Sponsored by:

M7 to A8 regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 08:55 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSC7VETTE

I think you have your mind made up so go with the A8 and don't look back.
NO honestly i do not have my mind made up at all, i have another car i drag race more seriously. THIS ( C7 ) is not a daily driver for me its a weekend / off work/ road trip "fun car" for me. When my wife and i are off work this is the car we are in.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:00 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by 65fastback
OK here's the deal.

The reason i asked the question is because part of me wants the auto ( for a few reasons) but i kinda think i will regret the decision ....my last car was a 2013 BMW M3 it had the DCT and that trans awesome and is PERFECT for that particular car in my opinion.
That being said.... I enjoy the manual in my C7 and at this point it seems it is "the right" gearbox for this car. I had a 2015 dodge challenger scat pac 392 with the 6MT and it was horrible! i hated that car within one month of ownership ( for a bunch of reasons).

ALSO....i never found my M3 with the DCT to be boring ... ever! that car was a blast to drive!

Like you said if chevy had a ZF DCT ...that would be a killer.
i hear you. If you had the DCT already then you may not like the A8 as much since you have something to compare it to. The C8 is supposed to get a ZF DCT so that should tell you something.

I get what you mean by certain cars need the right transmission. Mazda Miata and BRZ has to have manual, the Challenger like you mentioned seems better suited to the auto since it seams more like a straight line cruiser, the BMWs and Audis are great when paired with the DCTs. As for the Corvette, one of the best things about the car is the is the V8 exhaust note. When paired with the manual, you are better able to let that exhaust sing and hold a gear on deceleration so you can listen to the exhaust pop and crackle. You can get some of that in the auto but you really have to be in manual mode and paddle shifting. I don’t know about you but the paddles are just not the same as using a clutch. For me, I would play around with the paddles for a little bit and then the novelty would quickly wear off, slap it into drive and call it a day.
The following users liked this post:
65fastback (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 09:04 PM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,161 Posts

NO honestly i do not have my mind made up at all, i have another car i drag race more seriously. THIS ( C7 ) is not a daily driver for me its a weekend / off work/ road trip "fun car" for me. When my wife and i are off work this is the car we are in.
it sounds like you have your mind made up. Buy the M7 and don't look back.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:36 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by falcon5619

i hear you. If you had the DCT already then you may not like the A8 as much since you have something to compare it to. The C8 is supposed to get a ZF DCT so that should tell you something.

I get what you mean by certain cars need the right transmission. Mazda Miata and BRZ has to have manual, the Challenger like you mentioned seems better suited to the auto since it seams more like a straight line cruiser, the BMWs and Audis are great when paired with the DCTs. As for the Corvette, one of the best things about the car is the is the V8 exhaust note. When paired with the manual, you are better able to let that exhaust sing and hold a gear on deceleration so you can listen to the exhaust pop and crackle. You can get some of that in the auto but you really have to be in manual mode and paddle shifting. I don’t know about you but the paddles are just not the same as using a clutch. For me, I would play around with the paddles for a little bit and then the novelty would quickly wear off, slap it into drive and call it a day.
For about a year i owned a 2010 AMG C63 it only comes with the ZF auto ( a very good transmission ), its no DCT but in that car it worked fine because the 6.2 V8 had plenty of torque. I miss that car ... it had quality fit and finish and power & torque! but not much in the looks department and also very very expensive to repair.
Its a very hard decision to make for me as id like to keep my next car for along time and for me....i truly appreciate and enjoy driving both trans types.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:55 PM
furious427
Drifting

Received 448 Likes on 321 Posts

Every car I have ever owned with the exception of my Truck has been a manual. I haited auto's and made fun of people who buy sports cars in auto. Well I just recently bought a 2015 Z51 A8 and to be honest I am loving it. Yes it's not a stick and I will never be able to row through the gears, but for me right now at this point in my life it's about simplicity. Do I sometimes wish I got the M7? No. Do I sometimes miss having a manual? Yes. But I am really enjoying the A8 right now, stressless driving. I bought the range AFM disable, pulled fuse #42, and installed a borla x-pipe and the car is perfect for me.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:05 PM
Sixgun95
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 127 Posts

I am tired of all the A8 comments, lets be honest - it has no more or less woes than any other car. Some are lemons, most are not, so let's get over all this BS. Get what makes you happy, you will be fine.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:22 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

I'll be honest with you about just getting something new. I get that. It's fun to upgrade C7 to C7.

But stop and think about it. ......

You're in a GREAT position of waiting just a few short months to assess as best you can whether a C8 purchase may be right for you and your wife.

.You & wife are already enjoying the h#ll out of your Z51 M7 as a discretionary driver.
​​​​​​​
Just hold your horses and keep your powder (money/funds) ready to step into a new C8 with
auto/DCT transmission. Problem solved

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 11-18-2018 at 10:47 PM.
ojm (11-19-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 10:40 PM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixgun95
I am tired of all the A8 comments, lets be honest - it has no more or less woes than any other car. Some are lemons, most are not, so let's get over all this BS. Get what makes you happy, you will be fine.
I believe the guys who are making all the negative A8 comments are the ones who own them and have had issues.

I do do agree with getting what makes you happy. I have no idea why anyone would give a rats *** what transmission is in another owners car. I have what I want in my car and that's all that matters to me.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:42 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
If you do go AT from M7 you'll be the first poster that didn't regret it later that I've read on forum.
Well I went from an M6 in my C6 to the A8 in my C7 and I don't regret it one bit. Mine shifts perfectly smooth and when going full throttle it shifts into the next gear so quickly you'd swear it was a DCT. Not a single problem with mine and I'm at 8900 miles now.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:31 AM
RMS127
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

I love my A8 and I drive pretty much in manual mode all the time so I can hear that exhaust sing! It is a bit laggy when you are just trotting around (doesn't bother me) but when you do get on it, the shifts are damn quickkk.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:49 AM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
I'll be honest with you about just getting something new. I get that. It's fun to upgrade C7 to C7.

But stop and think about it. ......

You're in a GREAT position of waiting just a few short months to assess as best you can whether a C8 purchase may be right for you and your wife.

.You & wife are already enjoying the h#ll out of your Z51 M7 as a discretionary driver.
​​​​​​​
Just hold your horses and keep your powder (money/funds) ready to step into a new C8 with
auto/DCT transmission. Problem solved
Like a political poll the answers are swayed by tone of question, at moment it is 50/50 auto or manual, the C8 will decide it, maybe?

I'm ready to buy, but will wait to at least view the C8. Hard as hell waiting but a C8 is automotive history at our doorsteps soooooon,,,I hope.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:15 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
Barring a physical limitation is there anyone on this forum who switched from an auto to a stick and regretted it?
Just as I thought-no responses.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:51 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I've had both. I liked the M7 10% more and drove the A8 150% more. You decide.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:53 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
Barring a physical limitation is there anyone on this forum who switched from an auto to a stick and regretted it?
I hated driving my C6Z06 because of the manual, so yeah, I had a C4 auto and went to a C6Z and hated it. Back to a C7Z A8 and love it. Have several TKOs and two M-21 cars, so I'm not averse to sticks, but if you're driving these cars in traffic in town, the M blows.

I forgot my C4 was an auto until you asked it that way, but yeah I went A4 -> M6 and was sad.

Last edited by davepl; 11-19-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:15 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

I don't know why we keep having to have this argument all the time. Why can't the M7 guys stop beating their chests and acting like that's the only "fun transmission" to have? I have owned both manual and automatic high performance cars over the years and I can honestly say that I like them both for different reasons. If I could afford it, I'd have both a manual and an automatic Corvette for sure. I also hate it when people think that those of us with automatics cannot drive a manual. Sure, there are some people here who have injuries and can no longer drive manual comfortably. I'm not one of those people, but yet I chose an automatic still. I have no trouble driving a manual, in fact I'm the guy that my work comes and gets when they need a manual car moved in our warehouse because I can jump into any manual transmission car and immediately be able to drive it without stalling it (our warehouse is used to store a lot of high end sports cars for the winter and they are packed in tightly so in the spring they need to be shuffled around in order to get some of them out for their owners)
65fastback (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 10:18 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

I enjoy both manual and automatic transmissions. 9 years with a manual in my C6 and now 3 years with the automatic in my C7. What I really like about the automatic with paddles to be able to keep both hands on the steering wheel during spirited driving. The fact that it's faster is just a little icing on the cake.
Patman (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 11:01 AM
KCV
Pro

Received 442 Likes on 208 Posts

I have owned more manual transmission cars than automatics. I usually enjoy driving a manual but I got my Corvette with an automatic and every time I’m in traffic I do not regret it. Traffic in my city is getting worse by the day and driving a manual in stop-and-go traffic is no fun at all. Stop...let clutch out...go a few feet...push clutch in and stop...let clutch out, go a few feet...push clutch in and stop...let clutch out and maybe get up to second or third gear...push clutch in and stop...repeat for miles and miles...enough already...I give up.

I understand why manuals are being phased out worldwide. Automatics are now generally more efficient than manuals and automatics relieve some hassle in the city. Yeah, manuals are certainly more fun at times but in this increasingly crowded world automatics are the future. Accept it.
The following 2 users liked this post by KCV:
65fastback (11-19-2018), Patman (11-19-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To M7 to A8 regrets?

Old 11-19-2018, 01:17 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Recap

So far I’ve seen 1 guy kinda regret switching from a m7 to auto but after 2 years of driving the A8
Several other replies Saying no regrets .... thanks for the helpful replies !
Old 11-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

So....I am looking to upgrade from my base car and i am having a very hard time deciding on getting another M7 or switch to a A8. Looking at getting a z51 or hopefully a GS ( still a bit undecided between those two as well ) ....no z06

I am definitely NOT asking which is better! please lets not start that nonsense.

I just want to know if anyone here has made the switch from a M7 to the A8 and regretted it.
Thanks!
I had manuals in all my muscle cars, but when buying my first Vette in 2009 I knew I wanted the Auto Trans.
Reason being they had Paddles for manual shifting, otherwise I would have gone with a Manual Trans.
No the paddles do not replace what it's like to have a 3 peddle stick shift car, but what most don't talk about is how the new Auto Transmissions work.
It's not like the old days of when Auto transmissions just shifted up through the gears trying to reach the highest gear.
These Auto Transmissions are intuitive and adapt over time to how you drive and react accordingly.
I alternate between Auto Mode and Manual Paddle mode depending on the roads and how I want/need to use the transmission.
The A6 and A8 are throttle sensitive when accelerating or decelerating and will go in a higher or lower gear only when the speed or load requires it.
And I like my A8 in my 2016 C7 with the Z51 gearing 100% better than the A6 that was in the 2009.
The amount of throttle and higher rpm also controls how fast the Transmission will shift, the more throttle, the faster it will shift.
Under normal driving in Auto mode, just cruising back roads with twists and turns, up hill and down hill, the trans will change gears accordingly depending on speed.
On flat roads with a steady throttle, the trans will only up shift when speed is increased, otherwise it stays in the gear with the least load so it's not lugging.
Normal stop and go driving at 40-45mph it doesn't shift past 6th gear.
On the other hand, during extended leisurely cruising in V4 at 40-45 mph it will go in 7th and only jump to 8th when reaching 50mph.
All that is with normal driving.

It's a totally different animal using the throttle aggressively either in Auto Mode, or Paddle mode.
In Auto Mode you can use the Paddles with out putting it into Manual Paddle Mode.
The Transmisson will then stay in Paddle Mode for a short period of time after you stop using the paddles, or, press and hold the Up shift Paddle, which then forces it back into Auto Mode.
Also when in Auto Mode, if you get very aggressive with the throttle it will then go into Performance Mode, which essentially puts it in Paddle Mode and holds a gear like you're racing until again, you let off the throttle for a short period of time or, again press and hold the Up shift Paddle, to go back into Auto Mode.
With the shift lever in Paddle Mode, it operates the transmission like a Manual and you need to keep using the paddles, plain and simple, although there is a learning curve when finding out how it can be controlled to your liking and or stopping it from hitting the Rev Limiter because it will not up shift unless you use the Paddles.
Another note when strictly in Paddle Mode and cruising along in a certain gear and start to slow down for traffic etc, it will then automatically go to a lower gear when needed.
Then if you have to speed up again you need to up shift with the Paddles.
On the highway in Paddle Mode and need to pass, 2 or 3 quick taps on the down shift Paddle will get you into a lower gear quickly with minimal lag depending on your speed.
Or in Auto Mode on the highway and need to pass, instead of slamming the pedal to the metal, a Steady Progressive push on the gas pedal will let you safely control how many gears it will down shift depending on the road situation/traffic etc
It's fun going through the gears in Paddle Mode but takes practice to not hit the Rev Limiter.
In Auto mode though with a WOT run, the Transmission will rev to the Red Line and shift instantly before hitting the Rev Limiter.

Again, the Paddles will not satisfy the true Manual Transmission experience for those that like it.
But IMO, anyone thinking of going to the Auto Transmissions in these Corvettes should research what they are like and how they work.
Taking one out for a short test drive is not enough see all the things the Auto Trans does, there's a lot more to it than a transmission that shifts by itself.
If I was in your situation, I would Rent a Corvette with the Auto Trans and put some seat time in with it to get a good feel for what it does and doesn't do for your expectations.
Just my thoughts and experience going from the Manual Trans to the Auto.
Hope this helps with your decision either way
65fastback (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 02:59 PM
0Sandyeggo Designs
Former Vendor

Received 249 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by KCV
I have owned more manual transmission cars than automatics. I usually enjoy driving a manual but I got my Corvette with an automatic and every time I’m in traffic I do not regret it. Traffic in my city is getting worse by the day and driving a manual in stop-and-go traffic is no fun at all. Stop...let clutch out...go a few feet...push clutch in and stop...let clutch out, go a few feet...push clutch in and stop...let clutch out and maybe get up to second or third gear...push clutch in and stop...repeat for miles and miles...enough already...I give up.

I understand why manuals are being phased out worldwide. Automatics are now generally more efficient than manuals and automatics relieve some hassle in the city. Yeah, manuals are certainly more fun at times but in this increasingly crowded world automatics are the future. Accept it.
I absolutely love driving my C7 with a manual transmission. It's fun and it gives me a lot of control options. BUT, the times are changing. The cities are more crowded than ever. Traffic is always heavy here in So Cal. And when it gets bunched up unexpectedly there I am inching along while rowing the gears. Thank goodness the C7 clutch is light and the engine provides plenty of torque!

My next car will be a C7 (or C8) with an automatic. Not because it's my first choice but because out of necessity. And trust me, I will miss it...for a while.
Cheers,
Dave

Quick Reply: M7 to A8 regrets?