Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kerbeck washing new Vettes incorrectly

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 11:13 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

It never ceases to amaze me how **** some corvette owners are.

What would some of you do if a real catastrophe happened, like a bird shitting on your car?
The following 6 users liked this post by Mcrider:
CocoVette (10-14-2018), direct007 (10-11-2018), iw172 (10-13-2018), redrider28075 (10-11-2018), rudutch (10-11-2018), Steve_R (10-15-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-11-2018, 11:25 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider

What would some of you do if a real catastrophe happened, like a bird shitting on your car?
Well, I can't speak for most Corvette owners but I think many of us would just rinse it off. We wouldn't go out and sh#t on the car paint. Why you ask such a lame question?
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 11:25 AM
SoFloVette
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 65 Posts

Funny you should say that. I was just looking at some of the damages Hurricane Michael did to Panama City Florida. There was a picture of a guys C7 thrown and smashed into the neighbors house. This guy wishes swirl marks were his only problems.
The following 2 users liked this post by SoFloVette:
iw172 (10-13-2018), Mcrider (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 11:34 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

Well, I can't speak for most Corvette owners but I think many of us would just rinse it off. We wouldn't go out and sh#t on the car paint. Why you ask such a lame question?

Lame? lol...okay...you let swirls in the paint after being washed be the major problem in your life....

Old 10-11-2018, 11:44 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Monte Carlo, don't make me laugh.
just because you didn't like the answer doesn't make you correct.

lol
Old 10-11-2018, 11:51 AM
CarterRuss
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
That car sat there all summer long before you expressed an interest in it, during which it was their car. I could see your point if you had factory ordered the car, but you can't make a request like that retroactive.
Originally Posted by Woodson
So that we are understanding you correctly, you bought a car that's been sitting on a dealer lot for months (no doubt at a large discount), and you want them to retroactively not wash it?
I see your point but that still goes back to they have someone washing cars that doesn't know what they are doing to the paint. Regardless I hadn't really thought of them washing it as MacMulkin stores their cars inside and doesn't let anyone test drive them. I guess that was my fault in assuming other online dealers did the same.

Originally Posted by joeking
$800.00 seems to be quite high for some swirl mark corrections. Just saying...for a brand new car it shouldn't need a whole lot of detail. I have bought 3 year old used vehicles that look like brand new with a little TLC. Just sayin.
I'm not sure if it is due to the area but I have had 4 cars detailed at 3 different shops. $800 seemed to be the going rate for a 2 step correction. I guess that includes the initial wash, decon and clay so $800 isn't a true cost of the correction piece.

Originally Posted by Mayor111
  • $50 - DA Buffer at Harbor Freight
  • $7 - Polish Pad at Harbor Freight
  • $7 - Waxing Pad at Harbor Freight
  • $10 - Meguiars M205 Polish (use polishing pad)
  • $10 - Meguiars Liquid Carnauba Wax (use waxing pad)
Heck of alot cheaper than $800 and your Vette stays in your driveway...just another option.
Trust me I wish I could but current situation doesn't allow it.

Originally Posted by z06inVB
I have always used a bucket with some turtle wax car wash and an old rag to wash mine. A trip around the block and dry the rest off with an old bath towel.

I had no idea I was ruining my cars.
Well in regards to the paint, most likely. I guess once you see what happens to paint in poor washing, you can't unsee it. Anytime I go to CnC, the first thing I notice is how bad some of these exotics are kept. But then again some people don't care.

Originally Posted by ahero4eternity
It's just a Chevy. Don't forget that.
Point? I still spent a great deal of money on a brand new car.

I would wash it off properly. The car would also be coated to protect against that bird **** from damaging the paint.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:58 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Lame? lol...okay...you let swirls in the paint after being washed be the major problem in your life....
🤣😂🤣 I would not say "major". If you spend any time learning how to care for any painted surface it becomes a matter of learning what not to do to maintain the appearance and finish of your automobile. It's no big deal once you have learned. It's not like Corvette owners are losing any sleep worrying over swirls in their paint.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:00 PM
CarterRuss
Instructor

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
because if they were trained to wash a car properly, and really, it would take about 5 minutes of instruction and not require a school, then even a car that sat in stock for a while wouldn't have swirl marks and scratches in the paint.
I think this is ultimately my point. Yes, I am a little pissed off my brand new car didn't come the way I had hoped. Not the end of the world and after 1000 miles in the past two weeks, the smile I get outweighs my frustration. But that fact that Corvettes seems to be held to a different light than other Chevys, the following, the fact that people aren't allowed to test drive them to keep miles down...etc, etc. I would have thought a simple two bucket wash and proper techniques would be used on these cars. That's all.

When the car looks like it was washed with this, I have a problem. I am **** about having a shiny car and I will not apologize for that

Edit: Okay not so **** as I don't care how many bugs I kill up in the mountains but you know when it comes out of the garage, I like shiny.

Last edited by CarterRuss; 10-11-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:05 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,702 Likes on 5,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder22
just because you didn't like the answer doesn't make you correct.lol
Does a Monte Carlo:
enjoy the overall longevity of Corvette? NO
enjoy the brand recondition of Corvette? NO
enjoy the loyal following of Corvette? NO
have the long-time tradition of Corvette? NO
enjoy the would wide sportscar and racing respect of the Corvette? NO
Old 10-11-2018, 12:14 PM
MMD
Safety Car

I think many times dealers will out-source the washing/detailing of all the cars on their lot to some local detailing shop. These people might come in will periodically come in and clean 100 cars on the lot in an afternoon. How they can do this is something you probably don't want to know.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:15 PM
CarterRuss
Instructor

Originally Posted by AORoads
If that really is how "some" determine the price to charge, it's a reason for me not to go to one.

It reminds me of "the book rate" for doing a repair and then the technician "beating the time" it takes to do the work. But still charge "the book rate" to the customer. That stinks, too, IMO.
Most charge based on time, true and perfect paint correction takes time. A lot of cheap detailers will just fill swirls/scratches rather than correct which saves them time and ultimately makes them more money.

As far as book time goes...I agree there. I got flamed on Reddit once before due to my stance on that.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:19 PM
CarterRuss
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMD
I think many times dealers will out-source the washing/detailing of all the cars on their lot to some local detailing shop. These people might come in will periodically come in and clean 100 cars on the lot in an afternoon. How they can do this is something you probably don't want to know.
Cringe city. "Here's $250 wash all 100 cars" then the shop can charge people on the backend to detail it. I used to notice this with my local Jeep dealership mass washing cars.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:34 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CarterRuss
Cringe city. "Here's $250 wash all 100 cars" then the shop can charge people on the backend to detail it. I used to notice this with my local Jeep dealership mass washing cars.
I saw the same thing at a Corvette dealer in Daytona Beach last year.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:50 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,107 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Please identify another “Chevy” which enjoys the overall longevity, brand recognition, loyal following, long-time tradition, would wide sportscar and racing respect of the Corvette?
Its still just another mass produced Chevrolet. It shares many of the same production methods, engineering and in some cases even parts as other Chevys. Heck my C6 was bought as part of a fleet purchase of G4500 cutaway chassis.

To me it’s just a good durable high performance car. I will run it up to 70 to 120k miles then buy another one if I like the C8. If it gets some scratches and chips along the way who cares. It’s no big deal.
Steve_R (10-15-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 12:59 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,702 Likes on 5,595 Posts

Originally Posted by z06inVB
Its still just another mass produced Chevrolet. It shares many of the same production methods, engineering and in some cases even parts as other Chevys. Heck my C6 was bought as part of a fleet purchase of G4500 cutaway chassis.
To me it’s just a good durable high performance car. I will run it up to 70 to 120k miles then buy another one if I like the C8. If it gets some scratches and chips along the way who cares. It’s no big deal.
You just don't "get it", to MANY the Corvette is much more than just another Chevy.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:29 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Regardless of what you think OUGHT to happen, the reality is that you are not going to get a completely unwashed car unless YOU are proactive about it and recognize the limitations. Even then you'll take your chances with paint defects, as anyone who reads these pages knows. As JerryU said, factory order the car. Be there when it arrives. Take the white coating off yourself or supervise it. That is the ONLY way to ensure you get an unwashed "pristine" car. If you are not in a position to do that, then, well, you aren't in a position to demand it. By buying off the lot, you are already compromising and already being compensated because those cars cost less. Why do they cost less? Because they've been sitting there unsold subject to the elements. My God, they've been RAINED on (Shudder!) Being upset that a car that has been on the lot for MONTHS is unreasonable. If you are that **** about the paint, then it is YOUR responsibility to ensure you take care of it. And the fact that you "can't do it" is nobody's fault but your own. And don't start with this, "A car this expensive ought to be blah blah" Have you priced a new pickup lately? This is not an inordinately expensive car and it is not going to get extra-special care for the 'discriminating' buyer because, frankly, you are not spending enough to warrant that. The real problem here is that your expectations are greater than your budget.
The following 6 users liked this post by mschuyler:
direct007 (10-13-2018), MMD (10-11-2018), Steve_R (10-15-2018), USMC 0802 (10-13-2018), VaydorVette1 (10-12-2018), Woodson (10-11-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-11-2018, 01:32 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

First of all, don't base how a car is taken care of by an owner on the purchase price. There was a time when you could buy a decent used and running Ferrari for the price of a new Corvette, and many times, for quite a bit less. To a lesser extent that still exists today.

Second, the fact is not everyone looks at a car from every angle, in every light, every time they look at their car. Period. Some will take care of the exterior as well as they can, and leave it at that. Doesn't make them a slob, or a Ferrari-lover and Corvette-hater If you talk about a comfort level it's their comfort level of what they want their Corvette to be. Still doesn't make them a "bad person."

Third, for decades Chev has been trying to "create" other models that match the name recognition and loyal following of "Corvette.". It hasn't happened. There was a time when the Monte was big, but it faded. The Caprice, Impala, Bel Air, Malibu, etc. The only one that's kinda been around for a long time is the Camaro. Corvette, to most who like and would buy a Chev, is the top of the heap. It's never been cheap for what you get with 2 seats if you really do the math, but it's better in many respects than all the competition with 2 or 4 seats----for the price and performance. Altho there are a bunch of 25, 35, 45 year olds buying new Corvettes (which is a great thing!), for most it's a later-age thing to do, and they treat this car a bit better than most of the cars and trucks they've had. So, it "means more" to them---it's an "aspiration goal" that's been achieved.

Get notified of new replies

To Kerbeck washing new Vettes incorrectly

Old 10-11-2018, 01:40 PM
CarterRuss
Instructor

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Regardless of what you think OUGHT to happen, the reality is that you are not going to get a completely unwashed car unless YOU are proactive about it and recognize the limitations. Even then you'll take your chances with paint defects, as anyone who reads these pages knows. As JerryU said, factory order the car. Be there when it arrives. Take the white coating off yourself or supervise it. That is the ONLY way to ensure you get an unwashed "pristine" car. If you are not in a position to do that, then, well, you aren't in a position to demand it. By buying off the lot, you are already compromising and already being compensated because those cars cost less. Why do they cost less? Because they've been sitting there unsold subject to the elements. My God, they've been RAINED on (Shudder!) Being upset that a car that has been on the lot for MONTHS is unreasonable. If you are that **** about the paint, then it is YOUR responsibility to ensure you take care of it. And the fact that you "can't do it" is nobody's fault but your own. And don't start with this, "A car this expensive ought to be blah blah" Have you priced a new pickup lately? This is not an inordinately expensive car and it is not going to get extra-special care for the 'discriminating' buyer because, frankly, you are not spending enough to warrant that. The real problem here is that your expectations are greater than your budget.
This is quite possible the most ridiculous thing I have read:

1. I never complained that it was rained on (nor do I think anyone else that feels the way I do would).
2. Did I ever get upset the car was on the lot for months? No
3. Regardless of what car I buy new, I expect it new. Not with damaged paint. Camry, Corvette or Chiron. You can choose to accept shitty practices by dealerships but I choose not to.
4. Expectations greater than my budget? Did I state I couldn't afford it? No.
5. Did I say it was anyone's fault I can't do it myself? Regardless of cost, I wouldn't want to spend 10 hours correcting paint on a brand new car.
6. Inordinately expensive? Well since the average new car is $36k, I would say a car 65% more expensive can be considered just that, expensive.
Scoobydoobydoo (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 01:51 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 213 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C7 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

I think something is wrong with my paint.

Paint correcting on a car that nobody is going to notice other than other old people with the same car in a strip center parking lot is weird.

Last edited by lobsterroboto; 10-11-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:56 PM
CarterRuss
Instructor

Originally Posted by lobsterroboto
Paint correcting on a car that nobody is going to notice other than other old people with the same car are going in a strip center parking lot is weird.
To each his own. I like my car to be glossy not look like someone has rubbed sand paper across it. Driving a car with tape holding it together is weird but I'm not judging, it works for you.

Quick Reply: Kerbeck washing new Vettes incorrectly