Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation

Old 11-09-2018, 06:37 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by rrsperry

buy a back up battery for your phone... I bought a case that has a 3700mA battery built in.
First off, I normally don't case my phone. Secondly I have a battery backup. Used to keep it in my backpack for hikes but now keep it in my car. However there are times when I go to use it and the battery backup is dead too! Besides, with a dead cell phone it takes a certain amount of time to get enough charge into the phone so that it won't simple stop when taxed to do AA, GM, listen to a podcast, etc. If merely connecting the phone to a charging source was sufficient, as you know, you have to plug into a USB in order to use AA at all. My experience is that if the phone is completely dead you'll have to charge it for 10-20 minutes in order to get it to have enough juice to get you home. It's in these rare situations that I use the factory NAV while I'm charging my phone. Usually after a few miles when the phone is charged up enough to hold it's charge I then switch back to using AA.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:50 PM
Guitarking1
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

My car came with factory NAV, but I seldom use it (because I need to drive it more!). However, one of the attractive aspects about factory NAV is that it interfaces with the HUD. I'm guessing that Apple Carplay or other options would not do that.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:56 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Not sure about CP but AA supposedly has the code to do turn by turn in the HUD but GM either fails to notify AA that it has this capability or fails to expose the API to the HUD so AA (with Google Maps) doesn't do this. 'Tis a big shame!
Old 11-09-2018, 09:25 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,444 Likes on 753 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Agreed. The beauty of in dash is it interacts with the car as a whole much better. Trust I have done nav a myriad of ways, and have yet to find any of the apps work better still than in-dash. I lead a number of outings with our club and nothing worse than shifting, fumbling with a phone, answering calls from members, handling a 2way radio, turning the stereo down, etc. I went to in dash because as a group leader you have a lot going on all at once at times! With in dash in all works in harmony much better and I will say the GM GPS is very good. We have friends that use Waze and Google Maps and they seem to be presented with confusion now and then. None with the in dash app. I have the GM unit in both my pick up and Corvette and they both work very well. My point is many of us are spending over $50k for a car, then cheap out on a possibly important feature.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:17 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by defaria
Not sure about CP but AA supposedly has the code to do turn by turn in the HUD but GM either fails to notify AA that it has this capability or fails to expose the API to the HUD so AA (with Google Maps) doesn't do this. 'Tis a big shame!
I remember when the C7 first came out, there was a lot of talk about 3rd party developers of apps for the MyLink system, access to the API etc. GM even had an official developers group then too...

Boy, that sure went away quickly!
Old 11-10-2018, 01:58 PM
Neil Baker
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

I use Waze and I love it. Speed limit signs and police and incident warning. Great map app with CarPlay.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:36 AM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

Same for iPhones... Google Maps is available on iTunes for free and you can download and save offline maps for Google Maps, then connect via CarPlay. I used that method with my iPhone on a recent trip to Yellowstone and Glacier parks. The offline maps expire automatically in 30 days so if you lived somewhere that you needed them year round you'd have to confirm to keep them when Google gives you the expiry reminder.

If you live in the boonies you need only download a map of your area in AA (I have no idea on CP) when connected to wifi at your house.

Are you sure you can use AA without the factory NAV? I'm not sure about that. I have the factory NAV but rarely use it opting instead for AA.

Last edited by raylo; 11-11-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:06 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

First off, I normally don't case my phone. Secondly I have a battery backup. Used to keep it in my backpack for hikes but now keep it in my car. However there are times when I go to use it and the battery backup is dead too! Besides, with a dead cell phone it takes a certain amount of time to get enough charge into the phone so that it won't simple stop when taxed to do AA, GM, listen to a podcast, etc. If merely connecting the phone to a charging source was sufficient, as you know, you have to plug into a USB in order to use AA at all. My experience is that if the phone is completely dead you'll have to charge it for 10-20 minutes in order to get it to have enough juice to get you home. It's in these rare situations that I use the factory NAV while I'm charging my phone. Usually after a few miles when the phone is charged up enough to hold it's charge I then switch back to using AA.
That could be an expensive gamble seeing as a new phone is about $700+. (not having some sort of case...)
Old 11-11-2018, 08:20 AM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

More like ~$1000 + for the flagship models! And those mostly now have *glass* bodies. Mine will have a case for sure. Nice avatar, BTW, I was on one of those back in the day.

Originally Posted by rrsperry
That could be an expensive gamble seeing as a new phone is about $700+. (not having some sort of case...)

Last edited by raylo; 11-11-2018 at 09:00 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation