Sponsored by:

2016 windshield- need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 04:22 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony1leo
How much are the windsheilds without insurance?
They said about $900. Orange County, CA
The following users liked this post:
Tony1leo (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 04:29 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Ok so now all the "defect" posts have me concerned. I have a small rock chip as you can see. Whether they replace it or I have it repaired, it will cost me $100. I always am opposed to removing things like dashboards and parts that will rattle, etc. when replaced, but members here say there are none of these issues with replacing windshields. But now I'm concerned about SOMEthing happening down the road as was happening to those with defects. Is it due to the glass itself that no longer is a problem, or the mounting? This is a '17 GS.
So, help: Given the choice at the same price, should I just have them fill it? They told me I "may" be able to see the repair but it would be very slight. This is in my line-of-site.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:11 PM
JDGill
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you to everyone for your replies. My big concern is that it does not get any worse. I can live with a little imperfection in my life. It's not a perfect car, matter of fact, I don't think there is such a car on the planet. We buy them because they are awesome, cool, sports cars. They take us back to our youth, and that is a good thing.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:04 PM
RiCorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 73 Posts

IAIA, since the crack is in your line of sight and you are aware of it, your eye will always be drawn to it, consciously and unconsciously, and it will forever annoy you - This seems to be so with most any irritation. One of my Kids filled in a similar chip, but eventually it worsened and finally cracked.

I guess I fortunately squeaked in before the 1 year warranty limitation on my '17s Windshield and it was replaced due to delamination along the top edge, but, curiously, not an internal crack.

Now that it's been in for several days, I notice a new minor annoyance - there are 4 cell phone sized areas (presumably were stickers) that show up after the overnight Dew.
Cleaning the areas, inside and out, with Goo Gone, Windex, and Rubbing Alcohol have been unsuccessful in removing them.

Interestingly, the areas seem 'cleaner' than the surrounding glass - any suggestions about how to blend in or remove? Or just leave well enough alone?

Last edited by RiCorvette; 10-28-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:13 AM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

^ ^ ^
That seems annoying (by the way, yes, they showed me what a "fill repair" looks like, and you can indeed see it even though it's a tiny remnant; reminds me of a small spot on your windshield that you intend to wipe off when you get home but then forget until you're driving again...LOL). Ok back to you. Try 3M adhesive remover. Bowling Green says they use it inside and out to prep cars on the way out. It doesn't eat up any surface; I used it on my dash when I streaked it with Adams VRT, and use it above my rocker panel when my shoe scuffs the threshold thing. Hopefully that will work? Also, you "could" try acetone but only on the outside but make sure there's no external tint--I don't know about that--but make sure it doesn't hit your paint. Turpentine, maybe even mineral spirits is milder if you have that; follow up with a household cleaner. (Those are recommended to clean the inside of your exhaust pipes, too.)
Old 10-29-2018, 03:23 AM
2016C7.paul
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by JDGill
I have a 2016, Z51, has about 6,000 miles. I have owned the car for a year. After purchasing the car and completing it's first detail, I noticed a small area on the front windshield. I took it to dealer for oil change this weekend and questioned them on the windshield. They said it was up to me on the replacement, I still have 2 1/2 months left on bumper to bumper, plus I have the GM extended warranty. The area has not gotten any worse over the last year. Just need some advice. Do I have them order and replace. I am a little concerned about breaking factory seal. Wait and see if area becomes worse? Also, not sure if this is covered under extended warranty. Its getting cold in Ohio, so have to decide soon...
This thread will help you

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...indshield.html

I had mine replaced under warranty and it was a flawless job. My dealership (Bruce Lowrie Chevrolet) is excellent. They also installed a complimentary android auto update and provided a courtesy car (2018 Chevy Silverado with a couple thousand miles on it). They are going to replace my center console for "elbow sag" in a couple of weeks.

Quick Reply: 2016 windshield- need some advice