C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storing in non-heated garage for Winter....Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 08:42 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by gmarcucio
Yeh the liability issue makes sense. Not covering the car soon after being built makes sense too I imagine it's to let the solvents in the clear coat escape allowing it too dry properly. I'm not going to put a cover on this winter. It's in the corner of my heated garage away from where I do work in the garage. I like to just look at it! Besides I ordered some side skirts and front splitter spoiler for it so I will be doing some work to it over the winter which will require me to move it into the next bay where my lift is located.
The finish on your car, including the clear coat, is absolutely and completely dry and free of solvents. You can cover your car and use just about any wax, sealant or polish as long as you follow directions. I wouldn't try any wet sanding or paint correction unless you know what you are doing,.

The modern paints used by GM and just about all other manufacturers are water based and dry in a matter of minutes. By the time your car gets to the dealer it is probably at least 2 weeks post painting so there is no problem with covering it or using products to protect the finish.
The following users liked this post:
MMD (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 11:05 PM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
The finish on your car, including the clear coat, is absolutely and completely dry and free of solvents. You can cover your car and use just about any wax, sealant or polish as long as you follow directions. I wouldn't try any wet sanding or paint correction unless you know what you are doing,.

The modern paints used by GM and just about all other manufacturers are water based and dry in a matter of minutes. By the time your car gets to the dealer it is probably at least 2 weeks post painting so there is no problem with covering it or using products to protect the finish.
My car was built on Friday and at my dealers Tuesday four days later. I was told not to cover my car for 60 days and the manufacturer of carbag car covers also said do not cover new cars for at least 60 days after manufacturing. I'm sure your a smart guy but I'm going with what the dealer and car cover people say.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:31 AM
vetteZpilot
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

a few bags of mothballs in the garage will keep the rodents and mice away.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:20 PM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

Received 661 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteZpilot
a few bags of mothballs in the garage will keep the rodents and mice away.
I don't want the car to smell like mothballs or peppermint or anything so I opted for some bait stations with rodent poison for the storage unit.

Also got the OEM Corvette battery tender today and went and plugged it in and set the poison stations up.

Weather was supposed to be nice yesterday and I was looking forward to take it out for a drive but it was rainy and shitty all day.

It's going to be a long winter but at least I know it will be fine until then.

Thanks everyone for the advices.....

Also took anther look at the front splitter where it scraped the ground and it's really not bad. I'll deal with it in the spring but I don't think it needs to be replaced. Just a really minor little scuff.

Last edited by FLEXjs; 11-26-2018 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:40 PM
SuperdadZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 246 Posts

[QUOTE=vetteZpilot;1598359162]a few bags of mothballs in the garage will keep the rodents and mice away.[/QUO

A little prevention cant hurt
Old 11-26-2018, 06:03 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by JDSC7VETTE

My car was built on Friday and at my dealers Tuesday four days later. I was told not to cover my car for 60 days and the manufacturer of carbag car covers also said do not cover new cars for at least 60 days after manufacturing. I'm sure your a smart guy but I'm going with what the dealer and car cover people say.

Your dealer doesn’t know what they’re talking about and the car bag company is just doing CYA.

Quick Reply: Storing in non-heated garage for Winter....Tips?