. For all the OP's ranting, protesting, internet posts/warnings, and insistence that "it's unacceptable", the courts would drop kick him out the door and the Dave Smith advertising steamroller wouldn't even feel it. He'd be like a fire ant hill under an airplane tire. This thread has what, ~9800 views? I'll be generous and say 10% of the viewers are in Idaho (does anyone here believe that estimate??) and swear never to buy from DS Chevrolet. They'll go to a different dealer and get treated EXACTLY the same way. GM will still skim profits from them. Hell, post his woes across the internet and gain a following of 50,000... Dave Smith won't feel it whatsoever. Man, this thread is a humorous read. Thanks!

As to "0" miles, that's not what the dealer website says. It says "N/A":

Originally Posted by Thunder22
I think I'll start a poll, doesn't even need to be a sticky, and ask "how many people come here for advice, get tons of it including being warned not to do what they intend to do, they do it anyway, and then come on here and bitch and moan about it when the outcome didn't go their way"

We all know that you would have to answer yes to that one.

And you didn't share this story to help others, you shared it because you love the drama and for sympathy, and the latter backfired on you.
So true .... he was kicking *** and taking names, spending as much money as it takes blah blah blah....

Quick Reply: Houston we have a problem... new damaged car